rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I’m in the process of a new build and finally planning to get a new monitor. I’m currently using a Sony Trinitron from 1999 which has been great, but figure it’s time for me to upgrade to a flat panel. I eventually want to get 2 monitors but might just get 1 first to see if I need/want a second.

Now that I’m looking at monitors and graphics cards, the question of VGA/DVI/HDMI is coming up. I want to get a monitor that will also have HDMI/component hook-ups so I can have multiple inputs so I’m looking at both multi-input monitors and HDTVs. One thing I’m noticing is that most TVs don’t have DVI inputs and just have a PC (VGA) and HDMI inputs. I’ve never hooked up a computer using HDMI so wondering if this works well and if this is a suggested approach versus finding a monitor/HDTV with a DVI input. What about just using the PC (VGA) input on an HDTV?

I'm leaning more toward getting a small HDTV instead of a monitor since it seems like a lot of people are moving in that direction. Appreciate the feedback on the differences between these 3 types of input. Depending on what's the best approach, I'll need to find a graphics card with the correct output.

drums101

Distinguished
hooking a pc up via hdmi is definitely the way to go over vga....better image quality...most graphics cards these days have either an hdmi port or mini hdmi port built in so its fairly simple to hook up...also with hdmi you can transport audio so you could run the audio directly to the tv without another cable (if you run that route)....if I were you I would get a monitor instead of a small hdtv unless you plan on using it as a tv too....the reason for this is the monitors typically have higher resolution for the size and it will be a much better image...basically vga is out of date not really needed any more hdmi is great for tv's bc you can transmit audio through the one cable and dvi is just a great standard for monitors

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Only get a small HDTV if you are going to use it as a TV as well. Otherwise you are paying for speakers and a TV tuner that you will not use.

Monitors offer better response times and color reproduction then most TVs at much lower prices.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I agree that VGA is the old tech which I find funny because most HDTVs come with a VGA port instead of a DVI port. Someone should send TV manufactures a memo ;)

As far as usage, I do plan on using it also for TV as well as gaming. My overall plan was to hook up cable as well as a gaming system and be able to go back and forth between them. Maybe what I'll do is get a HDTV for 1 monitor that will have the cable and gaming and then a dedicated LCD Monitor for the other one which will be for the PC full time.

In your opinion, would it be strange working on a 2 monitor set-up if 1 is a HDTV and the other is a monitor?

Another thought, most graphics cards I see have 2 DVI outputs and 1 HDMI output. If I'm doing dual monitors, how would I do the HDMI output? Are there some graphics cards that have 2 HDMI outputs that I just haven't seen?

panwala95

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
no you can get a dvi to hdmi adapter to use two hdmi at one time
you should be fine runnng atv and monitor on your gfx card as long as you have adequate memory- 1gb and above

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Ah yes, the adapter. PC owners best friends. That's good that there's a way to go that direction. I'll have to start looking around now to find a good monitor/HDTV for my PC.

What are some specs on a monitor that are good to have? I know refresh rate and contrast ratio are specs that vary, but like a lot of things, there's a limit that once it goes over, it doesn't make as big of an impact. Any thoughts?

drums101

Distinguished
I am gonna throw my two cents in here....if I were you I would not go the small HDTV and monitor route...I would instead go with a bigger HDTV....if your budget allows I would get a bigger nicer HDTV that supports 1080p....it would be a much nicer setup in my opinion than a small tv and a monitor....all you have to do to go from tv to pc is switch the inputs on the tv via the remote.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/153/ad9df0bd75d34873b931fbfd0d3cfa14/l.jpg
82" Mits

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

I'm not going to go cheap on a HDTV, I definitely want to get something that is 1080p around 20". I just want to have 2 HDTV/monitors instead of 1 so I can have 2 screens available because I plan on doing web development, programming and video editing. In addition, I'd like to be able to switch 1 to TV and be able to work on the computer on the other monitor. With 1 large HDTV/monitor you can't have both going at the same time.

drums101

Distinguished
thats the problem though I dont think there are many hdtvs out there that are 20inches and support 1080p...if any at all...if someone can prove me wrong that would be great....usually you have to get above 32inches for a tv to have 1080p resolution. I understand your want to have the tv watching tv while you are on your pc on another monitor but to do that you are gonna have to put up a decent amount of cash.

drums101

Distinguished
cool thats not bad if you are looking to go that route there is one of your options right there.....samsung typically has smaller tvs at a higher res then other brands....most brands are 720p at 32inches but you can find a 32 sammy in 1080p very easily

TRENDING THREADS