User icon in start menu

All,

I used to have a user icon at the top of my XP style Start Menu, but now it
is gone. All I can remember doing is switching to the Windows Classic Start
Menu for a minute one day, and then switching back to the XP style of Start
Menu. When I switched back, the icon was gone, and just my user name was
listed. Everything else about the Start Menu was untouched, buyt the icon
was gone.

The only other thing that I had messed with was in the System Properties
Dialogue Box, on the Advanced Tab, I had clicked the Performance Settings
button, and selected the radio button for "Adjust for best performance."
Could that have killed my icon? I want it back!

By the way, I have heard that Windows XP will not display user icons on a
mchine which logs onto a domain, but I do not log onto a network on the
machine in question, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, if I log off, and
reach the login screen again, there is a user icon on the login screen. So I
do still have an icon, it is just not displaying in my Start Menu anymore.

Spiff

Turn the Welcome Screen on.

To turn the Welcome screen on or off
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_logon_at_welcome_page.mspx

Also see this...
Remove the Username and picture from Windows XP New Start Menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/removepicture.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Xs7rmjhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Spaceman Spiff <SpamMeNot@All.com> hunted and pecked:
> All,
>
> I used to have a user icon at the top of my XP style Start Menu, but now
> it is gone. All I can remember doing is switching to the Windows Classic
> Start Menu for a minute one day, and then switching back to the XP style
> of Start Menu. When I switched back, the icon was gone, and just my user
> name was listed. Everything else about the Start Menu was untouched, buyt
> the icon was gone.
>
> The only other thing that I had messed with was in the System Properties
> Dialogue Box, on the Advanced Tab, I had clicked the Performance Settings
> button, and selected the radio button for "Adjust for best performance."
> Could that have killed my icon? I want it back!
>
> By the way, I have heard that Windows XP will not display user icons on a
> mchine which logs onto a domain, but I do not log onto a network on the
> machine in question, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, if I log off,
> and reach the login screen again, there is a user icon on the login
> screen. So I do still have an icon, it is just not displaying in my Start
> Menu anymore.
>
> Spiff

Wesley,

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Turn the Welcome Screen on.

Does this mean that if I use Start, Run, control userpasswords2, and set my
user name to log in automatically, there is no way that I can have my user
icon displaying in the Start Menu? This is another thing that I had done,
right when my user icon first disappeared. I forgot to mention that in my
original post, which probably wasn't helpful.

I don't really want the Welcome Screen back, as I am the only user who logs
onto this machine with any regularity, and I wish to avoid the extra step of
clicking on my user name in order to proceed to a desktop every time I start
Windows.

My two goals are:

1) bypass the Welcome Screen without clicking on my user name, and
2) having my user icon display in the Start menu

Are my goals compatible with one another?

Spiff

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Turn the Welcome Screen on.
>
> To turn the Welcome screen on or off
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_logon_at_welcome_page.mspx
>
> Also see this...
> Remove the Username and picture from Windows XP New Start
> Menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/removepicture.htm
>

> In news:%23Xs7rmjhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Spaceman Spiff <SpamMeNot@All.com> hunted and pecked:
>> All,
>>
>> I used to have a user icon at the top of my XP style
>> Start Menu, but now
>> it is gone. All I can remember doing is switching to the
>> Windows Classic
>> Start Menu for a minute one day, and then switching back
>> to the XP style
>> of Start Menu. When I switched back, the icon was gone,
>> and just my user
>> name was listed. Everything else about the Start Menu
>> was untouched, buyt
>> the icon was gone.
>>
>> The only other thing that I had messed with was in the
>> System Properties
>> Dialogue Box, on the Advanced Tab, I had clicked the
>> Performance Settings
>> button, and selected the radio button for "Adjust for
>> best performance."
>> Could that have killed my icon? I want it back!
>>
>> By the way, I have heard that Windows XP will not
>> display user icons on a
>> mchine which logs onto a domain, but I do not log onto a
>> network on the
>> machine in question, so that shouldn't be an issue.
>> Also, if I log off,
>> and reach the login screen again, there is a user icon
>> on the login
>> screen. So I do still have an icon, it is just not
>> displaying in my Start
>> Menu anymore.
>>
>> Spiff

Spiff,

No. You do not have to change logging in automatically. I log in
automatically and I have the Welcome Screen turned on. I never even see the
Welcome Screen.

Disabling the Welcome Screen removes the picture from the XP Start Menu.
The Welcome Screen and the Start Menu use the same picture.

[[User Picture is Missing on Start Menu: It's only there if you are using
XP themes. If using classic there is no picture. Go to Start/Run and type
in: regsvr32 shimgvw ]]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm

Disadvantages of having the Welcome Screen turned off.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete opens the Windows Security window if the Welcome screen
is turned off instead of opening the Task Manager.

The Welcome screen must be turned on to see the Users tab in Task Manager.
(Fast User Switching must also be turned on.)

Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on.

Disabling the Welcome Screen removes the user picture from the XP Start
Menu. The Welcome Screen and the Start Menu use the same picture.

The only disadvantage that I see to having the Welcome Screen turned on is
that you get a lot of Failure Audits; Event ID 529 & 680.

Failure Events Are Logged When the Welcome Screen Is Enabled
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305822

[[Domain Members
This feature is not supported on computers that are a member of a domain.]]
How To Add or Change a User's Picture in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292434

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uYZQx93hFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Spaceman Spiff <SpamMeNot@All.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> Turn the Welcome Screen on.
>
> Does this mean that if I use Start, Run, control userpasswords2, and set
> my user name to log in automatically, there is no way that I can have my
> user icon displaying in the Start Menu? This is another thing that I had
> done, right when my user icon first disappeared. I forgot to mention that
> in my original post, which probably wasn't helpful.
>
> I don't really want the Welcome Screen back, as I am the only user who
> logs onto this machine with any regularity, and I wish to avoid the extra
> step of clicking on my user name in order to proceed to a desktop every
> time I start Windows.
>
> My two goals are:
>
> 1) bypass the Welcome Screen without clicking on my user name, and
> 2) having my user icon display in the Start menu
>
> Are my goals compatible with one another?
>
> Spiff

> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> Turn the Welcome Screen on.
>>
>> To turn the Welcome screen on or off

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_logon_at_welcome_page.mspx

>> Also see this...
>> Remove the Username and picture from Windows XP New Start
>> Menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/removepicture.htm
>>

>> In news:%23Xs7rmjhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Spaceman Spiff <SpamMeNot@All.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I used to have a user icon at the top of my XP style
>>> Start Menu, but now
>>> it is gone. All I can remember doing is switching to the
>>> Windows Classic
>>> Start Menu for a minute one day, and then switching back
>>> to the XP style
>>> of Start Menu. When I switched back, the icon was gone,
>>> and just my user
>>> name was listed. Everything else about the Start Menu
>>> was untouched, buyt
>>> the icon was gone.
>>>
>>> The only other thing that I had messed with was in the
>>> System Properties
>>> Dialogue Box, on the Advanced Tab, I had clicked the
>>> Performance Settings
>>> button, and selected the radio button for "Adjust for
>>> best performance."
>>> Could that have killed my icon? I want it back!
>>>
>>> By the way, I have heard that Windows XP will not
>>> display user icons on a
>>> mchine which logs onto a domain, but I do not log onto a
>>> network on the
>>> machine in question, so that shouldn't be an issue.
>>> Also, if I log off,
>>> and reach the login screen again, there is a user icon
>>> on the login
>>> screen. So I do still have an icon, it is just not
>>> displaying in my Start
>>> Menu anymore.
>>>
>>> Spiff

Wesley,

Well, checking the "Use the Welcome Screen" checkbox failed to bring back
the user icon in the Start Menu. However, a different section of your post
solved the problem. At least I got my user icon back in the Start Menu.
Thanks so much for your help.

Wesley wrote:
> User Picture is Missing on Start Menu:
> It's only there if you are using XP themes.
> If using classic there is no picture.

Sure enough, in the appearance tab of the Display Properties dialogue box, I
was using the Classic theme, not the XP theme. All I had to do was to switch
back to the XP theme, and the user icon reappeared in my Start Menu. A
thousand other things that I hate about the XP theme also came back, but I
guess I can deal with those by "modifying" the XP theme! I sure hope so.

Can you think of a better way for me to accomplish the same thing? I only
really want to use the XP Start Meni, not the whole XP theme.

Spiff