Sign in with
Your question

New HTPC, $1000 build

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2012 1:08:30 AM

Hello all! I've been working with computers for years and have built a few, but recently I decided to take on a new challenge and build a new HTPC. My old one is a wimpy Acer AspireRevo 1600 and is setup to stream XBMC to any device on my network. It works, but is very dated and slow. I originally checked out google for a decent parts list for a new HTPC but every single one I found was dated to the point of having most parts no longer carried by online retailers. Obviously this is a problem :kaola: 

While looking around I stumbled upon this site and was hoping for some much needed guidance in terms of the parts needed to build what I was looking for. I copied and pasted the following from the sticky and filled in the answers. If you have any questions at all, I'll answer ASAP!

Approximate Purchase Date: Two weeks from now (three at the very latest)

Budget Range: $1000 Before Rebates; After Shipping. I won't mind spending less, though! :na: 

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, Gaming (it does need to be able to do both, without being too loud as it is a HTPC)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Remote, Keyboard, Mouse. Everything else will need to be new

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, but I don't object to using others. Would rather buy everything from the same place, though.

Parts Preferences: Would rather not go too generic, but I am open to most brands.

Overclocking: Maybe, probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not realistic for this built.

Your Monitor Resolution: HDMI output to TV

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. Will run Windows 7 and boot to XBMC. As stated earlier, needs to be able to run modern games with decent graphics, but remain silent. I don't want a jet engine in my living room :p  Will be running 24/7. As few LED's as possible.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old HTPC works but is very slow and dated. Can't run much more than XBMC and lags doing even that with basic skins.

Again, please let me know if I left out any details or if you have any questions! Thanks all.

More about : htpc 1000 build

August 30, 2012 2:18:33 AM
August 30, 2012 2:27:00 AM

Thanks for the quick answer. Mind if I ask why you picked those parts? They seem like good parts, but just curious!
August 30, 2012 3:16:33 AM

top end parts without overdoing it, ought to perform well for awhile, could probably max all current games at hdtv resolution, should be relativly cool and quiet/compact
though I have seen better deals on these or similar components in these forums resecently, gpu is a great deal at that price, good (no money wasted) system, no good for oc'ing but u don't want hotter and louder on an htpc
!