Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crysis 2 and Battfield 3 hd 6990 help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2012 12:34:53 AM

Hi new to the form but really confused now, I researched my video card and it shows that my computer and my raedon hd 6990 is powerful enough to run crysis 2 on ultra but when i play it crashes " fixed it by lowering everything" but now i get flickering and when i minimize i get square display things. I was wondering if anyone knew a way or if they updated it.

Side question I tried using Raedon Pro with bioshock crossfire but when i start the game with raedonpro there is a "RED X" on my icon for raedonpro only when running the game. Is that a problem and can you fix that?

Also if crysis 2 just doesnt work i might buy Battlefield 3 but i dont want the same problem.
I have 16 gb of ram and i7 2600 and raedon hd 6990 with windows 7 and 875 watt PSU, and yes it is a alienware i got it for cheap on refurbished.

I purposely bought a new computer for games like crysis 2 and diablo 3 and maybe battlefield.

PLEASE help PLEASE.

More about : crysis battfield 6990

a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:12:15 AM

Crysis 2 ultra is very demanding and will push your 6990 and you crappy PSU which is the likely defect in your system.

What kind of PSU is it??

Have you updated your video cards drivers, are all the power connectors plugged in your 6990?
Score
July 12, 2012 1:32:28 AM

redeemer said:
Crysis 2 ultra is very demanding and will push your 6990 and you crappy PSU which is the likely defect in your system.

What kind of PSU is it??

Have you updated your video cards drivers, are all the power connectors plugged in your 6990?

The alienware machine (dell) would NOT have a CRAPPY power supply. Why would you even bring that up considering it even shows its a 875watt ps?

Crysis 2 isn't all that demanding.. its no Metro 2033
Score
Related resources
July 12, 2012 1:37:41 AM

should i replace my psu?
Score
July 12, 2012 1:38:19 AM

and can i play bf3 with my setup alienware aura 3 i want to know before i buy it for 100 on combo deal
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 2:27:42 AM

zloginet said:
The alienware machine (dell) would NOT have a CRAPPY power supply. Why would you even bring that up considering it even shows its a 875watt ps?

Crysis 2 isn't all that demanding.. its no Metro 2033

Wattage means nothing at all, the number of (AMPS) on a rail is the most important thing! You want to run a 6990 with all the fixings you need a good quality PSU with at least 62amps and over 750watts oh and Metro is just a very bad coded game even my SLi GTX 680 cannot run it well. Crysis 2 on ultra specs is very demanding indeed!

Check the link the PSU is garbage

http://www.stuartconnections.com/fr/power-supplies/5842...
Score
July 12, 2012 1:10:47 PM

redeemer said:
Wattage means nothing at all, the number of (AMPS) on a rail is the most important thing! You want to run a 6990 with all the fixings you need a good quality PSU with at least 62amps and over 750watts oh and Metro is just a very bad coded game even my SLi GTX 680 cannot run it well. Crysis 2 on ultra specs is very demanding indeed!

Check the link the PSU is garbage

http://www.stuartconnections.com/fr/power-supplies/5842...

Dell put a 6990 in its rig with that PSU because they new it would work fine. Their Quality Assurance program specially for their gaming series is solid. You saying that PSU will not work with a 6990 is like saying I can't max out Metro 2033 with my 7970s.

Your right, Metro 2033 is poorly coded, however Crysis 2 isn't very demanding. Crysis 1 with mods is more demanding.

His POWERSUPPLY in that unit is just fine for the 6990, unless there is something wrong with it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 3:57:00 PM

Crysis 2 in DX11 is quite demanding, although you should be getting 60+fps with a 6990 if it was working properly. Your system is certainly powerful enough to run BF3, but you obviously have some issue that prevents Crysis 2 from running well that is likely to effect BF3 as well. I would make sure you have the newest drivers installed and run the game with MSI afterburner running in the background to monitor your GPU temps and make sure it's not overheating. If it's not overheating and you still have issues I would start the RMA process assuming it's still under warranty.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 9:13:03 PM

zloginet said:
Dell put a 6990 in its rig with that PSU because they new it would work fine. Their Quality Assurance program specially for their gaming series is solid. You saying that PSU will not work with a 6990 is like saying I can't max out Metro 2033 with my 7970s.

Your right, Metro 2033 is poorly coded, however Crysis 2 isn't very demanding. Crysis 1 with mods is more demanding.

His POWERSUPPLY in that unit is just fine for the 6990, unless there is something wrong with it.

Hmm not sure if you checked the link but yeah the famous trick advertise high wattage, reality very weak rails! Dell just want to sell PC's, you declaring Dell's Assurance program is a joke. Example if dell sells 1000 computers with 6990's and a cheap power supply maybe 100-150 will be returned by the customer the rest will probably be fine until the warranty period is over. Its called business strategy!!
Score
July 13, 2012 1:03:06 AM

Would changing my PSU to a better one change some problems and is that the only option i tried using raedonpro, i might use ati tray but im not sure how to use it, and im downloading msi afterburner but im not sure if it will work with my card or amd ccc. If changing my psu will increase my computer "graphics card" i will but if there is any other software or setup that will help me run this because i heard other people are having problems too but i tried those options but they dont work and can someone please tell me what that X is on raedon pro when i start crysis 2 from it. And does origin make using raedon pro hardeR?
Score
July 13, 2012 4:21:07 AM

redeemer said:
Hmm not sure if you checked the link but yeah the famous trick advertise high wattage, reality very weak rails! Dell just want to sell PC's, you declaring Dell's Assurance program is a joke. Example if dell sells 1000 computers with 6990's and a cheap power supply maybe 100-150 will be returned by the customer the rest will probably be fine until the warranty period is over. Its called business strategy!!

Do you realize how cheap 850watt ps are??? I disagree that Alienware (Dell) with having a $1000 gpu in their system would allow such a scenario. I worked for PDS (Paragon Develompment Systems), CDW was our direct competitor. Dell had some of the best products come through the door when it came to gaming and business type products.

The quaitly assurance *** program they have is for their $351.95 systems you see at Best Buy.

If Dell actually had a 6990 option for that Alienware rig, why would they pair such if it doesn't run a game. With my 6970 and crysis 2 maxed I averaged around 34fps... That was with a 1100t, this dude has a 6990 and a 2600. He should easily average around 55+.... 2x 6970s average around 61fps....

There is something else wrong here...
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 1:48:43 PM

juni3789 said:
Would changing my PSU to a better one change some problems and is that the only option i tried using raedonpro, i might use ati tray but im not sure how to use it, and im downloading msi afterburner but im not sure if it will work with my card or amd ccc. If changing my psu will increase my computer "graphics card" i will but if there is any other software or setup that will help me run this because i heard other people are having problems too but i tried those options but they dont work and can someone please tell me what that X is on raedon pro when i start crysis 2 from it. And does origin make using raedon pro hardeR?

I wouldn't bother with radeon pro at this point, you have a 6990 you shouldn't have to tweak settings to get playable framerates from any game. The issue is that your card is not working properly not that you need to lower settings. This could be because the card is faulty, it is overheating, or the power supply is faulty and not delivering steady current to the card. MSI afterburner works with any brand card and will not affect CCC. Dell PSU's are usually solid, and the 6990 has a reputation for overheating so I would lean towards it being the card and not the PSU.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 2:45:48 PM

I have 2X 6990's.

BF3 is phenominal as far as scaling and fluidity.

Crysis 2 on the otherhand, scales horribly and I speak from experience. I use "AFR" through CCC. Just setup an app profile using the rendering mode with 'Crysis2.exe' and you'll get perfect scaling.

Try completely re-installing drivers using my method:

12.7beta drivers...

1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.7beta drivers here but don't install.
3) Custom uninstall AMD software through the "Control Panel" and select everything and reboot.
4) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
5) Re-install CCC and reboot.
July 15, 2012 12:49:31 AM

1. What is AFR i looked for it in google and go nothing - please explain so i can play =]
2. I have done all those things but dell is sending a new card to replace mine.
3. I checked my temps and they were all around 50-65
4. Crysis 2 - i run in a window it runs but i get graphic spots and lags when i load into any game and in campaign i get flickering? wtf
5.BF3- RUNS PERFECT but non-stop flickering all day wtf
6.I heard mw2 black ops 2 was coming out and i saw the trailier and im thinking of getting it but i dont want to run into the same problem wasting money on a game do you guys think it will have the same problems?
7.I will run a clean sweep again when i get my new card installed on tuesday i think or Wednesday.

THANK YOU ALL for trying to help.
Bought a brand new cpu to play d3 and high graphic fps shooters reallly want to just play and not tweak over and over
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 5:08:02 AM

Bottom of AMD CFX Mode... in CCC.

1) Set to AFR Friendly and APPLY
2) Scroll up to Application Profiles and click Save
3) A new window will open and find the Crysis2.exe installation folder and click on Crysis2.exe **usually C: \Origin Games (or Steam)\Crysis 2\bin32**
4) Another window will pop up and click "YES"
5) Once done creating the App profile make sure to set CFX mode back to DEFAULT and APPLY
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 5:10:57 AM

zloginet said:
Do you realize how cheap 850watt ps are??? I disagree that Alienware (Dell) with having a $1000 gpu in their system would allow such a scenario. I worked for PDS (Paragon Develompment Systems), CDW was our direct competitor. Dell had some of the best products come through the door when it came to gaming and business type products.

The quaitly assurance *** program they have is for their $351.95 systems you see at Best Buy.

If it's a Delta PSU, :me gusta: [:lutfij:4]
Score
July 16, 2012 3:40:09 AM

I tried that but it still glitched. after i set crysis 2 i saved it and went to select profile and i selected crysis 2 one i made and ran it but it didnt help.

Oh yah i called ea/origin support for other issues and i asked

me- my crysis 2 is glitching and i have a raedon hd 6990 why?

him - let me check

me- ok

him - ok try running crysis 2 game in administrative mode

me - ok, but it will freeze again and get a blue screen

him - try it i promise it will work and not freeze

me - ok " i try"

FREEZE and cant contact him/ i got trolled.

can raedon 6990 not run crysis 2 in full screen. and i really want to buy black ops 2 !!! should i or will it burn again!!! PLEASE
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 4:04:47 PM

Haven't played in a while, but here's a short little "mess-around" video I made to show you a single 6990 and AFR.

Score
July 18, 2012 3:06:23 AM

Got a "new" card still flickers. I reinstalled drivers I put fan at 90% i tried using AFR mode didnt help anything.

Please i dont want to say my 600-900 graphics card cant play a $50 game
Score
July 18, 2012 5:40:13 AM

OK apparently only my menu flickers and crysis 2 works but it is "REALLY" bright on light. i played a boat map and everything was shinning
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 12:45:21 PM

juni3789 said:
OK apparently only my menu flickers and crysis 2 works but it is "REALLY" bright on light. i played a boat map and everything was shinning

Can you record what you're talking about?

...and what about BF3?
Score
July 20, 2012 6:53:19 PM

How do i record it, and BF3 runs fine just the opening movie and some movies have flashing but i can play the game on ultra fine so it works out.

ALSO - i have the 875 watt PSU and i was wondering if it is worth 300 dollars to get a corsair 1200W PSU

my requirement for PSU wattage is 725 or 775 i think.
i am not going to overlock or anything I am just gonna keep the cpu as it is.
I might get something to cool down my GPU but everything i found isnt changing the fan on the GPU itself but i rather not do that. If you guys know anything that will cool it down a good amount. like the PSU fan or a PCI fan or something.

THANK YOU GUYS ALOT FOR THE HELP
=]
Score
July 20, 2012 6:54:13 PM

OH yah. im only gonna have astro headphones plugged in with USB and maybe a 3TB seagate external hardrive.

WIll those require me to have a better PSU?
Score
July 20, 2012 7:07:11 PM

I have a mouse,keyboard,external hardrive and astro headphones with raedon hd 6990 with 875 watt will it turn my computer off or will the usb drives take too much power.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 7:18:04 PM

As long as it's not a crappy psu, you should be fine.
Score
July 22, 2012 2:06:10 AM

Best answer selected by juni3789.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:54:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!