Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you think of my budget gaming PC?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Corsair
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 30, 2012 2:32:47 PM

AMD Phenonm II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz
MSI 970A-G46 ATX Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 memory 8GB
XFX HD Radeon 6870 1GB
Corsair CX600 Watt power supply

More about : budget gaming

August 30, 2012 5:09:04 PM

I'm not up to speed on AMD and Radeon, I'm more intel Nvidia, but it sounds like it would get the job done.
August 30, 2012 5:27:41 PM

stuweedee123 said:
AMD Phenonm II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz
MSI 970A-G46 ATX Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 memory 8GB
XFX HD Radeon 6870 1GB
Corsair CX600 Watt power supply

Yes that will work fine similar to my build, why not get a 990fx mobo tho?
Related resources
August 30, 2012 5:29:48 PM

Get an i3, it performs better. CPU Hierarchy You could probably snag a 560 ti for the same price as that 6870 too.
August 30, 2012 5:38:03 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Get an i3, it performs better. CPU Hierarchy You could probably snag a 560 ti for the same price as that 6870 too.

No 560ti costs more than the 6870 and 965 could be overclocked to 4.2GHz and being a true quad may be more benificial for games like BF3 where you need atleast a quad core to play multiplayer
August 30, 2012 6:00:44 PM

I'll stand by the i3 and the 560. I just saw a 560 ti going for $150, and I am sorry but AMD cannot even compete with an i3. AMD used to be decent back in the day, but now it is just scrap used if you need to buy a computer for $300. Alot of games, like BF3 run better on NVidia cards as well.

If you go with the 6870, you might be ok, but if you go AMD you will regret it in a year or so. If that.
August 30, 2012 6:33:55 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
I'll stand by the i3 and the 560. I just saw a 560 ti going for $150, and I am sorry but AMD cannot even compete with an i3. AMD used to be decent back in the day, but now it is just scrap used if you need to buy a computer for $300. Alot of games, like BF3 run better on NVidia cards as well.

If you go with the 6870, you might be ok, but if you go AMD you will regret it in a year or so. If that.

Intel fan boys are funny. There is nothing wrong with getting a 965 and 6870 as the 6870 will still be the bottleneck. I doubt the 965 would even bottleneck crossfire 6870. And I have had my AMD CPU for 2 years now and still don't regret it so I don't know what your talking about.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 6:49:45 PM

Looks good!

Shouldn't have any trouble playing most games out there on high quality with comfortable frames.
August 30, 2012 6:59:42 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
I'll stand by the i3 and the 560. I just saw a 560 ti going for $150, and I am sorry but AMD cannot even compete with an i3. AMD used to be decent back in the day, but now it is just scrap used if you need to buy a computer for $300. Alot of games, like BF3 run better on NVidia cards as well.

If you go with the 6870, you might be ok, but if you go AMD you will regret it in a year or so. If that.

AMD cannot compete? Really?

This is an older article from Tom's but the AMD 970 (basically the same as 965) was right there with the i3-2120:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

The only game the i3 had a noticable advantage on was SC2, the rest the cpu's traded blows.

And if you overclock the 965 (easily done), then it will be even better than the i3 (which you cannot overclock).
August 30, 2012 7:01:05 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
Intel fan boys are funny. There is nothing wrong with getting a 965 and 6870 as the 6870 will still be the bottleneck. I doubt the 965 would even bottleneck crossfire 6870. And I have had my AMD CPU for 2 years now and still don't regret it so I don't know what your talking about.


*shurgs* I rely on benchmarks and statistics. It is not my fault they all point to intel being a better CPU. I am not bashing the 6870, like I said a 560 ti for $150 is not something you would want to pass up. It is funny that I am an intel fanboy when my first computer, which I still have and still runs, is an AMD CPU. Back then AMD was a decent compeditor with Intel, and I loved it. Since they fell off the boat...well what can I say, I am not the captian, and I am not going down with that ship.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 7:08:10 PM

Meh, I'd rather have the quad core anyways. The intel can't handle as much multi tasking vs. the phenom 965 black. AMD motherboards are also generally cheaper than intel.
August 30, 2012 7:35:09 PM

Yes you can overclock some i3 chips, Toms just put there new 2012 review of CPU's and Toms just rated all the main i3 chips over AMD. i3's are also hyperthreaded to 4 cores to give them that multitasking edge. I can put together an i3+mobo alot cheaper than AMD. Mostly due to the fact that you will need to also buy an aftermarket HSF, which you do not have to do with the i3.
August 30, 2012 7:47:30 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Yes you can overclock some i3 chips, Toms just put there new 2012 review of CPU's and Toms just rated all the main i3 chips over AMD. i3's are also hyperthreaded to 4 cores to give them that multitasking edge. I can put together an i3+mobo alot cheaper than AMD. Mostly due to the fact that you will need to also buy an aftermarket HSF, which you do not have to do with the i3.


I don't think you even fully understand what hyper threading is mate. It DOES NOT give it the multi tasking edge, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289 I'm using the 970BE as a point of reference since the 965BE can be easily overclocked to those levels and higher.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 7:54:51 PM

Unfortunately, last year I fell for the hype about how great Bulldozer was going to be; my 970BE is only clinging to life on the merits of the mobo I bought, otherwise I'd ditch it for another Intel rig; I've since upgraded my backup system to an i5-3570K and if I can deal with the limited # of SATA ports on its otherwise good mini-ITX mobo (I got that for little more than half price), it will become my primary rig. At stock, it blows the doors off the AMD CPU. The review of GW2 performance shows just how badly AMD fares vs. Intel now. Sad, but true.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 7:58:14 PM

whooleo said:
I don't think you even fully understand what hyper threading is mate. It DOES NOT give it the multi tasking edge, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289 I'm using the 970BE as a point of reference since the 965BE can be easily overclocked to those levels and higher.

Interesting how the two chips (actually the 980BE, but that's just as easy to hit) trade blows, with AMD showing a little better, UNTIL you get to games, where the i3 wins in every case. Since this is to be a gaming rig, that's the most relevant data.
August 30, 2012 7:58:36 PM

well for one the 2100 chip is not the one you would want to get. Hyperthreading is...uh..well lets put it this way you have two physical cores and two virtual cores. The i3 shows fuctions with, and shows as having '4 cores'. Now looking at your benchmarks there, it looks to me like that intel 2100 has the advantage over the 970BE. Even with overclocking, AMD just cannot compete, and then your spending more money to be able to overclock. If you are going to go that route you would be better off just buying the i5 3570k, which without a shadow of a doubt blows away any AMD chip.
August 30, 2012 8:00:42 PM

Onus said:
Unfortunately, last year I fell for the hype about how great Bulldozer was going to be; my 970BE is only clinging to life on the merits of the mobo I bought, otherwise I'd ditch it for another Intel rig; I've since upgraded my backup system to an i5-3570K and if I can deal with the limited # of SATA ports on its otherwise good mini-ITX mobo (I got that for little more than half price), it will become my primary rig. At stock, it blows the doors off the AMD CPU. The review of GW2 performance shows just how badly AMD fares vs. Intel now. Sad, but true.

Why are you comparing an Intel CPU that costs twice as much as the AMD?
August 30, 2012 8:02:54 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
Why are you comparing an Intel CPU that costs twice as much as the AMD?


i3 = $125
mobo = $45 (check my sig, its a great board for an i3)

Intel i3 does not need an aftermarket heatsink/fan, AMD does. Show me an AMD setup that costs less than $170 and out performs with benchmarks stated, and I will eat my words.
August 30, 2012 8:05:50 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
i3 = $125
mobo = $45 (check my sig, its a great board for an i3)

Intel i3 does not need an aftermarket heatsink/fan, AMD does. Show me an AMD setup that costs less than $170 and out performs with benchmarks stated, and I will eat my words.

If you read what post I replied to he was comparing the 3570K to the 970.
August 30, 2012 8:07:37 PM

AMD 965 BE = $110
mobo = $90
HSF = $30 (hyper 212 evo)

Total = $230

So by spending $60 more you get less performance. I would rather save $60 and get more performance like a bigger GPU.
August 30, 2012 8:08:39 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
If you read what post I replied to he was comparing the 3570K to the 970.


uh...i plugged in the 2100 myself because i was searching for a 2130 or some other newer i3.

Edit: Wait no it is the 980 BE and the 2100 he has listed there. where do you get the 3570k?
August 30, 2012 8:09:24 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
AMD 965 BE = $110
mobo = $90
HSF = $30 (hyper 212 evo)

Total = $230

So by spending $60 more you get less performance. I would rather save $60 and get more performance like a bigger GPU.

I can make up numbers to
i3 = 125
mobo = 200
HSF = 100

Total=425

By the sounds of you intel fan boys you want AMD to go out of buisness so you can pay even more for your intel CPU's
I'm not bashing intel I just like competition and always saying go intel when AMD is king of budget pc's is bad for competition.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 8:15:57 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
uh...i plugged in the 2100 myself because i was searching for a 2130 or some other newer i3.

Edit: Wait no it is the 980 BE and the 2100 he has listed there. where do you get the 3570k?

He was replying to me. I mentioned rebuilding my backup rig with the Intel chip. It's a mini-ITX build though, so it has physical drive space and thermal limitations that the full-sized AMD rig doesn't have. The 970BE has been "good enough," but looking at the GW2 (my primary game) results, the AMD chip could easily falter.
August 30, 2012 8:48:41 PM

Onus said:
He was replying to me. I mentioned rebuilding my backup rig with the Intel chip. It's a mini-ITX build though, so it has physical drive space and thermal limitations that the full-sized AMD rig doesn't have. The 970BE has been "good enough," but looking at the GW2 (my primary game) results, the AMD chip could easily falter.


Ah gotcha. It is sad to see this happen. I remember right before the i-series my dream computer was built off an AMD chip. I really wish they would just get there crap together and knock intel out of the park.
August 30, 2012 8:48:59 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
I can make up numbers to
i3 = 125
mobo = 200
HSF = 100

Total=425

By the sounds of you intel fan boys you want AMD to go out of buisness so you can pay even more for your intel CPU's
I'm not bashing intel I just like competition and always saying go intel when AMD is king of budget pc's is bad for competition.


Yes I will say what we are all thinking, you are that stupid. The prices for the intel parts are listed in my sig. The prices for the AMD parts are for the OP's listed parts at newegg. The only one making up numbers is yourself. Just...whatever dude...your an idiot...
August 30, 2012 8:58:24 PM

Actually I was replying in regards to DarkOutLaw's comment about how the i3 multitasks better however, some of you misread my comment because I was not talking about gaming. Now focusing on the topic at hand, the i3 is not as future proof because more and more games are being optimized for quad cores.
August 30, 2012 9:16:03 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
i3 = $125
mobo = $45 (check my sig, its a great board for an i3)

Intel i3 does not need an aftermarket heatsink/fan, AMD does. Show me an AMD setup that costs less than $170 and out performs with benchmarks stated, and I will eat my words.


Phenom II 965 = $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
mobo = $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I could have went with an even cheaper board, but figured I had the $60 to spend =)

I posted this one before:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Here is one I found, it shows the i3-2120 winning pretty much each benchmark, but this was done at 1680 X 1050:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The Intel vs. AMD is an argument that will last forever (hopefully). We could trade blows all day. Going with either the i3 or the PII X4 would be fine. i don't feel there is a wrong decision with either.
August 30, 2012 9:21:33 PM

maui67 said:
Phenom II 965 = $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
mobo = $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I could have went with an even cheaper board, but figured I had the $60 to spend =)

I posted this one before:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Here is one I found, it shows the i3-2120 winning pretty much each benchmark, but this was done at 1680 X 1050:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The Intel vs. AMD is an argument that will last forever (hopefully). We could trade blows all day. Going with either the i3 or the PII X4 would be fine. i don't feel there is a wrong decision with either.


I couldn't agree any more.
August 30, 2012 9:41:17 PM

maui67 said:
Phenom II 965 = $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
mobo = $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I could have went with an even cheaper board, but figured I had the $60 to spend =)

I posted this one before:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Here is one I found, it shows the i3-2120 winning pretty much each benchmark, but this was done at 1680 X 1050:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The Intel vs. AMD is an argument that will last forever (hopefully). We could trade blows all day. Going with either the i3 or the PII X4 would be fine. i don't feel there is a wrong decision with either.


Well since we are debating over an i3 chip and an AMD chip i doubt we have to worry about triple monitor surround vision. You leave out the price of the $30 heatsink you will have to buy with the AMD. the i3 wont need an aftermarket HSF.
August 31, 2012 7:17:20 AM

sheepsnowadays said:
Yes that will work fine similar to my build, why not get a 990fx mobo tho?

not in budget

August 31, 2012 3:39:43 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Well since we are debating over an i3 chip and an AMD chip i doubt we have to worry about triple monitor surround vision. You leave out the price of the $30 heatsink you will have to buy with the AMD. the i3 wont need an aftermarket HSF.

Oh for crying out loud...let the HSF argument die already. The AMD chip also comes with a HSF and you can do a mild overclock with the stock fan.

As I have stated and shown with statistics, the i3 and the PII 965 are basically equal performance-wise at stock speeds.

And what does "triple monitor surround vision" have to do with this thread?
August 31, 2012 4:20:13 PM

maui67 said:

Here is one I found, it shows the i3-2120 winning pretty much each benchmark, but this was done at 1680 X 1050:


This is why I mentioned its. "but this was done at 1680x1050" I was simply stating that since we are debating over the i3 and an AMD chip that the OP does not have the budget to get a triple monitor system working, therefore 1680x1050 is probably pretty close to what the OP will be running to be relevant.
!