GuildWars

Hi all

Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
doen't have a montly fee to play online.

Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?

Greetings, Thomas
10 answers Last reply
More about guildwars

    "Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all
    >
    > Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    > doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    > Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    > Greetings, Thomas

    I got guildwars lieing around here somewhere, Don't want to touch it again.
    WoW is sooooooo much better.

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
    <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    >doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    >Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    >Greetings, Thomas

    Guild Wars is nice but i think WoW is still superior in overall game
    quality. GW is really Nox Online if you remember that game.

    Different sub-genres of RPG. Guild Wars isn't an MMO, so obviously doesn't
    need monthly fee (doesn't need the infratstructure, doesn't have large
    persistent worlds)

    Do you want a good online multiplayer action/RPG?
    or
    Do you want a good action/RPG in a massively multiplayer environment (and
    the unique gameplay possibilites only possible in an MMO environment)?

    "Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    > doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    > Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    > Greetings, Thomas

    Guild Wars is WoW with a lot of the rough edges left on. It's fine if you're
    on a tight budget but the 'lone wanderings' outside the towns and cities
    take some getting used to.

    Graphics are superb, BTW.

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
    <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    >doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    >Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    >Greetings, Thomas

    It makes me want to fall asleep.

    --
    "Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
    But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"

    "Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    > doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    > Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    > Greetings, Thomas

    I have some old D2 friends playing GuildWars and enjoying it, so I went out
    and bought the game, installed and played a few toons up a couple of
    levels... then I went back to WoW.
    It's pretty and I can't put my finger on what it lacks but in the "tiny"
    exposure I had to it I found WoW more enjoyable. GW only gets fired up when
    WoW is down for weekly maintenance now.

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
    <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    >doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    >Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    >Greetings, Thomas

    I don't play it anymore. Felt more like multi-player Diablo and less
    like WoW. You just have to decide what your play style is so it might
    require you to try it and decide for yourself or go to the guildWars
    message board and ask ex-WoW players what about GW made them leave
    WoW.

    Shane wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:08:52 +0200, "Thomas Ellegaard"
    > <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    >>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >>
    >>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >>
    >>Greetings, Thomas
    >>

    > I don't play it anymore. Felt more like multi-player Diablo and less
    > like WoW. You just have to decide what your play style is so it might
    > require you to try it and decide for yourself or go to the guildWars
    > message board and ask ex-WoW players what about GW made them leave
    > WoW.

    I felt the same,

    It's more like some sort of Diablo with a bit of customization,

    cept no matter how you make the character it'll still look like everyone
    else

    and there are about 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 kinds of weapons, wand, staff, 1h
    sword, 1h axe, and 2h hammer,
    No variety to me I see

    "Thomas Ellegaard" <tho.ell@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    > doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >
    > Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?
    >
    > Greetings, Thomas

    Guild wars is great if you like dying dozens of times to the same group of
    mobs to slowly whitle them away.
    Graphics and sound sare great tho.

    >>Some have told me, that GuildWars is about as exciting as wow, and that it
    >>doen't have a montly fee to play online.
    >>
    >>Does anybody have some experience about GuildWars compared to wow?

    Guild Wars isn't quite as exciting as WoW, but it's a great "palate
    cleanser" in that most of the annoying stuff about WoW isn't involved in GW.

    Graphics are beautiful. You can only play humans. You can also start
    immediately with a high-level character although you won't have access to
    the customization offered during level-up. You pick a class and can almost
    immediately dual-class. Anyone can use any weapon, although the correct
    class will use it better. There are no "shards"...anyone in the game can
    meet up with anyone else, although you will have to possibly change
    instances of the neighborhood. The neighborhoods are where you find
    companions to take into the "world" which is only available to you and the
    people you group with, or henchman you can hire if you're not feeling
    particularly social, or if you have a couple of people and want extra
    healing.

    The game breaks you in nicely, a lot of the same elements of wow and
    probably every other mmorpg exist. You have armor slots and each piece
    initially goes through a color progression as you level up. There are
    collectors who offer a menu of things you can get just by repeatedly
    bringing him 6 of some trash drop you'll have to fight for. The challenge
    is finding who gives the next level of the leggings you want.

    You get 8 talent slots and you will aquire more talents than that, so the
    game is about which combinations you will take into a situation to aid
    yourself and the people you group with. Since the play world is the
    instance, there are actually permanent things that can happen. You can take
    a character to a new area where you won't be able to get back to the
    original one or speak with companions who haven't crossed into it. The
    NPC's actually participate in some of their quests. A ravishing city
    protector will ask you to help her clear a bridge of creatures and then go
    sprinting off to do it whether you follow her or not. Allegedly NPC's can
    die in your particular instance of the world, and I believe the group
    leader's instance is the one your entire group goes to.

    The graphics are pretty stunning; there are some dazzling lighting effects.
    Unfortunately the terrain looks expansive, but you can't tumble down a hill
    or fall to your death -- or take a shorcut from a meadow to a field if
    there's a dropoff and invisible barrier between you and your destination.
    My one gripe is there were times I could clearly see where I needed to go
    for a particular quest, but I couldn't logistically find the correct
    maze-path to it.

    Nearly everything in your inventory can be broken down into crafting
    materials, I found it bewildering but not necessary to identify everything
    that has a bonus to it.

    The minimap turns also, which can be a little confusing to WoW players.

    I played an elementalist, then dual classed as a necromancer. The
    elementalist abilities let me rain fire down in a wonderful AOE, and the
    necromancer skills let me weaken mobs and renew my energy by draining
    theirs, then running up to a mob to hit with a massive "bite" that was
    almost a touch-nuke transfering the last of their life to me.

    Allegedly there is an endgame - reason to build this character, but I'm
    having so much fun experiencing the world in small doses that I haven't
    gotten there yet. I joined a guild and got a cape instead of a tabard.
    I've heard rumors of guild houses. You can log off anywhere and you'll
    restart in the nearest town. It's a very *convienient* game in that it
    starts up instantaneously and there's not a whole lot of fudging to find
    someone to play with. You can make four different characters, I'm pretty
    sure you can delete them and start over if you want.

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games