Got an old Antec 900 Black lying around somewhere... free fans ?

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I just ordered all of my parts for a new build, featuring the very roomy NZXT Phantom full tower. That said, I didn't purchase any additional fans and would really like to have a front intake. Now, my old Antec case still has all his 4 fans with blue LEDs and all.

I never EVER changed a fan on a PC so I know nothing about fan specs and restrictions, would my old fans fit on the Phantom ? I know they had a speed selector, would it interfere with the case's built-in fan controller ? I really hope this works, it would be kind of great to have the case fully loaded with fans.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
It would depend on the connections on your case,

There are diffrent areas you can apply fans, of diffrent sizes.

I'm guessing the NZXT has a 120mm or 140mm fan intake, so you would have to transfer a 120mm or 140mm fan to the front.

This being for all other fan areas.

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
First, how big is the front slot, and how big are the fans from the Antec? If they fit, continue on.

Look for the fan controller connectors. are they compatible with the LCD and fan power connector for the fan? If so, continue on.

Find how it clips in/screws in, and attach the fan to the new case. Plug it in and test it.

If the connectors aren't the same, see if you can find adapters on newegg or amazon. If not, sorry, you're out of luck.

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I just checked, they're 120mm fans which are screwed in there. It seems to me that this is going to work so I won't be ordering additional fans right, I'll just wait and hope they really do fit.

Even then, in the unlikely event that they do not fit I'm wondering if I'm really gonna need 3 intakes. Maybe I'm just going overkill with this being my first full tower case and all. The case already comes with 2 side intakes, 1 top and 1 rear out. Do you guys think it's gonna be sufficient to cool an Core i5 3570k and a GTX 670 ?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

If you overclock the i5,

2 (Maybe 3) intake's, make sure one of them is the front! :D

3 Out takes, one (or two) top, one rear, One bottom

Your GPU and CPU Heatsinks dont count, but do most of the cooling work!