Computer name returning a different address then it is assigned.

mledezma

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello,

I have 2 servers. 1 is a terminal server windows 2003 sb terminal server.(working fine :) ) and the other is server 2003 small business DC configured with dhcp, dns, SQL, & wins.

Last week one of the network programs that is located on the DC started refusing connections.

So doing some trouble shooting I noticed that when I ping the server name I get a local address of *.*.*.42 when the address the machine is assigned is *.*.*.5. When I do an Ipconfig /all on the DC it only shows the *.*.*.5 number. I look in DHCP and *.*.*.5 is reserved for the DC Computer. And the *.*.*.42 isn't even in the address leases. I have also looked through the DNS settings and see no alias with the .42 number. And the number does not show up in the reverse lookup zone either.

Not sure where else to look. Any help would be appreciated.

mledezma

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thank you!

I see, there were 2 wins address associations to that computer name. I deleted the incorrect one and all seems to be working fine. Any reason why that would have happened?

WINS does not always work well in finding and cleaning up new and old data. It's not often when it does that, but it does happen. As to why this happens, you may want to poke around the Microsoft msdn site for any articles about it, last time I dealt with working on a live DNS and WINS setup was around the year 2000, I'm a bit rusty in my knowledge :)

mledezma

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Well, thank you for the info. Much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS