New HTPC, $1000 build

Hello all! I've been working with computers for years and have built a few, but recently I decided to take on a new challenge and build a new HTPC. My old one is a wimpy Acer AspireRevo 1600 and is setup to stream XBMC to any device on my network. It works, but is very dated and slow. I originally checked out google for a decent parts list for a new HTPC but every single one I found was dated to the point of having most parts no longer carried by online retailers. Obviously this is a problem :kaola:

While looking around I stumbled upon this site and was hoping for some much needed guidance in terms of the parts needed to build what I was looking for. I copied and pasted the following from the sticky and filled in the answers. If you have any questions at all, I'll answer ASAP!

Approximate Purchase Date: Two weeks from now (three at the very latest)

Budget Range: $1000 Before Rebates; After Shipping. I won't mind spending less, though! :na:

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, Gaming (it does need to be able to do both, without being too loud as it is a HTPC)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Remote, Keyboard, Mouse. Everything else will need to be new

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, but I don't object to using others. Would rather buy everything from the same place, though.

Parts Preferences: Would rather not go too generic, but I am open to most brands.

Overclocking: Maybe, probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not realistic for this built.

Your Monitor Resolution: HDMI output to TV

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. Will run Windows 7 and boot to XBMC. As stated earlier, needs to be able to run modern games with decent graphics, but remain silent. I don't want a jet engine in my living room :p Will be running 24/7. As few LED's as possible.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old HTPC works but is very slow and dated. Can't run much more than XBMC and lags doing even that with basic skins.

Again, please let me know if I left out any details or if you have any questions! Thanks all.
3 answers Last reply
More about htpc 1000 build
  1. Thanks for the quick answer. Mind if I ask why you picked those parts? They seem like good parts, but just curious!
  2. top end parts without overdoing it, ought to perform well for awhile, could probably max all current games at hdtv resolution, should be relativly cool and quiet/compact
    though I have seen better deals on these or similar components in these forums resecently, gpu is a great deal at that price, good (no money wasted) system, no good for oc'ing but u don't want hotter and louder on an htpc
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product