Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading compatibility

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2012 3:53:45 PM

Hello, I'm new to forum posting but I've used them a lot for answering other questions.
Here is the background info. current build is ASUS P6T Deluxe with 2 9800GTX+ in SLI. Sadly my pc is on loan to my brother otherwise I would post pictures of the actual build.
Stock P6T photo. http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/vXixf82co6...

I plan to place my PC into an oil tank I built, all hardware is old enough that warranties are expired anyway. in doing this I am looking for ways to clean up the mounting of other odds and ends like my SSD OS drive, and I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It would allow my OS SSD to mount and power off a PCIe 2.0 slot but reading the reviews has me wondering about the slots on my board. are the only PCIe 2.0 slots the big ones that my graphics cards plug into? if so how would I go about getting at the third slot? it currently gets covered by the heatsink of the second Graphics card. and my supplied SLI cable doesnt allow me to move the second SLI card to the lower (Black) slot.

essential question 1: Would I be able to even get SATA 3 speeds from the card without sacrificing SLI Graphics performance on the P6T motherboard? If I can't get a SATA 3 PCIe 2.0 to perform with SLI on this board, then the rest of the questions are moot.

also the ASUS website specs on this board state 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 mode)

Question 2: if the performance is possible, how do I go about moving and reorganizing the board to fit within the normal ATX dimensions? PCIe extension cables? longer SLI jumper? liquid cooling block for Graphics?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2012 6:15:00 PM

The motherboard you list has a PCI-Ex4 slot just above the top PCI-Ex16 slot. You should be able to use that for the SSD via adapter card, assuming the SSD and the adapter board only takes up a single expansion card slot.

-Wolf sends
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:52:13 PM

Wolfshadw said:
The motherboard you list has a PCI-Ex4 slot just above the top PCI-Ex16 slot. You should be able to use that for the SSD via adapter card, assuming the SSD and the adapter board only takes up a single expansion card slot.

-Wolf sends

But is there a difference between PCI-E and PCI-E2.0? I read a couple notes on that card that state you wont get SATA III performance unless it is PCI-E2.0 slot, is this correct?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 11:41:22 PM

The difference between PCI-E 1.x and PCI-E 2.x is data throughput. The PCI-E 2.x is double PCI-E 1.x (500 MB/s vs 250 MB/s). A PCI-E 1.x slot is going to provide a throughput of 2Gb/s (note the little "b"). A PCI-E 2.x slot will double that (4Gb/s). A SATA III connection has a throughput of 6Gb/s, so even a PCI-E 2.x slot will not give you the performance SATA III would. PCI-E 3.0 should provide enough throughput however.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!