Nikon D50 or Canon 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 13, 2005 11:55:17 PM

Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.

focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.

Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.

Alex

More about : nikon d50 canon 350d

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:55:18 PM

In article <dg7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>
> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>
> Alex

For me, the choice came down to ergonomics and "feel". The D50 menus are
easy to read and use, and the camera itself just feels better in the
hand, and seems better built.

In terms of picture quality, any differences are far outweighed by the
skills of the photographer. You can get excellent photos with either. Or
bad ones :)

Bob B.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:55:19 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:23:00 -0700, Bob B. wrote:

> In article <dg7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
> "alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>>
>> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>>
>> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>>
>> Alex
>
> For me, the choice came down to ergonomics and "feel". The D50 menus are
> easy to read and use, and the camera itself just feels better in the hand,
> and seems better built.
>
> In terms of picture quality, any differences are far outweighed by the
> skills of the photographer. You can get excellent photos with either. Or
> bad ones :)
>
> Bob B.

I'd definitely second this. Go to a store and try all of the cameras
you're considering in person. See how they feel/fit in your hands, run
through some settings, take a few shots. If you have your own memory
cards already, bring a couple with you (CF for the Canons and D70, SD for
the D50), so that you can see what the shots look like when you get home.

It would be better still if you could borrow one or more from a friend for
a few hours (or days?) so that you could take shots of something other
than the inside of a camera shop.
September 14, 2005 1:51:06 AM

"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>
> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.

I bought the Canon 350D - it's excellent (as the Nikon probably is). If you
buy the Canon you will not be diappointed. I also invested in L lenses, then
when Canon produce a full frame sensor camera for reasonable money (2 or 3
years away perhaps) I will have a good set of lenses.

I don't know how big you can print from the Nikon but I am producing 32cm
by 48cm prints from the Canon and they are very very good.

John
September 14, 2005 6:30:22 AM

"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>
> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>
> Alex

Of the two, I would definitely pick the Canon. Much better performance in
lower light with usable pictures possible into ISO 1600.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:20:35 AM

With both cameras you can make great pictures. I was told the kit lens for
the 350D is a piece of junk and you should buy a more expensive Canon zoom
lens. The Nikon kit lens is ok. I got one myself with the D70.

But do not just look at the D50 but also at the next level up, the D2X.
Well, the D2X cost you $5000 should you want to upgrade, which is
outrageous. (BTW, I do not consider the D70 to be a real upgrade to the D50,
although I would always buy the D70 before even considering the D50.) -
Needless to say, today, Canon gives you a much better choice: 350D, 20D, 5D,

If you do not own Nikon gears, get the Canon. Tomorrow, I hope, it will look
differently. But today, Canon is the winner! If you buy a DSLR, you must
look at the system and not just at one camera body.

Side note: if you require an MLU for your work, you have no choice but to
take the 350D. BTW, don't think the camera does not feel right in your
hands. For the 350D, you can get a battery grip.

Gregor

"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>
> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>
> Alex

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:29:35 PM

In article <2XLVe.46285$4i6.32500@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
"Rick" <swtravlr@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> "alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> > Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
> >
> > focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
> >
> > Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> Of the two, I would definitely pick the Canon. Much better performance in
> lower light with usable pictures possible into ISO 1600.

Based on what? Dpreview disagrees:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page24.asp

Bob B.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:27:30 PM

"Eatmorepies" <naj9daynum3@lineone.net> wrote in message

> "alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>>
>> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>>
>> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>
> I bought the Canon 350D - it's excellent (as the Nikon probably is). If
> you buy the Canon you will not be diappointed. I also invested in L
> lenses, then when Canon produce a full frame sensor camera for reasonable
> money (2 or 3 years away perhaps) I will have a good set of lenses.
>
> I don't know how big you can print from the Nikon but I am producing 32cm
> by 48cm prints from the Canon and they are very very good.
>
> John

Smart man. Put money into the lenses! I also have a good set of full frame
lenses including one L. Now I'm waiting for a full frame dSLR at a
reasonable price. It may be a few years yet, but I'll stick with the
original dRebel until then. I won't have worry about buying a whole new
batch of lenses.
-S
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:10:53 PM

GTO wrote:
> With both cameras you can make great pictures. I was told the kit lens for
> the 350D is a piece of junk and you should buy a more expensive Canon zoom
> lens. The Nikon kit lens is ok. I got one myself with the D70.

The kit lens for the D50 is not the same as the kit lens for the D70.

> If you do not own Nikon gears, get the Canon. Tomorrow, I hope, it will look
> differently. But today, Canon is the winner! If you buy a DSLR, you must
> look at the system and not just at one camera body.

This is a key point that many people overlook. Still, Nikon has
sufficient lenses and accessories, they just lack the higher-end,
full-frame bodies that Canon has.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:13:01 PM

Rick wrote:

> Of the two, I would definitely pick the Canon. Much better performance in
> lower light with usable pictures possible into ISO 1600.

Assuming that low-light performance is important to this person.
Personally, if I had no existing Canon lenses, I'd get the D50 over the
350D.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:29:05 PM

> This is a key point that many people overlook. Still, Nikon has sufficient
> lenses and accessories, they just lack the higher-end, full-frame bodies
> that Canon has.

Probably not a problem for a while I would guess.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:32:24 PM

"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D g7ar5$got$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>
> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
> Any views ... from a beginner to DSLR perspective of course.
>
> Alex

A friend of mine had a Canon 10D, decided to "upgrade" to a 350D, took it
back after a couple of weeks and swapped it for a 20D, he really hated the
feel and handling of the 350D (and he has small fine hands). Personally I
have never liked the feel and handling of the 350D even with a grip it does
not improve, go on try it for yourself.
September 17, 2005 2:08:31 AM

Pete D wrote:

>> Thinking up upgrading my Kodak 6940 to a proper DSLR.
>> focusing on the two above. Not too fussed on 8mp vs 6mp.
>
>A friend of mine had a Canon 10D, decided to "upgrade" to a 350D, took it
>back after a couple of weeks and swapped it for a 20D, he really hated the
>feel and handling of the 350D (and he has small fine hands). Personally I
>have never liked the feel and handling of the 350D even with a grip it does
>not improve, go on try it for yourself.

Note that I'm biased toward Canon because I own Canon glass, but the
general info is relevant either way.

A long time ago (2004), in a galaxy far far away (here actually), a war
was raging inside me. I considered the original Digital Rebel/300 when I
decided I needed to go to a digital SLR because I was sick of processing
film (a digicam spoiled me). But I didn't go for it because it lacked
some needed features.

Then the 20D came out and I considered it, but the price was a bit too
high at the time. So I waited to see if prices would fall, and by the
next year, the Rebel XT/350D arrived with virtually all of the
performance features of the 20D but at a much lower price.

So some time ago I was mulling over the 20D and 350/XT. And to be
honest, I didn't care for the "feel" of the 350/XT at first either
because it seemed so small and it didn't have the rear control dial or
top display screen which I was used to using. But then a friend who has
both the 20D and XT suggested I use his XT for a day, and I was
intrigued. Surprisingly enough I became accustomed to the size, weight,
and handling and didn't mind using it at all...it was familiar to my
Canon digicam.

The menu and controls are different from the 20D, but not at all
difficult to navigate once you learn the menus. Many of the functions
have shortcuts too, so changing ISO from 100 to 400 is just 3 buttons,
tap the shutter, and you're back to shooting.

So after a day of use, I realized I could EASILY learn to live with the
differences between the 20D and XT. So I mulled it over some more,
checked out the accessories list, and found all of my current gear fit
the XT already (my flash, remote release, lenses) which meant less new
toys to buy. So I bought the XT and haven't looked back.

The savings over the 20D body ($800 CDN at the time!!) was a big
incentive too - it would help pay for some new glass which I needed for
the 1.6x crop factor.

Because it's so small though you definitely want the grip, especially
with any serious lenses on the front.

Getting back to the topic, I don't think it really matters which camera
you get. Buy whatever is easier for YOU to use, fits your current lenses
if you have any, and whatever has the features you need. The glass on
the front is FAR more important than the camera body.
!