[New Build] Need a bit of help and advice please

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
[Really sorry in advance for the extremely long post]

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here although I have used the site a number of times for answers about stuff.
I have a few questions about my new build so I don't make any mistakes as I has been a good few years since I last built a PC so I'm quite rusty and a bit out of touch.

My new build would be used for light/medium gaming and as a kind of HTPC, but mainly for playing the ARMA 2 mod DayZ and Skyrim. I'm not expecting to be able to run these games on the highest maxed out ultra settings and get 200fps lol, but more realistically on high settings and at a decent playable framerate, just better than on console 40/45fps would be great. (I have Skyrim on console and it does NOT run very well.)
So I would really appreciate it if you could look at the list of parts I've chosen and let me know what you think on whether it could run these games at a decent level and if there is something I may have overlooked

#Motherboard: Asus M5A97 PRO AM3+ AMD 970
#CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz BE AM3 (I picked the older Phenoms over the Bulldozers as I haven't read a single good review about them! Also I would be overclocking to 4GHz or as close as)
#CPU HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
#RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Memory Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 Red
#Graphics card: XFX ATI Radeon 6870 900MHz 1GB
#PSU: Corsair Memory 600W Builder Series CX V2
#Case and HDD's I already have, but I would be adding a small SSD for the OS in a month or 2.

My first question, I used 5 different PSU calculators to get a rough idea on what PSU wattage to get, most of them recommended 500/550w so I went for the Corsair 600w, but then I used the PSU calculator on the ASUS site and that said minimum 700w which confused me as that's quite a difference! So would the Corsair 600w be more than enough or should I go for something with a bit more juice like these 2 below. Plus I may want to add another graphics card in a few months:
# OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 700W
# Corsair 700W GS Gaming Series High Performance 80+ Bronze

Second question, if I wanted to add another graphics card in a few months am I right in thinking that this motherboard could NOT take 2x Nvidia graphics cards because they need to be in SLI configuration, so I would have to use 2x ATI/AMD cards in Crossfire on this board???

Final question is about the CPU fan, is it correct that the Hyper 212 Evo has a fixing bracket so it can be orientated to flow the warm air in any direction??? As I would need it to exhaust towards the back of the case not the top.

Well anybody that didn't fall asleep and made it to the end, thank you :)
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Forgive me if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, it's been a long day :)

Purchase date: Next week or 2
Budget: £400-£450 for Mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU. All other parts I have already
OS: Win 7 Ultimate 64, until Win 8 is out and any bugs are sorted. Have a copy ready
Monitor: Will be connected to 1080p TV (although may buy a monitor at later date)

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Ok you think 600w should be enough, thats good to hear. I'd estimated about 500w from reading the power stats of the parts I'd chosen so I went for 600w to be sure, but that ASUS PSU calculator really confused me with it saying i needed a minimum of 700w and i did it 3 times to make sure i hadn't made a mistake. Strange :-/

I know that PSU's should always be a good brand and quality which is why i opted for the Corsair, I've never had any experience with OCZ, have you personally had any dealings with them, are they a good PSU brand???
Also as I want to do a bit of overclocking and I'm thinking I may want to add and crossfire an exrta gfx card maybe around christmas, do you think i would be better off going for a 700w, or is that overkill???