melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
So I'm having "slight" lag with my AMD FX 8120 and overclocking is not agreeing with me. I'm looking into buying something better and since people said I should have gotten a Sandy Bridge CPU I think a Haswell CPU would be a nice upgrade. I wanted a i5 like a 2500k or 3570k except the Haswell version. Any ideas on when this would come out and would it be worth getting?

I heard too that it was launching in early June.

6 months is a long time to wait and ivy/sandy-bridge i5/i7 can already handle all the high-end GPUs with ease. I assume they will for a while longer, I can't tell though, because futureproofness isn't a thing that exist, though there is some exceptions such as a great PSU and a great case.

If you feel that the FX 8120 isn't too much of a problem for you and it's sufficient for your needs, then wait. :)

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

It's kinda slow for my needs. I should have bought the 660 ti because the only game below 60fps (half the time) is BF3.

If you don't think it suffice your needs, then it would only make sense upgrading now. 6 months of sluggish gameplay sounds like a living hell to me. ;)

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I may be able to get the money soon, but to wait for Haswell is a different thing.

InvalidError

Titan

CPU performance has been almost stagnant for most of the past six years so current-gen Ivy Bridge are not going to feel particularly outdated for quite a while part from lack of new 'checkbox' features and improved power efficiency.

I use a simple metric to determine whether or not I need an upgrade: do I feel like using my current system might threaten my sanity before the "next big thing" comes along? Yes? Upgrade now. No? Wait.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I'm waiting for Haswell, but that's because I won't have money for it until later in September. I personally think people going to upgrade now should wait, namely due to the socket change - it's good to save cash on a new motherboard.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

The socket change does not matter since LGA 1150 will go when Skymont comes.

If you are having a problem now, fix it now.
Haswell will arrive next spring, perhaps in june.
Expect performance to be perhaps 15% better than the current sandy/ivy bridge cpu's at about the same price.
If the current sandy/ivy cpu's will do the job and fix your problem, go ahead and buy it when you have the funds.
I view the 3570K with a conservative OC as a 4 year gaming chip.
If you wait, you will wait forever since there are always better parts being launched.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I agree with InvalidError. I may be able to get enough about 3 months before Haswell to buy Ivy Bridge. The thing is that I would be going 3, yes 3 months without solid gameplay! It's just a hard choice. Neither do I want 3 months to pass and see Haswell can overclock great or something and be sad about not waiting.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

You can also buy chip now and if it get slow change mobo and CPU. i5 3570 can handle anything out now and for next year, and, and...

Ibower12

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I don't get why Ivy Bridge-E is taking so long. There isn't much they have to do. Anyway who wants to pay a ton of money for a last gen CPU? My point is that it's going to be soon that Haswell gets released. Ivy Bridge-E isn't gonna be a huge seller.

I believe the HD 8000 series is supposed to be released sometime during the summer. As for the GTX 700 series? That's probably late Q3 / early Q4.