Fan always spinning at highest speed, noisily

Wentu

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I have a fan problem.
My PC is a HP Pavilion P6314it. I had a problem with the original mobo (SATA controller problems) and I had it replaced with a ASUS M5A78L-M LE.
Everything seems fine EXCEPT the CPU fan is always spinning at high rate, from the boot onward. PC Probe II says it's spinning at 4400-4500 rpm (chassis fan at 2600-2700 rpm) and it's unbearably noisy.
In the BIOS I had two controls enabled (Cool'n'quiet and ACPI 2.0 support).
In Windows7 I activated the power saving option (notice that the problem was present even before reinstalling Win7 and when using a USB key with Ubuntu 12.04).

What should I do to have the fan spin silently as before?

The fan brand is AVC.

Thankx

Wentu

wen check your cpu temps with hardware monitor. if the cpu fan was installed right on your cpu it should be sitting around 30-50c. depending on the chip and your house temp. if it running hotter then the heat sink not on right. if it is running ok temp wise check on the mb itself that you have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan header. some of the headers may not do temp/speed control. the last is most newer fans that slow down use 4 wires. if your fan has three wires you may want to change it out to a 4 wire fan system.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
There should be an option in the bios called smart fan, turn it on.

Go into the bios, Go to the Power tab, then go to Hardware Monitor Configuration

Look for CPU Q-fan The settings and description of the settings can be seen in the image below.
qfan.png

You'll want Standard. It will adjust the speed as needed.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
He said (if you read the OP) he replaced it with an Asus M5A78L-M LE. That pic I posted is from it's manual.

Wentu

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Thank you all for the replies.

@Cliffro: both settings were already ok (Enabled + standard). Even setting the mode to SILENT has no effect whatsoever.

@Smorizio and getochkn: honestly? I don't know, but i'll try to check if the number of wires is the same.

Yes I realized my mistake and forgot that part when I posted.

@OP, check the fans. Some fan controllers nowadays on MB's are 4 pin PWM fans and a 3pin fan, it just powers on full. Some can work with both, some only like 1 kind.