Sign in with
Your question

Amd v 140 upgrade to DUAL CORE

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2013 3:16:14 PM

HELLO. I HAVE COMPAQ CQ56 DX115 WITH V140. I WANT TO NOW CAN I BUY DUAL CORE/QUAD ORE MOTHERBOARDFOR HIS COMPUTER? MY NAME IS GREGORY AND MY E-MAIL IS gchampion163@gail.com
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 3:46:33 PM

Hi :) 

Its a laptop...so no...

All the best Brett :) 
January 13, 2013 4:01:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Its a laptop...so no...

what is good upgrade for v140 to dual core?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 4:08:59 PM

tooclever74 said:
what is good upgrade for v140 to dual core?

You cannot, just buy a better laptop...

February 10, 2013 10:02:56 AM

Lies, you can upgrade the processor, i have the same laptop you are talking about. However, its very difficult to open and make sure you have some thermal paste. the best upgrade would be theAMD Turion II P520 Dual-Core. just expect a battery drain and temp rises.

first flip the laptop upside down on a table remove the battery. Now get a standard star screwdriver and begin to remove all the screws that you see on the bottom of the laptop. As you are taking them off remember where you took them off from. the ones with a little brown mark are bigger and thus correspond to the outer perimeter of the chassis. the little screws with blue are attached to the mother board and thus belong to inside. remove all screws even where the battery was before. Next open up and remove all screws of hard drive and remove hard drive itself. Next open up where the ram goes and remove the ram itself. remove the wireless card which has one little screw and is attached with two cables one grey an and one black or cable 1 and cable 2. double make sure you remove all screws, the hard drive, the ram, and wireless.

flip the laptop and open the display you will remove the key board. you will need a flat screwdriver if you look top left and right corners between the speaker panel and keyboard. place the flat all the way down and begin to lift the corner slowly then move the flat screwdriver to the other corner so that it becomes detached. Make sure you do not pull to hard on the keyboard as you lift tilt the keyboard and see the ribbon attached to the motherboard, finally carefully remove the ribbon and the keyboard (if you forgot to remove a screw you will have a hard time removing the keyboard and you might break it) . now remove the dvd drive just with your finger get hold of the dvd-drive and pull the dvd drive out, it should come out completely without any problems. next look where you just you took off the keyboard there are about three ribbons you need to disconnect (make sure you do it). after that with fingers of flat screwdriver began to detach the top part of the chassis off the bottom part thus exposing the motherboard (color blue). once you see the motherboard remove and attached cables to the motherboard about 4 or 5 cables remember where they go. DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREW OF THE DISPLAY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THEM. There are two physical screws on the motherboard take them off and lift carefully the motherboard. make sure to bring down the display because it flip on its own weight. So flip the motherboard on the back you will see the fan and the cpu. remove the cable of fan to motherboard. remove the screws of the fan. finally you will see the cpu with a flat screwdriver twist to let go of the cpu lift it up and carefully put the other back in. make sure you apply thermal paste (arctic silver only a little then with you finger spread it, it the cpu is a bit dirty clean ( clean the silver square)it with a little of alcohol and q-tip before placing it and putting thermal paste)and tight back the cpu with the flat screw driver. then began to put everythig back together. If you have open up computers before then this will be very easy.

10 mins to take everything off and another 10 mins to put everything back to together. if for some reason you do not place ribbons securely your computer wont boot and will just stay on the black screen with the fan running only and the caps lock key flashing light (happened to me. secure everything). so after you place everything together you should be able to boot into windows normally and start using the computer normally. you should have a better cq56-115dx.
!