Can I Add A Graphics Card To My Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustPressW

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I know next to nothing about computer hardware, I'm pretty much a casual gamer/software enthusiast and my knowledge of the interior of a PC is pretty negligible. Having said that I'm curious if I could take my current prebuilt computer and install a dedicated graphics card in it to upgrade from my mega slow onboard graphics card.

It's an eMachines ELI358 with a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics card. I opened up the case and found (along with piles of dust which I quickly cleaned) a PCI-1 express or something and a longer one that was a PCI 16x express or something. The only wire that was not in use from my power supply had 4 pins (so I'm guessing it's a 4-pin?). It also has these two metal slots on the back that look like they could possibly be removable so that's where I would put the back end of the card with all of the ports and stuff.

Is it possible? Or will I need a new computer? I just want better graphics performance and I also want to be able to use more than one monitor (my onboard card only has one DVI port). Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Oh I managed to find this specs list on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114097

Solution
That's a slimline case, which severely limits your upgrade options. You can add a card, but you'd have to look for low-profile cards since full size cards won't fit in that case. Low-profile cards are limited to low-end video cards since more powerful cards need a bigger circuit board and bigger coolers.

If you do add a card though, you're basically right: shut down the computer and unplug it, remove the cover from the slot in the back, plug the card into the long slot (a low-profile card won't need an extra power plug), restart and install drivers.
That's a slimline case, which severely limits your upgrade options. You can add a card, but you'd have to look for low-profile cards since full size cards won't fit in that case. Low-profile cards are limited to low-end video cards since more powerful cards need a bigger circuit board and bigger coolers.

If you do add a card though, you're basically right: shut down the computer and unplug it, remove the cover from the slot in the back, plug the card into the long slot (a low-profile card won't need an extra power plug), restart and install drivers.

Solution

JustPressW

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for :) I'll go check some stores for a low-profile card right now then. I appreciate the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.