January 13, 2013 7:07:12 AM

My system specs are:
CPU-Amd FX-6300
RAM-Gskill-8gb 1600mhz
GPU-gtx 660 non ti
Motherboard-M5A78L
Storage: 2x 7200rpm hdd 1x 60gb ssd
Psu: XFX 550w core edition

Will my psu give enought juice for the system i wish i didnt needed to use any money on my pc for awhile now so last thing i want to do is buy a new psu. All the psu calcs shows about 400-450w requiment but can i trust that? And what happends if my PSU is to low wattage?

More about : psu enought run system

January 13, 2013 8:41:52 AM

Your XFX 550w should be able to power all that with ease.

GTX-660's TDP = 140w
FX-6300's TDP = 95w
Everything else's total TDP: well under 100w

NVIDIA's system specs for the GTX 660 call for a "minimum" of 450w, and that's taking into account that they're always conservative (i.e. giving a higher-than-necessary wattage requirement) due to the fact that there's a lot of low-quality PSUs out there that can't actually deliver their claimed output wattage. That certainly won't be a problem with your XFX 550w Core Edition.
January 13, 2013 8:46:33 AM

svengeguttensen said:
Your XFX 550w should be able to power all that with ease.

GTX-660 TDP = 140w
FX-6300 TDP = 95w
Everything else: well under 100w

NVIDIA's specs for the GTX 660 call for a "minimum" of 450w, and they're always conservative due to the fact that there's a lot of low-quality PSUs out there that can't deliver their claimed output. That certainly won't be a problem with your XFX 550w Core Edition.

Well i tought, but how about the psu:s efficiency 550w would feed you 440w if 80% right? but does the calc include that fact. And would i be able to overclock my gtx 660, i read that 660 is voltlocked and can be pushed far without changing the volts so it shouldent take much more power..?
January 13, 2013 8:54:00 AM

challedude said:
Well i tought, but how about the psu:s efficiency 550w would feed you 440w if 80% right? but does the calc include that fact. And would i be able to overclock my gtx 660, i read that 660 is voltlocked and can be pushed far without changing the volts so it shouldent take much more power..?

It doesn't work like that, 80% efficiency means that if your PSU is delivering 80W to your system, it is pulling 100W from the wall. The 550w Core edition is an excellent PSU. I have bought one for my GF. It has more than 500W on the 12V rail and it is perfectly capable of powering the system you mention.
January 13, 2013 9:35:17 AM

viktorbkk said:
It doesn't work like that, 80% efficiency means that if your PSU is delivering 80W to your system, it is pulling 100W from the wall. The 550w Core edition is an excellent PSU. I have bought one for my GF. It has more than 500W on the 12V rail and it is perfectly capable of powering the system you mention.

Oh i see well thats a relief :)  but how about the overclocking the gtx 660?
January 13, 2013 9:39:57 AM

challedude said:
Oh i see well thats a relief :)  but how about the overclocking the gtx 660?

If you want more performance, spend more $ on your GPU. You could go for 660 Ti. With that said, you don't buy a 550W PSU to use on an overclocked system. Stick with stock.
January 13, 2013 10:07:27 AM

viktorbkk said:
If you want more performance, spend more $ on your GPU. You could go for 660 Ti. With that said, you don't buy a 550W PSU to use on an overclocked system. Stick with stock.

well i alredy have this system just upgraded my gtx 550 ti to gtx 660 witch i dont have yet but u mean i shouldent oc my 660 :o ?
January 13, 2013 3:02:04 PM

challedude said:
well i alredy have this system just upgraded my gtx 550 ti to gtx 660 witch i dont have yet but u mean i shouldent oc my 660 :o ?

No you shouldn't. The gains will be minimal, and I am not convinced you are familiar with overclocking. Just enjoy your system the way it is.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 3:15:36 PM

challedude said:

More than enough power for you to overclock your gpu, and your cpu if you want
January 13, 2013 3:19:27 PM

delluser1 said:
More than enough power for you to overclock your gpu, and your cpu if you want

Have you seen the power draw of those Piledriver cores when overclocked?

That PSU has enough power to overclock either the cpu or the gpu but overclocking both is a stretch. Besides, we don't even know the cooling capabilities of the OP's system.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 3:34:59 PM

viktorbkk said:
Have you seen the power draw of those Piledriver cores when overclocked?.

Yep

"When overclocked these chips again show a pretty significant jump in power consumption. When I hit 4.6 with the FX-6300, it jumped around 60 watts at the wall"
.[/quotemsg]
viktorbkk said:

That PSU has enough power to overclock either the cpu or the gpu but overclocking both is a stretch. Besides, we don't even know the cooling capabilities of the OP's system.

PSU has enough power to overclock both
Not concerned by OP's cooling capabilities, not telling him to overclock, telling him that his psu can do what you think it can't

Don't know how I managed to mess that up, here's the link that the quote came from
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-FX-8350-and...
January 13, 2013 5:44:53 PM

delluser1 said:
Yep

"When overclocked these chips again show a pretty significant jump in power consumption. When I hit 4.6 with the FX-6300, it jumped around 60 watts at the wall"

PSU has enough power to overclock both
Not concerned by OP's cooling capabilities, not telling him to overclock, telling him that his psu can do what you think it can't

Don't know how I managed to mess that up, here's the link that the quote came from
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-FX-8350-and...

If you think its fine to simultaneously overclock a power hungry CPU and a mid range GPU on a budget(yet decent) 550W PSU, then all I can say is that you are entitled to your opinion.

Will it work? Yes, probably. But just because it would work, doesn't make it a good choice for someone who wants to run a system for years.

Would anyone recommend it? Only someone who is ignorant.

To the OP:

If you really want to overclock your system(which isn't necessary), then get a PSU with 50 Amps on the 12V rail, and make sure you have good cooling for your case and CPU.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 5:51:23 PM

viktorbkk said:
If you think its fine to simultaneously overclock a power hungry CPU and a mid range GPU on a budget(yet decent) 550W PSU, then all I can say is that you are entitled to your opinion.

Will it work? Yes, probably. But just because it would work, doesn't make it a good choice for someone who wants to run a system for years.

Would anyone recommend it? Only someone who is ignorant.

To the OP:

If you really want to overclock your system(which isn't necessary), then get a PSU with 50 Amps on the 12V rail, and make sure you have good cooling for your case and CPU.

Ignorance comes from not having a clue, should come back when you get one
January 13, 2013 6:04:14 PM

delluser1 said:
Ignorance comes from not having a clue, should come back when you get one

What? Did I hurt your feelings? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 6:12:22 PM

viktorbkk said:
What? Did I hurt your feelings? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Why would your ignorance hurt my feelings ?
January 13, 2013 6:17:29 PM

delluser1 said:
Why would your ignorance hurt my feelings ?

I truly sympathize with your desperate need to win an argument on the internet.
January 13, 2013 6:21:09 PM

I dont need to OC anything unless fx-6300 bottlenecks 660 witch it shouldent do. But im curious if i could OC whit this psu in the future without spending 80-100€ on a 650-750w psu. Some benchmarks shows that gtx 660 non ti overclocked could almost reach gtx 660 ti power so that wouldent be to bad.
January 13, 2013 6:23:13 PM

And my cpu cooler is a zalman CNPS7X and my case airflow is perfect and the gtx 660 twin frozer III should do the job
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 6:38:58 PM

viktorbkk said:
I truly sympathize with your desperate need to win an argument on the internet.

Have no need to win and am not arguing
January 13, 2013 7:02:38 PM

aladin matafakaa
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 7:18:38 PM

challedude said:
My system specs are:
CPU-Amd FX-6300
RAM-Gskill-8gb 1600mhz
GPU-gtx 660 non ti
Motherboard-M5A78L
Storage: 2x 7200rpm hdd 1x 60gb ssd
Psu: XFX 550w core edition

Will my psu give enought juice for the system i wish i didnt needed to use any money on my pc for awhile now so last thing i want to do is buy a new psu. All the psu calcs shows about 400-450w requiment but can i trust that? And what happends if my PSU is to low wattage?

online PSU calculators have a habit of slightly overestimating the PSU requirements. a XFX 550 core edition is sufficient to power any cpu/single GPU combination including overclocking (aside from a few 7970s).
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
you're fine.
January 13, 2013 7:27:55 PM

Anonymous said:
online PSU calculators have a habit of slightly overestimating the PSU requirements. a XFX 550 core edition is sufficient to power any cpu/single GPU combination including overclocking (aside from a few 7970s).
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
you're fine.

Seems like ill be fine thanks for reply !
!