PSU might have blown up

shmallow

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,
I would like to know if anyone could help provide insight to what just happened to my computer.

Basically what happened was while I was using my computer, out of nowhere I saw a flash and heard a bang. My computer shut off in an instant. It was as if a firecracker went off, and even smelled like it too. I made sure to unplug it to make sure whatever happened it would no longer have any power.

I opened it up, and I can't tell what just happened. I think it's the PSU, but I'm not sure.

A check I tried was that I plugged it back in, and the light on my motherboard wasn't lighting back up. It was a Xion PSU, if matters.

Thanks for any input!

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Remove the mobo from your case and inspect it closely for evidence of a short (burn marks on capacitors, etc). If there is no visible damage, get a known good PSU and try to power on just the mobo with CPU/RAM and see if you can boot to BIOS. If so, old PSU is shot. If not, PSU may have taken the mobo out with it.

How long have you had this computer? Did you build it or is it a prebuilt system?
What were you doing when it happened (gaming, etc.)?