Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ not cooling

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2013 3:25:54 PM

Hello, I just recently installed my new Hyper 212+ on my AMD Athlon ll x3 455, because I wanted to unlock my fourth core but my stock heatsink wasn't doing the job (idle at 48 degrees) and just playing a game like WoW took it up to 55 degrees. So I put on my cooler using the grain of rice method, and started up my computer to find that the temperatures had not budged. At first I thought it was a thermal paste issue, but there were no problems. I have no idea what the problem is I just want to know how to improve the performance of the cooler.
January 13, 2013 3:38:24 PM

Also, my BIOS said that that Cpu was running at 30 degrees. I am using Core Temp to find my temperatures
m
l
January 13, 2013 3:44:58 PM

Hi :) 

Trust your BIOS temps...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 3:49:41 PM

Slazlon said:
Hello, I just recently installed my new Hyper 212+ on my AMD Athlon ll x3 455, because I wanted to unlock my fourth core but my stock heatsink wasn't doing the job (idle at 48 degrees) and just playing a game like WoW took it up to 55 degrees. So I put on my cooler using the grain of rice method, and started up my computer to find that the temperatures had not budged. At first I thought it was a thermal paste issue, but there were no problems. I have no idea what the problem is I just want to know how to improve the performance of the cooler.

I have the Hyper 212 evo which is about the same as the plus. i got a difference of 30C when i installed it. I dont think 55C is very high. I get a max temp of 58C on my Intel 3770 under load when i run prime 95 for like 10mins.

You can try to re-apply your thermal paste. put the size of half a pea in the center of your CPU and then directly install the CPU cooler. the pressure of the cpu cooler will naturally spread the thermal paste on your CPU.
m
l
January 13, 2013 3:52:01 PM

Slazlon said:
Also, my BIOS said that that Cpu was running at 30 degrees. I am using Core Temp to find my temperatures

Use real temp to record your cpu temps.
m
l
January 13, 2013 3:53:49 PM

And also the temps on your bios will be at idle, not at load. When you play WoW your cpu will be under some load. hence higher temps
m
l
January 13, 2013 3:57:12 PM

Real temp measures information from all Intel Core based processors.
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:13:06 PM

timarp000 said:
I have the Hyper 212 evo which is about the same as the plus. i got a difference of 30C when i installed it. I dont think 55C is very high. I get a max temp of 58C on my Intel 3770 under load when i run prime 95 for like 10mins.

You can try to re-apply your thermal paste. put the size of half a pea in the center of your CPU and then directly install the CPU cooler. the pressure of the cpu cooler will naturally spread the thermal paste on your CPU.

When I try to run prime95 my temps shoot up past 60
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:22:48 PM

ok, the maximum operating temperature on your cpu is 75C so 60C is very close.

You can try to reinstall your CPU Cooler. using the half-a-pea method.
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:40:34 PM

While running prime95 right now my temperatures are at 64 degrees. I'm not sure what my limit needs to be.
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:49:44 PM

Slazlon said:
While running prime95 right now my temperatures are at 64 degrees. I'm not sure what my limit needs to be.

what rpm is your cpu fan running at?
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:55:01 PM

timarp000 said:
what rpm is your cpu fan running at?

It was running 850 in bios
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:34:15 PM

Slazlon said:
It was running 850 in bios

ok, increase the fan speeds to 1200rpm ( anything more will be tooo loud)
If temps still dont come down much (Dont expect this to happen) they i recommend you to reinstall the cooler using the half-a-pea method i told you earlier. also buy some higher quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 for $10.

Quote:
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:39:09 PM

timarp000 said:
ok, increase the fan speeds to 1200rpm ( anything more will be tooo loud)
If temps still dont come down much (Dont expect this to happen) they i recommend you to reinstall the cooler using the half-a-pea method i told you earlier. also buy some higher quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 for $10.

Quote:

Okay, thank you i will try this
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:44:21 PM

Slazlon said:

You can always add a push/pull fan config
make sure you plug the cpu fan connector into a 4 pin
not the 3 pin connector thats for system fan
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:46:10 PM

cmstormscouts said:
You can always add a push/pull fan config
make sure you plug the cpu fan connector into a 4 pin
not the 3 pin connector thats for system fan

Right now my cpu fan is pushing air to the back of my case where i have a fan back there
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:47:29 PM

I turned off smart fan control on my mobo and my temps are down to 41 degrees idle
m
l
January 13, 2013 9:37:27 PM

Slazlon said:
Right now my cpu fan is pushing air to the back of my case where i have a fan back there

Thats how you want it
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:54:27 AM

Slazlon said:
I turned off smart fan control on my mobo and my temps are down to 41 degrees idle

load temps are? and what case do your have? hows the case cooling?
m
l
!