Sign in with
Your question

Cant get my gtx 260 to work need some help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2012 3:28:33 PM

hi, just purchased the geforce gtx 260 and im having problems. i have plugged the card into the pci-e 2.0 slot of my motherboard and connected 2 6 pin power slots ( one of the 6 pins is an adapter) and well my graphics card isnt working its like its completly dead. the fans arnt spinning and no sound is beeing sent out either, there is no signial on tv and i just cant figure out what is wrong. i dont know if its my motherboard, the 6 pin adapter or the actual graphics card. but i dont think it is the graphics card beacuse when i moved it slightly the fans started spinning like it was complely working although i cant get it to go again.

any ideas what i can do here?

Mobo: ASROCK M3N78D

Gcard: nvidia geforce gtx 260

More about : gtx 260 work

July 11, 2012 3:52:01 PM

Psu?
Related resources
July 11, 2012 8:00:49 PM

Hi, I have the same card but have never experienced this problem, I assume that the power supply may be to blame. I had a cheap power supply and it caused nothing but problems until i got a higher quality 650w corsair one. I would check the quality of your PSU and adapter other than that I have no idea what could be wrong.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 8:12:31 PM

If the fans are not spinning at all, I would suspect maybe a bad card. Can you try it in another system? Have you made the new card the primary video card in bios?
July 11, 2012 8:18:08 PM

make sure the 12V rails on that PSU are providing enough amps to the video card. If not, it isn't going to work. That video card requires a total of 210 watts from what I recall.
July 12, 2012 11:14:36 AM

"If the fans are not spinning at all, I would suspect maybe a bad card. Can you try it in another system? Have you made the new card the primary video card in bios?"

cant get acsess into the bios as my motherboard has no built in graphics, also my mate has taken the card to try in his system hopefully that will shed some light on it.

"make sure the 12V rails on that PSU are providing enough amps to the video card. If not, it isn't going to work. That video card requires a total of 210 watts from what I recall."

that may be the problem beacuse both 6 pins are just from adapters which are coming from the molex's. think im going to buy a new psu, is there any you could recommend? budget is around £50
!