Sign in with
Your question

Hd 5850 oven trick questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2012 1:13:46 PM

i got a 5850 that i havent tried yet but told it doesnt work and ive took the heatsink off and i have 2 questions if anyone can answer

1) there was heat paste plastered on the gpu and around it, does it affect the gpu with so much on?
2) im not sure if its missing capacitors so i took a pic to show you guys if you can help

thanks in advance :) 

a c 103 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 4:22:35 PM

why would it be missing caps? was the card abused? and no the extra heat paste does not hurt the gpu worst case scenario it raises the temps of the gpu a degree or two nothing major
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 4:43:58 PM

jonno121 said:
i got a 5850 that i havent tried yet but told it doesnt work and ive took the heatsink off and i have 2 questions if anyone can answer

1) there was heat paste plastered on the gpu and around it, does it affect the gpu with so much on?
2) im not sure if its missing capacitors so i took a pic to show you guys if you can help

thanks in advance :) 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/507/img6703u.jpg/

If those spaces where there are no caps have previously had caps fitted there will be evidence of solder marks on the reverse. If they are nice clean holes then they are just there for a different design. It looks like they are so my next question is what make is it. I'm not even sure at this stage that it is a 5850.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
July 11, 2012 7:39:01 PM

Says on the box:
Ordering code: HD-585X-ZAFC
HD 5850 725M 1GB DDR5 DP HDMI DUAL DVI
made in China

and there are no clean holes, the 3 on the bottom right are filled with solder, ive put it in the oven twice and no luck, but maybe it could be my psu not having enough power? i have a 700W Alpine due to sticking to a budget
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 1:16:09 PM

Well from what you are saying it does sound like it has some caps missing. If it does then the oven trick as you put it wont make any difference.
Its basically you doing a DIY Bake to repair any solder cracks. Usually on a motherboard. I have seen articles where it has worked on a Motherboard. I have seen a few attempts with a GPU . None were successful.

Mactronix :) 
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 1:28:34 PM

I have actually heard stories of people doing the oven trick with 8800gtx's and ultras and it worked out well for them....its a temporary fix that will just repeat itself over time.....but as mactronix said if you are missing caps then the oven will do nothing for you. your best bet is either get another card or try and rma this one maybe you will get lucky and get a free card out of it.
!