gerry

Hi. Last month I bought a new computer with Windows Media Center. It came
with a 250G HD. Two days ago, my old comuter gace up. I want to install it on
my new computer. It is a 80 G hd. It ran under my licenced Windows 2000, My
80G HD primary is NTFS and my other partitions are on Fat 32. (BTW, my new
computer is all NTFS)
Question: Can I install this second HD as a primary? If not, must I only use
it as a slave. If so, will I be able to use the installed software that I
have on it?
My new computer is a HT 640HT 3.2G with 1,024G memory.

I know this is alot of questions but I hate to to set aside that HD because
I had some very good games on it. Any help on this subject would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S.: This is my first posting and I hope I will be able to track your
answers back.

Gerry.
--
Take care because I do!

In news:ACE0FE96-863F-45A9-986E-342C40ADE49A@microsoft.com,
Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi. Last month I bought a new computer with Windows Media
> Center. It
> came with a 250G HD. Two days ago, my old comuter gace up. I
> want to
> install it on my new computer.

If you want to install a single copy of Windows XP on two
computers, this is a clear violation of the license agreement.

There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> It is a 80 G hd. It ran under my
> licenced Windows 2000, My 80G HD primary is NTFS and my other
> partitions are on Fat 32. (BTW, my new computer is all NTFS)
> Question: Can I install this second HD as a primary? If not,
> must I
> only use it as a slave. If so, will I be able to use the
> installed
> software that I have on it?
> My new computer is a HT 640HT 3.2G with 1,024G memory.
>
> I know this is alot of questions but I hate to to set aside
> that HD
> because I had some very good games on it. Any help on this
> subject
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
> P.S.: This is my first posting and I hope I will be able to
> track your
> answers back.
>
> Gerry.

You can set the 80 gb drive as primary,you'd need to first format the drive,
after clone it from the 250gb,once its formated and set as slave to the 250
on the same IDE cable,go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D:being the
80 gb but if asigned diffrent letter then substitute is ok,also,agree to
all in the
DOS window.Otherwise you can set it as a slave drive but the software will
not be available.After XCOPY is thru,shutdown and set as master.

"Gerry" wrote:

> Hi. Last month I bought a new computer with Windows Media Center. It came
> with a 250G HD. Two days ago, my old comuter gace up. I want to install it on
> my new computer. It is a 80 G hd. It ran under my licenced Windows 2000, My
> 80G HD primary is NTFS and my other partitions are on Fat 32. (BTW, my new
> computer is all NTFS)
> Question: Can I install this second HD as a primary? If not, must I only use
> it as a slave. If so, will I be able to use the installed software that I
> have on it?
> My new computer is a HT 640HT 3.2G with 1,024G memory.
>
> I know this is alot of questions but I hate to to set aside that HD because
> I had some very good games on it. Any help on this subject would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks.
> P.S.: This is my first posting and I hope I will be able to track your
> answers back.
>
> Gerry.
> --
> Take care because I do!

gerry

I have a licence for my windows 2000. I guess you did not understand my
question or I was not clear. The question is: If I install my 80g HD on my
new computer, will my windows 2000 and my installed software work as an
independant Hd. Will windows xp let me do that. I thought that you could have
more than one operating system that could work under XP. There is no licence
violation here and I am a registered windows user with microsoft on both
software.

--
Take care because I do!

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:ACE0FE96-863F-45A9-986E-342C40ADE49A@microsoft.com,
> Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > Hi. Last month I bought a new computer with Windows Media
> > Center. It
> > came with a 250G HD. Two days ago, my old comuter gace up. I
> > want to
> > install it on my new computer.
>

> If you want to install a single copy of Windows XP on two
> computers, this is a clear violation of the license agreement.
>
> There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
> been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
> 3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
> enforcement mechanism.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > It is a 80 G hd. It ran under my
> > licenced Windows 2000, My 80G HD primary is NTFS and my other
> > partitions are on Fat 32. (BTW, my new computer is all NTFS)
> > Question: Can I install this second HD as a primary? If not,
> > must I
> > only use it as a slave. If so, will I be able to use the
> > installed
> > software that I have on it?
> > My new computer is a HT 640HT 3.2G with 1,024G memory.
> >
> > I know this is alot of questions but I hate to to set aside
> > that HD
> > because I had some very good games on it. Any help on this
> > subject
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks.
> > P.S.: This is my first posting and I hope I will be able to
> > track your
> > answers back.
> >
> > Gerry.

gerry

Thanks for your reply Andrew. Sounds complicated! I don't think I could
venture into that. Would there be a software that I could by that would copy
my 80G HD to my 250G HD and then I would not loose all my software on my 80G
HD. I thought that windows XP could handle more than one operating system.
G.
--
Take care because I do!

In news:26D1A535-DBC8-4954-9EED-7A42ED21523A@microsoft.com,
Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a licence for my windows 2000. I guess you did not
> understand
> my question or I was not clear.

OK. You didn't mention Windows 2000 in your original question

> The question is: If I install my 80g
> HD on my new computer, will my windows 2000 and my installed
> software
> work as an independant Hd.

Is it your old computer that has Windows 2000 and you want to
move its hard drive to your new Windows XP computer? If so, see
below.

> Will windows xp let me do that. I thought
> that you could have more than one operating system that could
> work
> under XP.

Not exactly. Windows 2000 can't work *under" Windows XP, but you
can dual-boot two operating systems on one computer. If you did
that you would get a menu each time you booted asking you to
choose which operating system you want to run.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to do that, but would just
reinstall my applications under Windows XP, and use your old 80GB
drive as extra storage space, but it's certainly a choice if
that's what you want to do.

> There is no licence violation here and I am a registered
> windows user with microsoft on both software.

OK, not a problem. As I said, you didn't mention Windows 2000,
and I misunderstood you before.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:ACE0FE96-863F-45A9-986E-342C40ADE49A@microsoft.com,
>> Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Hi. Last month I bought a new computer with Windows Media
>>> Center. It
>>> came with a 250G HD. Two days ago, my old comuter gace up. I
>>> want to
>>> install it on my new computer.
>>

>> If you want to install a single copy of Windows XP on two
>> computers, this is a clear violation of the license agreement.
>>
>> There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
>> been in effect on every version of Windows starting with
>> Windows
>> 3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
>> enforcement mechanism.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> It is a 80 G hd. It ran under my
>>> licenced Windows 2000, My 80G HD primary is NTFS and my other
>>> partitions are on Fat 32. (BTW, my new computer is all NTFS)
>>> Question: Can I install this second HD as a primary? If not,
>>> must I
>>> only use it as a slave. If so, will I be able to use the
>>> installed
>>> software that I have on it?
>>> My new computer is a HT 640HT 3.2G with 1,024G memory.
>>>
>>> I know this is alot of questions but I hate to to set aside
>>> that HD
>>> because I had some very good games on it. Any help on this
>>> subject
>>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Thanks.
>>> P.S.: This is my first posting and I hope I will be able to
>>> track your
>>> answers back.
>>>
>>> Gerry.

gerry

"Ken Blake" wrote:

(Some sniped)

> Not exactly. Windows 2000 can't work *under" Windows XP, but you
> can dual-boot two operating systems on one computer. If you did
> that you would get a menu each time you booted asking you to
> choose which operating system you want to run.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't choose to do that, but would just
> reinstall my applications under Windows XP, and use your old 80GB
> drive as extra storage space, but it's certainly a choice if
> that's what you want to do.

The reason why I still want to use the 80g HD and not re-installed all the
prgrams under XP is simply because I have software installed like: i.e.
Quicktax: even though I have the bought cd version every year, in order to
re-install the software , I will have to call Intuit and request new keys for
each one of them. This is a practice or security by them to avoid piracy. It
goes with other software that I bought and downloaded from other companies.
It would be much simplier to keep and run every thing on the same Hard drive
OR if there was a software available on the market that would let me (I would
pay for) copy my old HD drive and re-install it on my new 250G HD. This way,
it would be much faster and lessen the chances of loosing valuable software
that I paid for. Also avoid the time consuming of contacting companies
software for new registration. There must be something on the market that has
thought of this kind of problem.

Thanks for your replies Ken and if you have any other suggestions, by all
means do not hesitate to reply.

best regards,
Gerry

In news:FF2A53C6-0A29-4884-AEC3-E45908AECFDD@microsoft.com,
Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
> (Some sniped)
>

>> Not exactly. Windows 2000 can't work *under" Windows XP, but
>> you
>> can dual-boot two operating systems on one computer. If you
>> did
>> that you would get a menu each time you booted asking you to
>> choose which operating system you want to run.
>>
>> Personally, I wouldn't choose to do that, but would just
>> reinstall my applications under Windows XP, and use your old
>> 80GB
>> drive as extra storage space, but it's certainly a choice if
>> that's what you want to do.
>
> The reason why I still want to use the 80g HD and not
> re-installed
> all the prgrams under XP is simply because I have software
> installed
> like: i.e. Quicktax: even though I have the bought cd version
> every
> year, in order to re-install the software , I will have to call
> Intuit and request new keys for each one of them. This is a
> practice
> or security by them to avoid piracy. It goes with other
> software that
> I bought and downloaded from other companies. It would be much
> simplier to keep and run every thing on the same Hard drive

If it were me, I'd call and request new keys. I think changing
back and forth between operating systems is a nuisance, and I'd
do it only if there were no alternative.

But your choice, of course.

Please reply to the newsgroup

gerry

Thanks Ken. Apreciated the your help in this matter.
G.
--
Take care because I do!

In news:B7CEB827-6D30-4E6D-ACD5-81EDA1237C11@microsoft.com,
Gerry <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks Ken. Apreciated the your help in this matter.

You're welcome, Gerry. Glad to help.