New build turns on for a second then off again repeatedly

karlosmontoyas

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi guys,

Just did my first build and i'm already having problems... i have connected everything onto the mobo (disk drive, ssd, gpu) and all power connectors, but when i try turning the computer on to boot windows, it turns on for about a second, then cuts the power. then repeats this cycle until i turn it off at the psu... at first i thought it was the psu, but am starting to think it may be the mobo. any ideas on what is happening? thanks in advance :)

Karl

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

dingo07

Distinguished
i suggest taking the motherboard out of the computer and test it on the bench with only the memory in and video connected - no drives or video card - and see i youcan get into the BIOS

then let us know if it works

karlosmontoyas

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
i'll try these ideas when i get home from work guys, thanks. a mate at work suggested that the cpu heatsink may have something to do with it? i may just re-insert the chip again and make sure everything is alright.. will keep you posted :)

karlosmontoyas

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
right, took out the mobo from the case to make sure it wasnt shorting, and i got the same problem. next i cleared the cmos, and it is still doing the same thing. checked the psu to make sure that isnt the problem, and it is running fine. which basically just leaves either the mobo or ram that is buggered. all items in my build are new though so nothing should be at fault. any other ideas before i take it back to the supplier? (which is 100km's away for me)

karlosmontoyas

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
tried EVERYTHING on that list and nothing has changed. im putting it down to DOA... will have to return the board on monday i guess :( been saving for this build for weeks as well, never owned a tower pc before...