Final advice on a $800 build

Ajanth

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
hi, this is my first build and through the power of the internet I have chosen parts and I'm just worried if they are all compatible with each other. And if I need a CPU cooler? Also, is there a big difference between 3450 and 3550 that I should get a 3550 instead?Thank you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4DG

Approximate Purchase Date: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: 750-850 After Rebates; Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Hd videos(watching,editing,burning) Folding@Home, surfing the internet
Are you buying a monitor: Yes 23-25" 1920x1080

Do you need to buy OS: Not sure, cant i just use a cracked version of win 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca, ncix.com, tigerdirect.ca

Parts Preferences: by brand or type I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU and 1 Dvd writer and 1 Dvd reader

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080,

Additional Comments:I would like a fast PC. I'd be using photoshop, play crysis 1&2, Bf3, dota 2.

Solution

1. OK that's fine.

2. 600W is fine as long as you don't plan to add a second video card.

3. No - the speed differences between the CPUs are so minor that overall you won't notice them. If you get anything above the 3450 it's the 3570K or bust.

g-unit1111

Titan

OP said they weren't going to overclock so that's not needed.

Although I don't get the use of two DVD drives - you really only need one anymore unless the second one is a BD-R burner. Maybe drop one of them and use the difference to upgrade your PSU to a Corsair TX650.

Ajanth

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I was getting two dvd drives to copy dvds and cds using nero and do i really need to upgrade to 650W or is 600W fine? Is there anything else that I should change in my build or is it good enough? And is it worth it to get 3550 rather than 3450?

g-unit1111

Titan

1. OK that's fine.

2. 600W is fine as long as you don't plan to add a second video card.

3. No - the speed differences between the CPUs are so minor that overall you won't notice them. If you get anything above the 3450 it's the 3570K or bust.

Solution
G

For the CPU cooler part, if you aren't overclocking you really don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Although, personally, I always get one. The stock cooler is bad and the lower the temps the longer your CPU will last. You can look at the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO or the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus. Both are under $35 on newegg. Might still have a $5 rebate as well.

Also right now on the US newegg site the 3550 has a $15 coupon, bringing it to the same price as the 3450. So no reason to not get it, if you can in Canada, not sure how all that works exactly. If not then don't worry about it.