Sign in with
Your question

What do you guys think of my first build?

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2012 2:43:23 PM

Hello all, new to the forum and I joined specifically because I'm in the process of building my first custom rig, but I think I'll be sticking around :) 

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at my specs and tell me if there's any wiggle room for downgrading one aspect to marginally upgrade another where it will be more meaningful.

Main uses of rig: Gaming, Web Browsing, Movies (Blu) + Music... I want to be able to run all current games on maxed settings with relative ease.. and I've got my eyes on GTAV and the endless modding that will stem from that.

CF/SLI: Nope, but possible in future

CPU: Intel i5-3750K
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 (still thinking about the OC edition.. any thoughts on this? They appear to be the same price at newegg right now)
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 8 GB (2x4Gb) DDR3
PSU: 450W FSP Group Booster X5
HDD: 120GB (O.S. + Essentials) / 500GB (Media)
OD: Bluray+Cd+DVD
Cooler: H100 Liquid Cooler

I'm also looking for suggestions from folks on a sick looking case that would still maybe be considered "budget", and I'd like to trick it out with some neon. Make it look as mean as possible, haha.

Thanks everyone! :sol: 

More about : guys build

August 30, 2012 2:56:41 PM

This is almost comical considering the rest of your well researched build.

Spend some money on a PSU from Corsair or PC&P or franky just about anything would be better than your selection.

since you are keeping it cheap perhaps try a cx 500 from corsair
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:02:37 PM

spentshells said:

Spend some money on a PSU from Corsair or PC&P or franky just about anything would be better than your selection.

Haha, I assumed this was going to be way off. I had to stop last night when I was just about to fall asleep, and so I used some janky wattage calculator online to try to figure out what type of supply I would need. Thank you very much for setting me straight :na: 
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 3:15:53 PM

If you plan to overclock heavily a quality brand 600 watts would be best.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2012 3:42:45 PM

I agree, unless you're getting into some heavy overclocking a fan setup will be fine.
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:48:36 PM

mikerockett said:
I agree, unless you're getting into some heavy overclocking a fan setup will be fine.

Well I'm planning on overclocking to a comfortable level.. maybe 4.5 ghz or something like that? I guess I'll just have to stress test and see where the temps start to get out of control. Thanks for the advice.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2012 4:00:11 PM

I think a generally accepted recommendation is the hyper 212 evo (or is it +, i forget), and that will get you to pretty good clock speeds.
m
l
August 30, 2012 4:04:26 PM

mikerockett said:
I think a generally accepted recommendation is the hyper 212 evo (or is it +, i forget), and that will get you to pretty good clock speeds.

awesome awesome awesome. Feels good to be working towards a finished product, thanks for the help mike.

I suppose now, all that remains is to find a cool / cheap (conflicting ideals I know) case and figure out the visual augmentations I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with that kinda stuff that can suggest a cool theme? Lol I like the idea of a black and red or blue theme, if that helps at all? I'm sure I can find info on this elsewhere too, but I thought I'd ask since you guys are making me lazy with all this helpful knowledge :lol: 

m
l
August 30, 2012 7:57:18 PM

Another question for anyone out there that feels like answering. For the money, would an ssd for loading the OS + essentials be worth it, or am I better served just sticking with the hdd? Especially for a semi-budgeted rig? This is more a matter of opinion I suppose, but I curious what you folks have to say about your experiences with ssd.
m
l
August 30, 2012 8:28:23 PM

whatRU said:
Another question for anyone out there that feels like answering. For the money, would an ssd for loading the OS + essentials be worth it, or am I better served just sticking with the hdd? Especially for a semi-budgeted rig? This is more a matter of opinion I suppose, but I curious what you folks have to say about your experiences with ssd.

I just went with a HDD for now since im on a budget but i will get a SDD for a boot and a few games later on
m
l
August 30, 2012 8:29:34 PM

I love the look of the NZXT Phantom cases and the 410 series they look really good and are at a reasonable price.... well for me that is but i think there worth it
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:04:00 PM

Technoob420 said:
I just went with a HDD for now since im on a budget but i will get a SDD for a boot and a few games later on

I love the look of the NZXT's as well.. I'm looking at this guy here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

vs this guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

vs this guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm currently trying to locate a 3-sided coin :sarcastic: 

any recommendations among those three finalists? Seems like the NZXT is the best deal just based on it's original price (it's on sale right now) but that's not always the best indicator. Will I have spacing issues with the current parts I've listed, with any of these three at all? From what I gather, all three are supposed to be pretty wide open and easy to build in but you might have prior experience.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:19:01 PM

if its a price issue id prbly go with the 2nd or 3rd i personally wouldnt go with the first cuz i dont see any cable managment in that one and why have a huge window if ur cables are showing ? lol only problem i see with the other 2 is they have those windows but huge fans blocking the view lol from my point of view atleast.
Im going to be useing this one mainly for the outside looks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., i also like the fans it has and a directional one on the inside that can actually be removed if my gtx 670 ftw is to big

Hmmm it actually looks like none have cable managment so if that is the case i dont think it would look asthetically pleasing to have cables everywhere lol
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:29:55 PM

Technoob420 said:
if its a price issue id prbly go with the 2nd or 3rd i personally wouldnt go with the first cuz i dont see any cable managment in that one and why have a huge window if ur cables are showing ? lol only problem i see with the other 2 is they have those windows but huge fans blocking the view lol from my point of view atleast.
Im going to be useing this one mainly for the outside looks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., i also like the fans it has and a directional one on the inside that can actually be removed if my gtx 670 ftw is to big

Hmmm it actually looks like none have cable managment so if that is the case i dont think it would look asthetically pleasing to have cables everywhere lol

Yeah I agree about the first one. Aesthetically I like them mainly because of the LED's in the fans, and I guess I shouldn't really be concerned about the size of the window into the machine if I don't have a theme or any real organization as far as that goes anyway. If I had $50 more in my budget I'd jump up to something more in your range.. that looks like a really cool case, but I'm really trying to cut dollars wherever I feel okay about it. Is fitting my HD 7870 into either of the last 2 going to be an issue? I've also read with the 2nd one that some power supply cords come up a little short, so that might be a problem.

The reviews on the 2nd one mention lots of cable management options, it's just not listed in the product details for whatever reason.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:31:35 PM

This build does not need 600 watts, end of story. Unless you intend to get another 7870 sometime soon, your original selection of the 450 watt FSP was fine. You can take comfort in the fact that FSP is one of the most preeminent OEM's of power supplies in the world. You could go all the way to a GTX 680 and still only need a 450 watt PSU.

spentshells said:

You do know that FSP manufactures some of PC&P's Silencer series PSU's right?
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:37:39 PM

claysm said:
This build does not need 600 watts, end of story. Unless you intend to get another 7870 sometime soon, your original selection of the 450 watt FSP was fine. You can take comfort in the fact that FSP is one of the most preeminent OEM's of power supplies in the world. You could go all the way to a GTX 680 and still only need a 450 watt PSU.

You do know that FSP manufactures some of PC&P's Silencer series PSU's right?

Well now I'm all sorts of confused, lol.

Would it be more logical to just get something like this since I may upgrade to crossfire in the future, and it's 20 bucks cheaper than the 450W psu, or is my thinking off? I also have to assume that the FSP is of pretty high quality just based on the price for a 450W compared to the SeaSonic below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:38:26 PM

i originally was gona get this

cuz of the led fans and the fact u can have up to 7 fans and it has cable managment and its a good price, but the downside is its to "boxy" but for ur card i dont see why it would'nt fit in the case u want. I look at it as for cases are the hardest to choose cuz that is what u and everyone sees lol
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:41:07 PM

whatRU said:

Would it be more logical to just get something like this since I may upgrade to crossfire in the future, and it's 20 bucks cheaper than the 450W psu, or is my thinking off?

Seasonic and corsair are the two best from what ive had people tell me
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:41:44 PM

whatRU said:

Would it be more logical to just get something like this since I may upgrade to crossfire in the future, and it's 20 bucks cheaper than the 450W psu, or is my thinking off?

Yes, if you intend to get a second card, then that SeaSonic would be a good choice. Just note that it only has one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin auxiliary connector, so you'll need some aux-PICe adapters to power a second 7870.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:46:16 PM

Technoob420 said:
Seasonic and corsair are the two best from what ive had people tell me

That's mostly because about half of Corsair's PSU's come from Seasonic :p . The rest actually come from a company called Channel Well, which makes really good PSU's for Corsair, Antec, In Win, Chieftech, Thermaltake, and a number of other smaller brands.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:47:25 PM

i would look into a psu that is sli or xfire ready, u might spend just a tad xtra but probly well worth it in the long run
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:48:26 PM

claysm said:
Yes, if you intend to get a second card, then that SeaSonic would be a good choice. Just note that it only has one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin auxiliary connector, so you'll need some aux-PICe adapters to power a second 7870.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go with the SeaSonic and give myself some room to grow as my finances do. Still flip flopping on what I want to do about a case. Is wire management an amazing feature worth seeking, or will zip-ties make up for the difference? Bear in mind this is my first build, so I have no experience with a stuffy box. :D 
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:49:09 PM

i think wire managment cases are what make it worth it honestly, when i open my case to show off the board and *** to friends i dont want to see a clutters mess of wires lol just like i wouldnt like the look of cloths and trash all over my house floor in the same situation lol
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:55:20 PM

Technoob420 said:
i think wire managment cases are what make it worth it honestly, when i open my case to show off the board and *** to friends i dont want to see a clutters mess of wires lol just like i wouldnt like the look of cloths and trash all over my house floor in the same situation lol

Agreed. It may not sound like much, but a case with good cable management is a dream to build in. I think the NZXT Phantom 410 was recommended somewhere earlier, and that's what I'd recommend. And actually it recently won the Tom's 15 gaming cases rounded up showdown.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:57:21 PM

one way u can cut some money is even if u oc ur 3570k i think that h100 is overkill u could go with the coolmaster evo1212 for now and then later on upgrade to like the h80, and with the 2 drives u could possible just get the 500 and later get a 180g ssd for os/boot and a few programs, that way you would have more money to put into a good psu which is a necessary for future upgrades or a good size wire managment case that you are satisfied with
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:59:56 PM

claysm said:
Agreed. It may not sound like much, but a case with good cable management is a dream to build in. I think the NZXT Phantom 410 was recommended somewhere earlier, and that's what I'd recommend. And actually it recently won the Tom's 15 gaming cases rounded up showdown.

yea i just found out about nzxt yesterday lol i was going to get a rosewill but was linked a phantom and was like OH SNAP then saw the 410 and was like IM IN LOVE lol

m
l
August 30, 2012 10:01:46 PM

@Technoob420 I agree, in the time that this thread has run it's course I've decided to switch from the H100 to a Hyper 212 Evo.. based on mikerockett's suggestion.. so I've saved a little bit there. Maybe I should throw that towards the Phantom. Speaking of which..

@claysm I love that case, and I think that was one of the first mentioned in this thread. I just saw it as a bit too expensive for my tastes at the time.. but with all this talk of cord management and award winning, not to mention 2 separate recommendations in this thread alone... I'm starting to reconsider my original position on it. Worth the extra $40, in your opinion?
m
l
August 30, 2012 10:15:35 PM

claysm said:

LOL THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!! i just read that backwards
m
l
August 30, 2012 10:17:14 PM

Well I'm going to go with the NZXT Phantom 410 Black and Orange colorway, since it's $20 off right now on newegg and you get a $10 rebate as well. All in all that's only $30 more than the case I was originally looking at and it seems to be much higher quality. Thanks for the advice guys, you've been helping immensely
m
l
August 30, 2012 10:22:20 PM

np and good luck, one thing i plan on doing is since it has extra 5.25 drives im gona buy a lcd 5 fan control and put it in the extra one
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 10:40:49 AM

whatRU said:
@Technoob420 I agree, in the time that this thread has run it's course I've decided to switch from the H100 to a Hyper 212 Evo.. based on mikerockett's suggestion.. so I've saved a little bit there. Maybe I should throw that towards the Phantom. Speaking of which..

A little bit late back to this thread, glad i could help out. To throw my 2 cents into cases, the phantom is a great case so good choice there.

With regards to SSD i would absolutely try to get one into this build if you can manage it, you will find it to be one of the best upgrades you've ever made.
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:40:21 PM

mikerockett said:
A little bit late back to this thread, glad i could help out. To throw my 2 cents into cases, the phantom is a great case so good choice there.

With regards to SSD i would absolutely try to get one into this build if you can manage it, you will find it to be one of the best upgrades you've ever made.

I am really intrigued by the SSD, I won't lie.. but I'm curious how much it really speeds up boots and loading screens. Do you have a specific brand or model you could point out that you know is reliable? I've heard there are a lot of problems with some of them out on the market right now... but of course that could just be people afraid of change speaking as well so idk. I don't have any hands on experience with them.
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:31:48 AM

Hi, I'm currently building my first rig too and would like to give you my suggestion for a PSU which is the Aerocool Strike-X 600w. I am personally getting this for myself as it is cheap but it has alot of features that you seem to look for such as SLI/Crossfire support, 50 amps on the +12V, and it includes 2x 6+2 pin.

Granted, it is not on top like Seasonic, but I trust this brand.
Although if anyone would like to point out flaws or issues with this PSU, please do so as I would also benefit from it.
m
l
!