Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 13, 2013 2:18:40 AM

Im having trouble deciding on what processor i should get.This will be my first time building a pc. I want to decide on a cpu before deciding on the motherboard case etc.Budget of 650 and it will be for gaming. Been looking at the amd fx 8350 and i5 3570k.Will these 2 cpu be overkill? Also what brand makes good motherboards and cases?I've heard that for motherboards gigabyte and asus are in the top.Is that true?

More about : advice

a c 185 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 2:26:04 AM

You won't get a gaming PC with those CPU's for $650!
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 2:26:18 AM

If you really want to play games like skyrim, BF3, and other great games that need high spec, then it's not overkill I think. But from this chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... , I think i5 3570K is still better than fx8350 for gaming purpose.

for motherboard I think Asrock could be your choice too :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 2:35:22 AM

Being that it is a gaming rig. I would probably choose a GPU first and then go from there. It will determine your motherboard and CPU if your budget is set there. If you need windows etc.

To answer your question. AMD side. I would pick up an FX 6300 and not spend a penny more.

If you're ok with not touching anything in your computer or are not into upgrading hardware much. I would pick an i3 3220 Intel side. Or even a non K i5.

Just don't go z77+i3 later pick up an i5. Waste of money IMO.

As far as motherboards are concerned. I've built several with Gigabyte boards and have enjoyed all of them. Mine are all Gigabyte so I am a bit biased and recommend them. Would like to try ASUS and even Biostar one day.

ASUS has a lot of fans and make good products. Especially high end. I just don't like how even their lower end boards carry high price tags despite sometimes even carrying less features.

m
0
l
January 13, 2013 2:35:31 AM

amuffin said:
You won't get a gaming PC with those CPU's for $650!

how come? is that true? I thought it would be sufficient :D 
just need to choose carefully, eventhough it's pretty tight budget for that processor level :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 2:47:02 AM

Yea it is kind of true. Those procs are $200 give or take. If you need windows, ~$100. Half the budget and still missing 7 items. Most importantly GPU.

Ram ~ $20-30. 4gb RAM
PSU ~ $40-50. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic. Rosewill (I like em).
Case ~ $50
HDD ~ $70
DVD drive ~ $20
Mobo ~ $60-120 = Varies a lot here.
GPU ~ $130-200. Prefer $200 end here for a gaming card. i.e. 7850

Really rough calculations.
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 2:51:48 AM

tylerlu97 said:
Im having trouble deciding on what processor i should get.This will be my first time building a pc. I want to decide on a cpu before deciding on the motherboard case etc.Budget of 650 and it will be for gaming. Been looking at the amd fx 8350 and i5 3570k.Will these 2 cpu be overkill? Also what brand makes good motherboards and cases?I've heard that for motherboards gigabyte and asus are in the top.Is that true?


People saying you cant build a computer for $650 bucks?
Lies

Corsair 500w
AMD Phenom ii x4 965
GigaByte 990fx
G.Skill DDR3 1866
1TB Hard Drive
GigaByte 660

http://tinypic.com/r/347ft40/6


This is better then my computer and i max everything out

The computer $700 Buck + $ 60 MIR
You can buy them item in combo on newegg and save $60 bucks
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 3:01:04 AM

I know it would be enough, because I build my rig with core i3 3220, HD6670, corsair 2x4, psu, and motherboard only for $470 :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 3:01:39 AM

cmstormscouts said:
People saying you cant build a computer for $650 bucks?
Lies

Corsair 500w
AMD Phenom ii x4 965
GigaByte 990fx
G.Skill DDR3 1866
1TB Hard Drive
GigaByte 660

http://tinypic.com/r/347ft40/6


This is better then my computer and i max everything out

The computer $700 Buck + $ 50 MIR
You can buy them item in combo on newegg and save $60 bucks


We are referring to including a ~$200 dollar proc in that budget. Which is more than the 965 you listed by at least $100.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 3:21:51 AM

Is it do-able within your budget, yes. Do you need a crazy ass 8 core super mega threaded ultra beast for games, no. Mainstream games are just beginning to utilize four cores and quads have been around for over 5 years so that goes to show how long it will be until 6 or 8 cores are fully utilized in games. Get an i5 of some sort or an FX-6100 and build around that. It will free up funds to invest into your GPU which will enhance your systems gaming ability more than having more cores.
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 4:54:14 PM

ohyouknow said:
We are referring to including a ~$200 dollar proc in that budget. Which is more than the 965 you listed by at least $100.


Here's the thing a AMD Phenom ii x 965 beats some of the fx series
Thats why AMD stop making the phenom cause it was powerful they the new fx when released

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=102

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 more what you need
I got a AMD Phenom ii x4 955 that is slower than AMD Phenom ii x 965

But if you want that $200 hundred dollar processor
here's a good processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This beats a i5 3570k with is $30 bucks more

Im 100% sure you wont be using all that performances
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 5:04:29 PM

tylerlu97 said:
Im having trouble deciding on what processor i should get.This will be my first time building a pc. I want to decide on a cpu before deciding on the motherboard case etc.Budget of 650 and it will be for gaming. Been looking at the amd fx 8350 and i5 3570k.Will these 2 cpu be overkill? Also what brand makes good motherboards and cases?I've heard that for motherboards gigabyte and asus are in the top.Is that true?


Hi

I may suggest you down cost a bit.

FX 6300 $130
Gigabyte 970FX UD3 $100
Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3 1600 (8GB kit) $50
HD7850 $180
XFX 550w Core Edition Pro $70

Chassis, Drives and Opticals are your own preference I am sure you can fit that into the remaining budget and still walk away with cash off the $650 budget.


m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 5:27:24 PM

sarinaide said:
Hi

I may suggest you down cost a bit.

FX 6300 $130
Gigabyte 970FX UD3 $100
Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3 1600 (8GB kit) $50
HD7850 $180
XFX 550w Core Edition Pro $70

Chassis, Drives and Opticals are your own preference I am sure you can fit that into the remaining budget and still walk away with cash off the $650 budget.


+1 to that
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 7:28:27 PM

cmstormscouts said:
Here's the thing a AMD Phenom ii x 965 beats some of the fx series
Thats why AMD stop making the phenom cause it was powerful they the new fx when released

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=102

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 more what you need
I got a AMD Phenom ii x4 955 that is slower than AMD Phenom ii x 965

But if you want that $200 hundred dollar processor
here's a good processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This beats a i5 3570k with is $30 bucks more

Im 100% sure you wont be using all that performances

I'm not sure with what you're talking about, from here
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=697
I think FX8350 isn't beating i5 3570k, but for $30 maybe it's worthed.
but do you need another costly cooling system for that FX8350?
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 9:33:12 PM

You realize that intel Partners with anandtech
I have watch video when the fx 8350 beats the i5 3570k
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 9:33:45 PM

kovzone said:
I'm not sure with what you're talking about, from here
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=697
I think FX8350 isn't beating i5 3570k, but for $30 maybe it's worthed.
but do you need another costly cooling system for that FX8350?


You realize that intel Partners with anandtech
I have watch video when the fx 8350 beats the i5 3570k
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 9:37:37 PM

cmstormscouts said:
You realize that intel Partners with anandtech
I have watch video when the fx 8350 beats the i5 3570k

maybe it's depends on OC?
m
0
l
!