Got a decent computer, new cpu would yield better performance?

heres my story, i got a super good pc, but im wondering if i go from a i5 2500 nonk to a 3770k if its gonna be worth it, and also since i cant overclock the i5 2500 im bummed out, so yeah would a p67a limit my overclocking abilities versus a new z77 board,

and do u guys think the 3770k id benefit more from than a 3570k since i do alot of multitasking and cpu intensive usage.

heres my full specs:

Cooler-Master 690 Advanced Atx Case.

Razer Black-Sharks Battle-Field3 Edition he@d-phon3z

Corsair 850 Watt Modular Power-Supply

Corsair Vengeance Black Lp 16 Gig Kit 8x2gigs Ddr3 1600mhz

Crucial m4 256gb ssd drive

Western Digital 640GB Caviar Green SATA2 3GB/S 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk

Sapphire Ati 7870 2 Gigabyte Oc

Cooler-Master Quickfire Mx Cherry Blue Mechanical Keyboard.

Logitech G400 Gaming Mouse

razer mentis gaming mousepad clothX

creative gigabit t40 speakers

Samsung 23.6 Inch 1080p Hd Led Monit0r

intel i5 2500 3.3 gigahertz

msi p67a-gd43 socket 1155 mobo

hyper 212 evo+ cooler

Lg Flatron 24inch led

so just wondering i cant really afford to go to a 2011 plateform and dont see myself spending 600$ on a cpu.

so going z77 or sticking with my board and getting either a 3570k or a 3770k depending on the pros and cons i get here.

Solution
The ivy bridge run hotter than the sandy bridge when overclcocked. So, depending on how comfortable you are with higher temps, you might want to upgrade your cooler if you want to overclock above 4.4GHz on the Ivy.

The i7 vs i5 - the hyperthreading gives you faster context switching (in hardware) for threads so you might see a slight benefit there, but I think it would need to be intensive multithreaded applications.

I am not sure if you would gain much over your current Motherboard for overclocking, but with a Z77 you would get PCI-E 3.0 along with other chipset improvements like native USB 3.0.

Then again, Haswell is around the corner. It will be interesting to see how they overclock, but just like going from sandy to ivy, going...

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
2500 is a stout CPU. I thought you could overclock the non-k chips up to the turbo frequency. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Unless you use applications that will make use of the extra threads, an i7 won't be a worth-while upgrade.

Just looking at your parts list, I think putting your OS (and maybe a couple of your favorite games)on an SSD would make the most noticeable difference.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

CPU intensive isn't always the same thing as highly threaded.

If you run highly-threaded applications the extra threads will improve performance. But if you run apps that simply max-out a couple cores, the i7 won't help much.

And an SSD will improve performance. Everything loads faster with an SSD. When you are loading the next level for a video game, you will notice the reduction in load time. (more than the ~5-10 FPS the ivy chip might get you when you actually play the game.)

(2400 ~ 2500k at stock clock)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k_6.html#sect0

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Ooops. I scanned the list twice and missed it. My bad.

For gaming the 3570k is more than enough. I have read in more than one place that games can only do so much when spitting up tasks for the CPU.

That *could* change, but by the time it does, will you even want a CPU from 2012? It's a bit of a guessing game. However, if you want to spend the extra money on the CPU it won't hurt anything more than your wallet.

I use the extra threads in my i7 for HD video rendering. (and got my it new for the price of a 2500k)

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
The ivy bridge run hotter than the sandy bridge when overclcocked. So, depending on how comfortable you are with higher temps, you might want to upgrade your cooler if you want to overclock above 4.4GHz on the Ivy.

The i7 vs i5 - the hyperthreading gives you faster context switching (in hardware) for threads so you might see a slight benefit there, but I think it would need to be intensive multithreaded applications.

I am not sure if you would gain much over your current Motherboard for overclocking, but with a Z77 you would get PCI-E 3.0 along with other chipset improvements like native USB 3.0.

Then again, Haswell is around the corner. It will be interesting to see how they overclock, but just like going from sandy to ivy, going from ivy to Haswell will give you better clock-for-clock performance. May want to stick it out to see how it plays out.

Solution