How do you schedule defrag? Is it possible?

Thanks

It cannot be scheduled. If you need to schedule disk defragmentation,
use the Defrag.exe command line tool. For additional information
about using the command line Defrag.exe tool, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows XP

Alternative:

PerfectDisk includes defrag scheduling - easy to setup
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MElizabeth" wrote:

| How do you schedule defrag? Is it possible?
|
| Thanks

How to Automate Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555098

There are two defrag tools in XP.

dfrg.msc is the pretty one that opens from
Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools.

defrag.exe the command line tool that runs in the command prompt.
defrag.exe is the one that you can schedule.

Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283080

How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569

How to Defragment Your Disk Drive Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848

You can also download defrag_all2.vbs.

defrag_all2.vbs - Defrag All Hard Drives - Can be run as a scheduled task
Does not create an error log
© Doug Knox - rev 03/29/2002
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23pOT$OnhFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
MElizabeth <MElizabeth@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> How do you schedule defrag? Is it possible?
>
> Thanks

Yes it can be scheduled, and for all hard disks, as well. <G>

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Defrag All Hard Disks (Can run as a Scheduled Task).

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"MElizabeth" <MElizabeth@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23pOT$OnhFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> How do you schedule defrag? Is it possible?
>
> Thanks

Thanks to all... I'll pass along the info.

ms