Sign in with
Your question

Any ideas on Haswell's release date?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 7:45:02 PM

So I'm having "slight" lag with my AMD FX 8120 and overclocking is not agreeing with me. I'm looking into buying something better and since people said I should have gotten a Sandy Bridge CPU I think a Haswell CPU would be a nice upgrade. I wanted a i5 like a 2500k or 3570k except the Haswell version. Any ideas on when this would come out and would it be worth getting?
a c 136 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 7:51:30 PM

Last news I remember reading, release date slipped from May to June - not sure if that was mobile only or mobile+desktop. If they do it like IB where desktop models followed about a month later, this means retail Haswell may hit store shelves in July.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 8:20:10 PM

Will it be worth it if I wait until July?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 8:42:56 PM

melikepie said:

I heard too that it was launching in early June.

6 months is a long time to wait and ivy/sandy-bridge i5/i7 can already handle all the high-end GPUs with ease. I assume they will for a while longer, I can't tell though, because futureproofness isn't a thing that exist, though there is some exceptions such as a great PSU and a great case.

If you feel that the FX 8120 isn't too much of a problem for you and it's sufficient for your needs, then wait. :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 8:49:51 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

6 months is a long time to wait and ivy/sandy-bridge i5/i7 can already handle all the high-end GPUs with ease. I assume they will for a while longer, I can't tell though, because futureproofness isn't a thing that exist, though there is some exceptions such as a great PSU and a great case.

If you feel that the FX 8120 isn't too much of a problem for you and it's sufficient for your needs, then wait. :) 

It's kinda slow for my needs. I should have bought the 660 ti because the only game below 60fps (half the time) is BF3.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:03:44 PM

melikepie said:
It's kinda slow for my needs. I should have bought the 660 ti because the only game below 60fps (half the time) is BF3.

If you don't think it suffice your needs, then it would only make sense upgrading now. 6 months of sluggish gameplay sounds like a living hell to me. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:10:43 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
If you don't think it suffice your needs, then it would only make sense upgrading now. 6 months of sluggish gameplay sounds like a living hell to me. ;) 

I don't have the money.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:14:31 PM

melikepie said:
I don't have the money.

That would have been a nice addition to your post. That turns the situation 180 degrees, if you're not going to have the money soon, then you could as well just wait, I guess. :??: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:15:42 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
That would have been a nice addition to your post. That turns the situation 180 degrees, if you're not going to have the money soon, then you could as well just wait, I guess. :??: 

I may be able to get the money soon, but to wait for Haswell is a different thing.
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:21:27 PM

melikepie said:

CPU performance has been almost stagnant for most of the past six years so current-gen Ivy Bridge are not going to feel particularly outdated for quite a while part from lack of new 'checkbox' features and improved power efficiency.

I use a simple metric to determine whether or not I need an upgrade: do I feel like using my current system might threaten my sanity before the "next big thing" comes along? Yes? Upgrade now. No? Wait.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:23:50 PM

melikepie said:
I may be able to get the money soon, but to wait for Haswell is a different thing.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=701

Hope this comparison can clear your mind a little wether you wanna upgrade soon or not.

The gaming performance is almost 2 times better on the i5-3570k vs the Fx 8150 (I know you got the 8120, but it wasn't possible choosing it for comparison).

m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 10:22:54 PM

^^^

Just be aware that as you increase the resolution, the difference in performance also decreases. Of course, if the monitor only supports 1024x768 or 1680x1050 resolutions, then that's a different matter.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2013 10:37:31 PM

I'm waiting for Haswell, but that's because I won't have money for it until later in September. I personally think people going to upgrade now should wait, namely due to the socket change - it's good to save cash on a new motherboard.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 12:15:58 AM

I'm waiting on Haswell or Broadwell. My Q9450 still gives me sufficient performance especially since playing games is a low priority at the moment.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 12:34:44 AM

payturr said:
I'm waiting for Haswell, but that's because I won't have money for it until later in September. I personally think people going to upgrade now should wait, namely due to the socket change - it's good to save cash on a new motherboard.

The socket change does not matter since LGA 1150 will go when Skymont comes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 12:35:00 AM

jaguarskx said:
I'm waiting on Haswell or Broadwell. My Q9450 still gives me sufficient performance especially since playing games is a low priority at the moment.

How dare you!
m
l
a c 334 à CPUs
a c 127 K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 1:36:35 AM

If you are having a problem now, fix it now.
Haswell will arrive next spring, perhaps in june.
Expect performance to be perhaps 15% better than the current sandy/ivy bridge cpu's at about the same price.
If the current sandy/ivy cpu's will do the job and fix your problem, go ahead and buy it when you have the funds.
I view the 3570K with a conservative OC as a 4 year gaming chip.
If you wait, you will wait forever since there are always better parts being launched.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 1:44:21 AM

geofelt said:
Expect performance to be perhaps 15% better than the current sandy/ivy bridge cpu's at about the same price.
If the current sandy/ivy cpu's will do the job and fix your problem, go ahead and buy it when you have the funds.
If you wait, you will wait forever since there are always better parts being launched.

I agree with InvalidError. I may be able to get enough about 3 months before Haswell to buy Ivy Bridge. The thing is that I would be going 3, yes 3 months without solid gameplay! It's just a hard choice. Neither do I want 3 months to pass and see Haswell can overclock great or something and be sad about not waiting.
m
l
March 16, 2013 11:48:32 AM

melikepie said:
geofelt said:

I agree with InvalidError. I may be able to get enough about 3 months before Haswell to buy Ivy Bridge. The thing is that I would be going 3, yes 3 months without solid gameplay! It's just a hard choice. Neither do I want 3 months to pass and see Haswell can overclock great or something and be sad about not waiting.

You can also buy chip now and if it get slow change mobo and CPU. i5 3570 can handle anything out now and for next year, and, and...
m
l
March 22, 2013 7:12:45 AM

melikepie said:
lostgamer_03 said:

m
l
April 1, 2013 12:03:12 AM

I'm hoping it roughly coincides with the release of the new graphics cards 8000 and 700 series because those are the 2 biggest upgrade needs I have at the moment.
m
l
April 1, 2013 12:28:16 AM

Apparently Summer 2013 but it could be pushed back like the Ivy Bridge-E.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2013 11:29:11 PM

I don't get why Ivy Bridge-E is taking so long. There isn't much they have to do. Anyway who wants to pay a ton of money for a last gen CPU? My point is that it's going to be soon that Haswell gets released. Ivy Bridge-E isn't gonna be a huge seller.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2013 9:53:56 AM

lazykoala said:
I'm hoping it roughly coincides with the release of the new graphics cards 8000 and 700 series because those are the 2 biggest upgrade needs I have at the moment.

I believe the HD 8000 series is supposed to be released sometime during the summer. As for the GTX 700 series? That's probably late Q3 / early Q4.
m
l
April 2, 2013 3:10:51 PM

I've been waiting on Haswell for quite long. I had the money in 2012, when Ivy Bridge came out. But I was nervous about it, so I spent half of the money I had on a phone and some clothes.
I'll be buying Haswell in July. Till then, I play games on MY DAD'S PC! : Athlon II x2 215 @ 2.7GHz, 5450HD! 3GB of RAM!
It does let me play games, and frankly, the Dual Core was always sufficient! I don't really know what you're talking about.
My problem was always the GPU, it's the lowest in 5k series!

My advice to you, is to wait for Haswell!
Gather money, and when it comes out! Don't wait for anything, just buy it!
Till then! Lower resolution of your games! And some settings!
I had to play BF3 on 640x480 @ LOW!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2013 8:29:39 PM

So you played it with xbox graphics settings? Wow that's bad.
m
l
April 5, 2013 11:03:09 PM

I think the lag might not be caused by the processor, because the 8120 should be sufficient to play BF3.
Which GPU do you use in your system? Also make sure you have at least 8GB of RAM and an SSD would usually help increasing overall performance of your system as well.

There is a little trick to increase the FX's gaming (single thread) performance, which some motherboards support.
On my Asrock 990FX extreme3 I could disable 1 core per unit, which makes the FX a quad core. It gave me a lot more performance when playing games while streaming them.
Unfortunately my friend's cheaper Asus motherboard's BIOS didn't have that feature.

You should give it a try!
m
l
April 6, 2013 1:23:10 AM

maerchenprinz said:
I think the lag might not be caused by the processor, because the 8120 should be sufficient to play BF3.
Which GPU do you use in your system? Also make sure you have at least 8GB of RAM and an SSD would usually help increasing overall performance of your system as well.

There is a little trick to increase the FX's gaming (single thread) performance, which some motherboards support.
On my Asrock 990FX extreme3 I could disable 1 core per unit, which makes the FX a quad core. It gave me a lot more performance when playing games while streaming them.
Unfortunately my friend's cheaper Asus motherboard's BIOS didn't have that feature.

You should give it a try!

Having a SSD doesnt incraise a single FPS. It lowers loading times.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 7:31:07 AM

SSD's can help solidify FPS decreasing that all known stutter you can see from loading off of old mechanical platter drives.

Either way, I figured I'm going to toss my two cents in here to help others who read this bypass the confusion that could be onset from reading.

A GPU/Video card will make the biggest performance difference in gaming. However, even if you have the most high end GPU on the market; if you have a processor that lacks the ability to control the GPU and the games at hand; you're going to have what is called a bottleneck. This will cause lowered FPS and poor gameplay even on a high end chip. The FX8120 that the OP has is one of these chips that just can't run the high end cards with high end games and keep from bottlenecking. So it may be in his interest to even upgrade to a more potent processor if possible if he has a decent GPU.

Basically, an i3 processor at say 2.8Ghz with a GTX680 probably won't perform as well as an i7 at 4Ghz with a GTX670. Simply because of the power output of the i7 is going to handle the GPU so much better and still have the power to run any game out there. It's a simple comparison; but I think it gets the point out there.

Honestly as for an answer, if I was stuck with the FX8120 right now I would plan on building a completely new machine. If I was only going to game, I'd probably simply get an i5-3570k, z77 motherboard, 16gb of ram, and a nice GPU like the 670 or 7950. Waiting for new tech will always leave you in suspense and wanting new gear. It's one of the worst things about technology as it progresses. From what I've seen so far on the Haswell side; it's not going to be the next big bang as the technology has been at a slow incline for the last few years. Even the Sandy Bridge processors like my 2600k are more than enough for any challenge today.

So buying into new hardware may be a good idea if you're sitting on the FX8120; but if you're on say an ivy bridge i5, you really don't need to go anywhere.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2013 9:48:39 AM

melikepie said:

BF3's XBOX 360 Version Runs in 1280x720 Low-Medium Settings @30fps
m
l
April 9, 2013 10:14:30 AM

steddora said:
SSD's can help solidify FPS decreasing that all known stutter you can see from loading off of old mechanical platter drives.

Either way, I figured I'm going to toss my two cents in here to help others who read this bypass the confusion that could be onset from reading.

A GPU/Video card will make the biggest performance difference in gaming. However, even if you have the most high end GPU on the market; if you have a processor that lacks the ability to control the GPU and the games at hand; you're going to have what is called a bottleneck. This will cause lowered FPS and poor gameplay even on a high end chip. The FX8120 that the OP has is one of these chips that just can't run the high end cards with high end games and keep from bottlenecking. So it may be in his interest to even upgrade to a more potent processor if possible if he has a decent GPU.

Basically, an i3 processor at say 2.8Ghz with a GTX680 probably won't perform as well as an i7 at 4Ghz with a GTX670. Simply because of the power output of the i7 is going to handle the GPU so much better and still have the power to run any game out there. It's a simple comparison; but I think it gets the point out there.

Honestly as for an answer, if I was stuck with the FX8120 right now I would plan on building a completely new machine. If I was only going to game, I'd probably simply get an i5-3570k, z77 motherboard, 16gb of ram, and a nice GPU like the 670 or 7950. Waiting for new tech will always leave you in suspense and wanting new gear. It's one of the worst things about technology as it progresses. From what I've seen so far on the Haswell side; it's not going to be the next big bang as the technology has been at a slow incline for the last few years. Even the Sandy Bridge processors like my 2600k are more than enough for any challenge today.

So buying into new hardware may be a good idea if you're sitting on the FX8120; but if you're on say an ivy bridge i5, you really don't need to go anywhere.

It helps raising FPS only when you run out of ran or vram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2013 6:35:05 PM

johnvonmacz said:
melikepie said:

BF3's XBOX 360 Version Runs in 1280x720 Low-Medium Settings @30fps

From what I've seen xbox's settings are lower then low! I was just trying to not to rub it in xbox playing kid's faces lol. After playing on the PC version for how many months, looking at the xbox version made me wonder why people still call it BF3. For example, all trees expect if your looking at them, and they're close to you, are literally flat images facing towards you. And most things are very "bricky" if you actually take a second to look at them. The console versions are so bad, I can't believe why people who play them deny the PC's superiority. I doubt the next gen consoles are going to be any better then the performance of a sandy bridge pentium and a 7750. I don't think the PS4's GPU is going to actually work out for them, because it seems as if they swapped all the CPU power for OpenCL based programs. Which happens to be a huge mistake, taking that there has to be a main thread which you can't really put on a single slow PD core.
m
l
April 9, 2013 10:29:07 PM

Anyone seen the Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2? better performance than i5 3570k with light overclock! its the same price too! look up stats, people say it's the uncovered Gem in the intel series
m
l
April 10, 2013 1:02:10 AM

beanboom6 said:
Anyone seen the Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2? better performance than i5 3570k with light overclock! its the same price too! look up stats, people say it's the uncovered Gem in the intel series

Xeons are not so good at gaming... unlike Ivy Bridge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2013 2:52:07 AM

tadej petric said:

beanboom6 said:

Hate to put you down, but Xeons are kinda still Ivy Bridge.
m
l
April 10, 2013 3:55:19 AM

melikepie said:
tadej petric said:

beanboom6 said:

Hate to put you down, but Xeons are kinda still Ivy Bridge.

Maybe it sounded wrong. Let me correct myself.
Xeons are good at gaming but Ivy Bridge is better in most cases. (dont count in E7s)
m
l
April 22, 2013 3:51:58 AM

My friend is in a similar problem with his impending upgrade. He has an early i3 chip (dual core), a 550ti and 4gb ram and his FPS are in the dumps even when lowering settings and resolutions. My point is to clarify what Steddora was saying about bottle necking, I am running a i7 3930k, a 560ti and 16gb (a step up and not a completely fair comparison). I have had no problem with FPS dropping below 24 (even having everything on high or ultra and at 1080x1920 , single monitor). We both play the same games on the same servers but he always has FPS issues.

On another note I didn't wait for ivy-bridge to buy my 3930k, even though ivy-bridge was only a few weeks away. Although I will admit I probably should have spent more money on a better GPU. At the end of the day it all comes down to what kind of a gamer you are, could a games story alone pull you through or do you want the fancier graphics to complete the experince?
m
l
!