  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 4:08:52 AM

Hi all

Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
doen't have a montly fee to play online.

Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?

Greetings, Thomas

More about : guildwars

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 4:08:53 AM

"Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> schreef in bericht
> Hi all
>
> Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
> doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
> Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
> Greetings, Thomas

I got guildwars lieing around here somewhere, Don't want to touch it again.
WoW is sooooooo much better.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 4:08:53 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
<tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
>Greetings, Thomas

Guild Wars is nice but i think WoW is still superior in overall game
quality. GW is really Nox Online if you remember that game.
Related resources
August 24, 2005 4:08:53 AM

Different sub-genres of RPG. Guild Wars isn't an MMO, so obviously doesn't
need monthly fee (doesn't need the infratstructure, doesn't have large
persistent worlds)

Do you want a good online multiplayer action/RPG?
or
Do you want a good action/RPG in a massively multiplayer environment (and
the unique gameplay possibilites only possible in an MMO environment)?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 6:29:03 AM

"Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
> doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
> Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
> Greetings, Thomas

Guild Wars is WoW with a lot of the rough edges left on. It's fine if you're
on a tight budget but the 'lone wanderings' outside the towns and cities
take some getting used to.

Graphics are superb, BTW.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 7:58:24 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
<tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
>Greetings, Thomas

It makes me want to fall asleep.

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"

"Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
> doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
> Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
> Greetings, Thomas

I have some old D2 friends playing GuildWars and enjoying it, so I went out
and bought the game, installed and played a few toons up a couple of
levels... then I went back to WoW.
It's pretty and I can't put my finger on what it lacks but in the "tiny"
exposure I had to it I found WoW more enjoyable. GW only gets fired up when
WoW is down for weekly maintenance now.
August 24, 2005 6:15:02 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
<tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
>Greetings, Thomas

I don't play it anymore. Felt more like multi-player Diablo and less
like WoW. You just have to decide what your play style is so it might
require you to try it and decide for yourself or go to the guildWars
message board and ask ex-WoW players what about GW made them leave
WoW.
August 24, 2005 7:43:51 PM

Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
> <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
>>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>>
>>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>>
>>Greetings, Thomas
>>

> I don't play it anymore. Felt more like multi-player Diablo and less
> like WoW. You just have to decide what your play style is so it might
> require you to try it and decide for yourself or go to the guildWars
> message board and ask ex-WoW players what about GW made them leave
> WoW.

I felt the same,

It's more like some sort of Diablo with a bit of customization,

cept no matter how you make the character it'll still look like everyone
else

and there are about 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 kinds of weapons, wand, staff, 1h
sword, 1h axe, and 2h hammer,
No variety to me I see
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 4:57:44 AM

"Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
> doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>
> Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
>
> Greetings, Thomas

Guild wars is great if you like dying dozens of times to the same group of
mobs to slowly whitle them away.
Graphics and sound sare great tho.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 10:35:20 PM

>>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
>>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
>>
>>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?

Guild Wars isn't quite as exciting as WoW, but it's a great "palate
cleanser" in that most of the annoying stuff about WoW isn't involved in GW.

Graphics are beautiful. You can only play humans. You can also start
immediately with a high-level character although you won't have access to
the customization offered during level-up. You pick a class and can almost
immediately dual-class. Anyone can use any weapon, although the correct
class will use it better. There are no "shards"...anyone in the game can
meet up with anyone else, although you will have to possibly change
instances of the neighborhood. The neighborhoods are where you find
companions to take into the "world" which is only available to you and the
people you group with, or henchman you can hire if you're not feeling
particularly social, or if you have a couple of people and want extra
healing.

The game breaks you in nicely, a lot of the same elements of wow and
probably every other mmorpg exist. You have armor slots and each piece
initially goes through a color progression as you level up. There are
collectors who offer a menu of things you can get just by repeatedly
bringing him 6 of some trash drop you'll have to fight for. The challenge
is finding who gives the next level of the leggings you want.

You get 8 talent slots and you will aquire more talents than that, so the
game is about which combinations you will take into a situation to aid
yourself and the people you group with. Since the play world is the
instance, there are actually permanent things that can happen. You can take
a character to a new area where you won't be able to get back to the
original one or speak with companions who haven't crossed into it. The
NPC's actually participate in some of their quests. A ravishing city
protector will ask you to help her clear a bridge of creatures and then go
sprinting off to do it whether you follow her or not. Allegedly NPC's can
die in your particular instance of the world, and I believe the group
leader's instance is the one your entire group goes to.

The graphics are pretty stunning; there are some dazzling lighting effects.
Unfortunately the terrain looks expansive, but you can't tumble down a hill
or fall to your death -- or take a shorcut from a meadow to a field if
there's a dropoff and invisible barrier between you and your destination.
My one gripe is there were times I could clearly see where I needed to go
for a particular quest, but I couldn't logistically find the correct
maze-path to it.

Nearly everything in your inventory can be broken down into crafting
materials, I found it bewildering but not necessary to identify everything
that has a bonus to it.

The minimap turns also, which can be a little confusing to WoW players.

I played an elementalist, then dual classed as a necromancer. The
elementalist abilities let me rain fire down in a wonderful AOE, and the
necromancer skills let me weaken mobs and renew my energy by draining
theirs, then running up to a mob to hit with a massive "bite" that was
almost a touch-nuke transfering the last of their life to me.

Allegedly there is an endgame - reason to build this character, but I'm
having so much fun experiencing the world in small doses that I haven't
gotten there yet. I joined a guild and got a cape instead of a tabard.
I've heard rumors of guild houses. You can log off anywhere and you'll
restart in the nearest town. It's a very *convienient* game in that it
starts up instantaneously and there's not a whole lot of fudging to find
someone to play with. You can make four different characters, I'm pretty
sure you can delete them and start over if you want.
!