Profession change at lvl 49

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Hello -

I've got a level 49 paladin that I play every now and then, because I
created a rogue a few weeks ago and am loving him. (he's at level 34) I've
also started getting into making money; the rogue has 120gold now, mostly
from selling things at AH. He's a skinner and leatherworker, which I like.
But, back to the paladin. He's a blacksmith/miner. But I'm seriously
considering scraping blacksmithing and changing to either herbalism or
maybe even skinning for the sole purpose of supplying either my mage (just
22) or the rogue with what they may need, then selling the rest at AH.
Blacksmithing is such a PITA to me, but I'm wondering if it's worth it in
the long run to keep blacksmithing. (I'm at 212, working on master
weaponsmith, to swordsmith if I keep it) I hardly ever make something I
can actually use.

So my question is, would I make just as much money keeping two gathering
professions and selling materials as I would making weapons and selling
them? (of course ease is a big factor. It's one thing to mine veins when
you see 'em and sell the stuff, but going around and gathering x number of
jade, moss agate, malachite, citrine, iron ore, mithril ore, etc. ad nausem
is just not my idea of time well spent. And it just seems that there are
much fewer veins than herbs or animals)


Thanks for any help....
12 answers Last reply
More about profession change
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    skinning in my experience is not a good source of money. Also,
    remember that a mine node can be hit up to 4 times, while you can only
    gather a herb once.
    The best profession for a rogue is herb/alchemy by far. That provides
    them with the buffs they lack.
    If your rogue is a skinner, why have your paladin do skinning too?
    If all you really want is money, then go herbalist/miner.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    not really, a single mining node can yield 4 (or more?) metals, 4(or
    more?) stones, and even possibly a gem.
    But both give lots more money than skinning, so for money making I
    suggest mining/herbalism, but for a rogue I would do herbalism/alchemy
    (little less money but much more useful)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    wolfing wrote:
    > not really, a single mining node can yield 4 (or more?) metals, 4(or
    > more?) stones, and even possibly a gem.

    However, herbs sell for much more per unit.

    > But both give lots more money than skinning,

    Potentially. You make money off of skinning in bulk and the side stuff
    you get off the corpse that you skinned. You can move leather much
    faster than herbs or bars. Plus, you don't need to toggle the mini-map.

    Regards,
    Noal
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    I don't advise taking Herbalism/Mining, the main reason being that you
    can have only one "resource" radar active.
    You can't find minerals and herbs at the same time, you will have to
    switch between them if you want to find both.
    In my opinion, having to switch between them almost constantly(if you
    don't want to miss a resource) becomes to much of a chore to make for a
    rewarding playing experience.

    jab3 wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've got a level 49 paladin that I play every now and then, because I
    > created a rogue a few weeks ago and am loving him. (he's at level 34) I've
    > also started getting into making money; the rogue has 120gold now, mostly
    > from selling things at AH. He's a skinner and leatherworker, which I like.
    > But, back to the paladin. He's a blacksmith/miner. But I'm seriously
    > considering scraping blacksmithing and changing to either herbalism or
    > maybe even skinning for the sole purpose of supplying either my mage (just
    > 22) or the rogue with what they may need, then selling the rest at AH.
    > Blacksmithing is such a PITA to me, but I'm wondering if it's worth it in
    > the long run to keep blacksmithing. (I'm at 212, working on master
    > weaponsmith, to swordsmith if I keep it) I hardly ever make something I
    > can actually use.
    >
    > So my question is, would I make just as much money keeping two gathering
    > professions and selling materials as I would making weapons and selling
    > them? (of course ease is a big factor. It's one thing to mine veins when
    > you see 'em and sell the stuff, but going around and gathering x number of
    > jade, moss agate, malachite, citrine, iron ore, mithril ore, etc. ad nausem
    > is just not my idea of time well spent. And it just seems that there are
    > much fewer veins than herbs or animals)
    >
    >
    > Thanks for any help....
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    In <1124829073.254073.224640@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> writes:

    > remember that a mine node can be hit up to 4 times, while you can only
    > gather a herb once.

    A plant may yield up to three specimens. It's a wash.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    Herbs tend to be a lot easier to find though, especially randomly.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    On 23 Aug 2005 15:48:10 -0700, V <valentin_ionita@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I don't advise taking Herbalism/Mining, the main reason being that you
    > can have only one "resource" radar active.
    > You can't find minerals and herbs at the same time, you will have to
    > switch between them if you want to find both.
    > In my opinion, having to switch between them almost constantly(if you
    > don't want to miss a resource) becomes to much of a chore to make for a
    > rewarding playing experience.

    This can of course be addressed by using the 'Gatherer' add-on which
    remembers the nodes/herbs you have already used. Admittedly, you still
    have the problem in new areas but if you revisit a zone later on you
    will know where to check for respawns of the herbs/nodes.

    Just my 2 cents
    Urbin

    --
    Urbin (49), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Sneak (7), Troll Rogue (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Gorosh (5), Tauren Druid (PvP) @sunstrider.uk
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    Urbin wrote:

    > On 23 Aug 2005 15:48:10 -0700, V <valentin_ionita@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> I don't advise taking Herbalism/Mining, the main reason being that you
    >> can have only one "resource" radar active.
    >> You can't find minerals and herbs at the same time, you will have to
    >> switch between them if you want to find both.
    >> In my opinion, having to switch between them almost constantly(if you
    >> don't want to miss a resource) becomes to much of a chore to make for a
    >> rewarding playing experience.

    Yeah, that could be problematic, but it seems as though I run across herbs
    more than I do veins, and that's without herbalism but with find minerals
    on.


    > This can of course be addressed by using the 'Gatherer' add-on which
    > remembers the nodes/herbs you have already used. Admittedly, you still
    > have the problem in new areas but if you revisit a zone later on you
    > will know where to check for respawns of the herbs/nodes.

    Yeah, I do have that mod; that could help some. Thanks for reminding me. :)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    wolfing wrote:

    > skinning in my experience is not a good source of money. Also,
    > remember that a mine node can be hit up to 4 times, while you can only
    > gather a herb once.
    > The best profession for a rogue is herb/alchemy by far. That provides
    > them with the buffs they lack.
    > If your rogue is a skinner, why have your paladin do skinning too?
    > If all you really want is money, then go herbalist/miner.

    I probably should have done herbalism/alchemy, but I've also got a level 22
    Mage who does that, and I may havebeen thinking I would play the two about
    equally and build them together. But the rogue has quickly become my
    favorite....by far the most played of my characters. So in hindsight,
    perhaps I should have done herbalism/alchemy, but I've also heard
    mining/engineering is good because of the extra weapons you can make
    (mechanical pets/bombs). /shrug

    I think I'm going to stick with leatherworking/skinning for the rogue
    though. Built up too much now. :) Still haven't decided about the
    blacksmithing though.

    Thanks!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    jab3 wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've got a level 49 paladin that I play every now and then, because I
    > created a rogue a few weeks ago and am loving him. (he's at level 34) I've
    > also started getting into making money; the rogue has 120gold now, mostly
    > from selling things at AH. He's a skinner and leatherworker, which I like.
    > But, back to the paladin. He's a blacksmith/miner. But I'm seriously
    > considering scraping blacksmithing and changing to either herbalism or
    > maybe even skinning for the sole purpose of supplying either my mage (just
    > 22) or the rogue with what they may need, then selling the rest at AH.
    > Blacksmithing is such a PITA to me, but I'm wondering if it's worth it in
    > the long run to keep blacksmithing. (I'm at 212, working on master
    > weaponsmith, to swordsmith if I keep it) I hardly ever make something I
    > can actually use.
    >
    > So my question is, would I make just as much money keeping two gathering
    > professions and selling materials as I would making weapons and selling
    > them? (of course ease is a big factor. It's one thing to mine veins when
    > you see 'em and sell the stuff, but going around and gathering x number of
    > jade, moss agate, malachite, citrine, iron ore, mithril ore, etc. ad nausem
    > is just not my idea of time well spent. And it just seems that there are
    > much fewer veins than herbs or animals)
    >
    >
    > Thanks for any help....
    >
    Don't forget that a paladin can't use daggers, so you're never going to
    be able to use Finkle's Skinner with that character. Not a problem right
    now but, something you may find frustrating later and you want to skin
    beasts/dragons above level 61. You can do the 61's with the glove
    enchant (305 total skill), beyond that you need Finkle's for getting the
    Hide from the Beast and Dragon/kin captains/bosses (310 or 315 required).

    Up to you, but my recomendation is not to take the Paladin down the
    skinning route.

    Cameron
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    Cameron wrote:

    > jab3 wrote:
    >> So my question is, would I make just as much money keeping two gathering
    >> professions and selling materials as I would making weapons and selling
    >> them? (of course ease is a big factor. It's one thing to mine veins
    >> when you see 'em and sell the stuff, but going around and gathering x
    >> number of jade, moss agate, malachite, citrine, iron ore, mithril ore,
    >> etc. ad nausem
    >> is just not my idea of time well spent. And it just seems that there are
    >> much fewer veins than herbs or animals)
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help....
    >>
    > Don't forget that a paladin can't use daggers, so you're never going to
    > be able to use Finkle's Skinner with that character. Not a problem right
    > now but, something you may find frustrating later and you want to skin
    > beasts/dragons above level 61. You can do the 61's with the glove
    > enchant (305 total skill), beyond that you need Finkle's for getting the
    > Hide from the Beast and Dragon/kin captains/bosses (310 or 315 required).
    >
    > Up to you, but my recomendation is not to take the Paladin down the
    > skinning route.
    >
    > Cameron

    Ah, that's a good point. I didn't realize that, perhaps I will either stay
    with blacksmithing or go with herbalism. (I do have the gatherer mod)

    Thanks for the input.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

    Remember skinning slows you down if you are ginding.

    This can be good if you are low Spirit or a mana dependant class with all
    the pauses between mobs, but if you are a class like a hunter with very
    little downtime then skinning things will quickly become a drag.
Ask a new question

Read More

Warcraft Video Games