Windows 7computer boots and then automatically restarts before windows

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Guys

I have just recently built a computer today using some old parts I had lying around, however I did not have a spare IDE DVD optical drive to put in this computer as I only have sata DVD drive which is in use in my other machine & the sata DVD Drive would not work as this motherboard is still IDE only motherboard,

Specs: Intel Pentium 4 Hyper-threading 2.60GHz CPU 478, 512MB RAM, Seagate 320GB IDE HDD, PSU: ColorsIT 400u (400W), Coolermaster CPU cooler, mobo: Intel D845EPI_D845GVSR

Because of this I connected the the IDE Hard drive into my main computers motherboard (as this still has only 1 IDE port), specs: intel Core 2 quad q8300, 4GB RAM, XFX 550w, SATA DVD Multi etc, I installed windows 7 via this machine & Windows 7 installed sucesfully & booted up fine, However now when I put the Hard drive back into the machine (pentium 4HT etc..) (machine using old parts) I go to boot up windows 7 in the computer & Windows 7 boots up and says starting windows and before the window logo comes up on the computer & before the animation can finish it just automatically reboots everytime (but windows 7 boots up fine when connected in my Main machine) ,

has this Happened because I installed Windows 7 via the newer machine I (q8300 etc..) & then put the HDD back into the older machine (P4 HT)?? Or would this be a BIOS related issue or would there a BIOS setting I need to enable/disbale??

Does anyone how to fix this or had this problem?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED (after 2 stressful days :p)

For anyone having this same issue with windows 7 starting up to Animation boot screen & then Automatically restarting because of a recent hardware change like mine (Transferring 320gb IDE Hard drive from P4 Hyper-Threading machine with No DVD Drive to A newer more recent system of mine with intel core 2 quad q8300 & installing windows 7) and then transferring Hard drive back to older P4 Hyper-Threading machine, P4 Hyper-Threading machine booted up to Windows 7 animation Boot screen & then Automatically Rebooted (everytime) so I tried to repair Windows 7 & also boot windows 7 Ultimate Via a USB Stick (as there was no DVD drive & also mobo was IDE only so IDE DVD does not work with windows 7 DVD, only SATA DVD drives for some strange reason) but both were unsuccessful, However after doing some research on this issue (Windows 7 starting up to Animation boot screen & then Automatically restarting) I came across this web page: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html#post1161038 (How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer), so I moved the IDE 320GB Hard drive back to the computer when it originally belonged (P4 Hyper-Threading machine), Enetred command prompt as an administrator & typed in the following command: %windir%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe and pressed enter, after that a dialog box opened and I selected System Cleanup Action as Enter System Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE), select Generalize, select Shutdown Options Shutdown. Click OK, However I ran into an issue which said error: a Fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine., I found a soloution on this web page which was to disable Windows Media player networking service, I disabled this by typing net stop WMPNetworkSvc into command prompt and pressing Enter, after this I retyped the following command into command prompt: %windir%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe and pressed enter, after that it again a opened a dialog box and I selected System Cleanup Action as Enter System Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE), select Generalize, select Shutdown Options Shutdown. Click OK, Sysprep Generalised my Windows 7 setup and shutdown the computer.

After putting the Hard drive back into the older P4 Hyper-Threading machine (which it originally belonged too), the Pc booted from The Sysprep Generalised Hard drive & windows 7 booted as if it was the first Boot after installation and said: Setup is installing devices, setup is updating Registry settings & setup will continue after restarting your computer & after this Windows Finally booted up & entered all the information as if it was a fresh install: typed in user name & when the login screen appeared two logins appeared (the original User name created originally and the newly created user name), I chose the old account to login and deleted the newly created account and this solved my problem (credit to sevenfourms): http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html#post1161038

Hope this Helps someonelse facing this same issue! :)