AMD FX6100 + ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard - Nice Config?

jayantag

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi Forum,

Newbie here so please excuse me if I have made some mistake!
I'm planning to buy a desktop PC for work. Here is the configuration I have thought of:

AMD FX6100 Processor
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard (Gigabyte 880GM option)

SEAGATE 1TB 7200 Hard disk (Corsair SSD 60GB option)
CORSAIR 2x4GB Vengeance

ASUS Internal 24x DVD drive
COOLERMASTER Elite 343 Cabinet

DELL 20 Inch LED Monitor
COOLERMASTER 450W GX Bronze
MICROSOFT Keyboard + Mouse

My question is: What is your opinion of the configuration? Does it seem powerful enough for a budget of around $500?
Also, which WiFi card can I buy that will go well with this config?

Thanks a lot for your inputs and hope you liked this! Took me quite a lot of research :)

Cheers,
Jayant

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I would choose M5A99X EVO instead of M5A88

A few more Watts on the PSU wouldn't hurt, in case you plan to upgrade something you wouldn't need a new PSU, also PSU have it's peak efficiency at ~50% load

And where did you put the GPU ??

jayantag

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey thanks idroid and Dangi for replying.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by buying a more powerful PSU. I thought I already bought a pretty expensive one! Please tell me the benefits of buying an even more powerful PSU...if possible please suggest a Coolermaster one as that is the brand available readily in my city.

What exactly is 50% load peak efficiency?

This was a machine I bought for work and will install the LINUX OS on it, so that's why didn't buy a graphics card. Was that a good decision? Just added a USB wi-fi card though, I forgot to order it.

But overall, do you think it's a nice buy? I paid $600 finally for the entire configuration after local taxes and stuff.

Thanks!

BillV523

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

been running one with Linux on it for nigh on 3yrs, yes is good machine but went with 600w PSU, Thermaltake case with extra cooling fans, & 16GB (4x4) 1600 GSkill ripjaws X ram, run several instances of Virtualbox (mostly for Windows XP home 32bit and W7pro64bit, but also test Linux distro's), i have no problems with the onboard amd graphics but not a gamer either so gamers might want something different, i do video transcoding, audio converting without any issues - very good home/work desktop for the price for Asus. M5A88-M w/FX6100 3.3ghz