Sign in with
Your question

Video issues, is my graphics card or power supply going?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Video
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2012 1:35:39 PM

Hello, I'm having an issue with my video settings and I need some advice. The computer has been working great, randomly I turned on my computer and the system no longer detected the video drivers. I only have a choice between two resolutions, 800x600 and 1024x768. Also, when windows 7 is loading, I get the green loading bar at the bottom of the screen (like vista) rather than the windows 7 emblem that swoops in.

I have tried the following steps.

Running a registry cleaner
Reinstalled the video drivers
Reformating the computer
Reformat the computer using a spare WD raptor hard drive

I have a feeling my graphics card is on it's way or the psu is failing and it cannot produce enough power. Most of my components have been replaced over the years but the power supply is at least 5 years old. But honestly any advice would be great before I buy new parts.

I have an older e8400 dual core system, gigabyte motherboard, 8gb memory, corsair 450w psu, evga gtx460 1gb superclocked, vertex4 ssd, asus vs248h-p monitor.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

More about : video issues graphics card power supply

a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 2:19:51 PM

sounds like a hardware problem. Can you plug in another graphic card and check if it works? That would tell you whether if its a faulty psu or faulty gpu.

or you can check your gpu on another rig.

Either way, let us know the results.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 2:45:06 PM

also you might wanna double check if the pci express slot is activated in your bios.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 3:06:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes I have checked bio for and it checks out. However, the resolution of the text in bios looks fuzzy. Unfortunately I don't have anymore hardware to test with, perhaps a friends computer.

I am going to buy a 750w powersupply, regardless I should have something larger than a 450w for this system. If it turns out it's not the issue at least I'll have the power for a better card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 3:18:44 PM

fair enough, no harm in having a bigger psu, save you hassle of upgrading your psu later on :D 
m
l
July 12, 2012 11:36:08 AM

So an update on my progress. Last night I purchased an OCZ ZS 750w for $55 and replaced the Corsair 450w. Well I am happy to have the power, sadly it did not correct the problem. I will try some older drivers this afternoon after work.

So now it is time for a new graphics card. I found the GTX480 on Newegg for $209. Does anyone have a recommendation on a mid-high end card?

To the best of my recollection, here is my system.

Intel E8400 Dual Core 3.0ghz (OC 3.75ghz)
Antec Large fan cpu cooler (forget the model)
Gigabyte 775 Motherboard (1 PCI-E slot)
8gb Kingston HyperX Memory DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX460 1gb Superclocked (830/950)
OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD (Windows 7 Home x64)
WD V-Raptor 300gb (Extra Storage)
ASUS Xonar DX
LG DVDRW x 2
OCZ ZS-750w Power Supply

For the exception of the board and processor which was purchased in 2006/2007, all of these hardware components have been upgraded within the last 10 months. My last upgrade was the Vertex 4 in May.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 11:44:53 AM

since your psu is definitely capable of handling it, go for the gtx 480. The extra $50 is not worth it for the hd7850 even tho its newer, quieter and cooler. Since your cpu is limited to dual core (despite the high O.C) there is no point of going for anything higher.

if you have problems dealing with heat and noise of the gtx 480, then you can go for gtx560 ti/ hd 6870. But tbh none of those cards will be a decent upgrade from the gtx460 superclocked. I say get the gtx 480 its your best option right now.

edit- I was able to find a cheap msi hd7850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it also comes with free dirt showdown coupon. Seems like a good deal to me.

m
l
July 12, 2012 1:20:53 PM

Thanks again, I am partial to Nvidia cards as the ATi I have purchased seem to give me driver issues. I will probably buy the gtx480 but I'm hesitant because of the 6 series for better performance and pci-e 3.0. I plan on purchasing a new board & cpu in the next year so maybe I'll spend the extra and buy a future proof graphics card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:48:06 PM

marine001 said:
Thanks again, I am partial to Nvidia cards as the ATi I have purchased seem to give me driver issues. I will probably buy the gtx480 but I'm hesitant because of the 6 series for better performance and pci-e 3.0. I plan on purchasing a new board & cpu in the next year so maybe I'll spend the extra and buy a future proof graphics card.

well the gtx 670 will be an overkill for your rig, you need at least a decent quadcore i5 processor to match that thing. I know how you feel since I am a huge fan of nvidia gpus myself. Maybe you can wait for the nvidia 660 series they should be out soon maybe within a month as some are suggesting.
m
l
July 13, 2012 10:40:34 PM

So I spent more time trouble shooting and found that the HDMI port on the graphics card is defective. I tested the monitor hdmi port with a dvd player just to rule it out and it worked fine. I plugged the graphics card in using DVI and it looks great! For now the card is working... for how long who knows. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice it was much appreciated.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 1:00:00 AM

its nice to hear the problem has been resolved. dvi-d is better than hdmi anyway. So enjoy and upgrade when your ready now that you have more time to wait for the gtx660/ newer gpus.
m
l
!