Sign in with
Your question

Replacing GPU fan on HD 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2012 9:49:09 PM

Hello, everyone!
I need to replace my GPU fan on my Radeon HD 5870 made by HIS. It has iCoolerV on it. (idk if that information helps.) How do i go about replacing this fan? What kind of fan do i need? If anything additional may facilitate this process, please tell me!

More about : replacing gpu fan 5870

July 11, 2012 10:01:24 PM

Call HIS support, or if you still have any sort of warranty where you purchased it, go to them.

Otherwise you're going to need an aftermarket heat sink.
Related resources
July 12, 2012 1:18:30 AM

wolfram23 said:
Call HIS support, or if you still have any sort of warranty where you purchased it, go to them.

Otherwise you're going to need an aftermarket heat sink.

I can't get the proof of purchase for my card so I will be buying an aftermarket fan.
July 12, 2012 1:19:24 AM

slhpss said:
I used an accelero twin turbo on ym 4870 and it was so much better than the stock cooler... less than half the noise and cut my temps at full load by like 30º

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Xtreme-58...

3 fans... Seems a bit overpowered? Is it possible to turn off fans...?
July 12, 2012 1:22:08 AM

dugo88 said:
3 fans... Seems a bit overpowered? Is it possible to turn off fans...?

No, but they will stay quiet as long as the card is cool and only adjust to keep the temps down.

AC makes some GREAT coolers.

EDIT, also check to ensure your current board is a reference design. look at the back to ensure it is similar to this. You want everything to line up.

make sure the hold line up and all that good stuff.

http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/ref/hd5850-scan-back....
July 12, 2012 1:58:11 AM

nukemaster said:
No, but they will stay quiet as long as the card is cool and only adjust to keep the temps down.

AC makes some GREAT coolers.

EDIT, also check to ensure your current board is a reference design. look at the back to ensure it is similar to this. You want everything to line up.

make sure the hold line up and all that good stuff.

http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/ref/hd5850-scan-back....

Will the fan be able to fit on this? some of the holes are not lined up.
July 12, 2012 2:24:45 AM

my card says " HIS HD 5870 iCoolerV"
July 12, 2012 2:47:07 AM

HIS used a custom board for your card.

That it self is not a problem at all, just that AC makes a heatsink for the reference 5870 card. The other one listed works on many cards and should cover yours.
July 12, 2012 2:48:47 AM

So the one with the triple fan should work fine? Thanks very much!!!!
July 12, 2012 3:09:33 AM

As long as the video core is not to close to the rear ports then yes.

Looking at your image and the reference the gpu holes look right.

In is also important to use any heatsinks that come with the cooler for the power system and memory if needed too.
July 12, 2012 4:21:39 PM

get the accelero twinturbo II then it's universal and works great the fans are much much much more quiet than the factory fans so even having 2 or 3 is still more quiet than the original fans
July 12, 2012 6:06:46 PM

There's also the Zalman VF3000 and several others, but the Accelero is pretty well rated.

Keep in mind most of these coolers are double slots, meaning your card will now take up 3 PCIe slots.

The only two coolers that are single slot (to maintain the 2 PCIe slot size) are the Zalman VF1000 and the Scythe Setsugen. I'm using the Scythe ones on my 5850s and they are nice, very quiet.
!