Advice on a pc for gaming none tech savy.

Hi guys im new here and to pc gaming, im looking to purchase a gaming pc but dont know were to start.
A work mate is selling a computer specs are

windows 7 64bit
cpu: i7 870 2.93
gpu: gtx 660 ti amp edition
hard drive 2 tb in 0 raid config
memory: 6 gigs of ram 1333
monitor : 1920 x 1080p

thats all the specs he has given me and im not sure if thats good or bad hes asking £650 for it.

My question is will this run games at a good setting and will it last me a few years, i dont want to buy it and it ending up being usless in 6 months time any advice would be appreciated, or should i just try some were like dell, i wouldnt have a clue how to build my own so thats out of the question and 700 is around my budget for said pc. thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about advice gaming tech savy
  1. please could any one advise?
  2. It's good for the price since you won't consider building it yourself. Any other prebuilt PC with specs like that could cost like £100 more.
    But be sure to check that those are really the components inside the computer.
  3. Especially check that it's really a 660 Ti, as that's brand new while the processor is a couple of years old. If it really is, go for it.
  4. ^That's true. It's a good deal now, but your next upgrade will have to include a new motherboard as well as a new CPU, an extra £100 or so. I still think it's worth it, though.
  5. just understand that you are buying a system with a dead socket, as in the upgrade ability of that motherboard is over.
  6. not familiar with pounds, but you could probably build a very nice new system from the amount you have to spend.
  7. Hi guys i read through the replys earlier and really appreciate you taking the time to help me out,
    i had a drive down to the he guys house this evening and he opened up the case so i could have alook at the hardware. He shown me through windows the 6 gigs of ram and the graphics device and i seen it actually installed,
    its a zotec 660 ti amp edition which is slightly over clocked, he shown me battlefield 3 running on ultra settings aswel ,
    am a bit worried about the system having a dead socket daswilhelm mentioned, does that mean the system wont last that long? the guy said he would sell for 600 £50 off his original asking price but dont want to pay and have to upgrade in a few months time, does the system look like it will last a couple of years of highish settings gaming? sorry to be a pain im new to this and dont want to waste alot of money for nothing.
  8. Short answer: yes. Not maxed settings, though you'll max many games right now, but "highish" certainly.
  9. Good morning, Thank you for your reply kajabla, im happy with that guess i will pick the pc up after work in that case, appreciate all the help and info you guys gave me thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Gaming Systems