Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card Advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2012 2:52:55 AM

Hello,
I have Thinkcentrre A51 8122 KQG that I would like to upgrade Graphics but I'm having some trouble figuring out if powersupply will support a video card. I know it's got a PCI-E slot in it, and the power supply output is 310 watts.

which graphics card will be suitable for my motherboard???? i have listed below........

my pc configuration is

IBM ThinkCentre A51 (8122-KQG)
Intel P-IV 3.06 GHz with EM64T
533 MHz FSB / 1 MB L2 Cache
Intel 915GV Chipset with Intel GMA 900
128 MB Shared Graphics VRAM
2.25GB DDR2 RAM @ 533 MHz
80 GB 7200 RPM HDD
DVD-RW Drive
20" HP LCD Monitor
IBM MM Speakers
Optical Scroll Mouse
56K Internal Modem

plzz help me to find any suitable low end graphics card for my motherboard.........

Forsa NVIDIA GeForce GF210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Asus NVIDIA GeForce EN210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card

PowerColor AMD/ATI Radeon HD5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
HIS AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card

More about : graphics card advice

a c 99 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 3:23:51 AM

Zotac Nvidia. Since it's a 2.0 card, it will work in your PCI-E slot.

The 5450 is a 2.1 card, and it may have a chance of not working on a PCI-E 1.x slot.

When did you get your computer?
m
l
July 12, 2012 6:37:59 AM

I have bought my pc in 2005 and intel motherboard specification it shows PCIe x16 slot so PowerColor AMD/ATI Radeon HD5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card can works on my motherboard or not???? I want to buy ATI Radeon HD5450 bcoz its support shader 5.0 and power consumption is also low. plzz help me bro its suitable for me or not????
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 7:44:29 AM

I think it may work because in 2005 your board may have a 1.1 slot. And a 2.1 card will most likely work. If it doesn't you can always return the card. Post back and tell the result, I am pretty sure other members have this setup and tell you it works.
m
l
July 14, 2012 7:29:35 AM

fantastik250 said:
I think it may work because in 2005 your board may have a 1.1 slot. And a 2.1 card will most likely work. If it doesn't you can always return the card. Post back and tell the result, I am pretty sure other members have this setup and tell you it works.

my friend says If your PSU is 7 years old I wouldn't even think about running that PSU anyways, PSU Efficiency, especially on low power low end units can degrade over time, and 7 years old is very old.

so even if the PSU could handle the cards based solely on Specs, it would be playing with fire, literally if you ran one, very good chance it could burn out the PSU, and possibly damage the entire PC.

plzz clear my confusion if I add any of these card in my motherboard then my pc is damaged!!!! plzz help me bro.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:37:25 AM

ajit85dsd said:
my friend says If your PSU is 7 years old I wouldn't even think about running that PSU anyways, PSU Efficiency, especially on low power low end units can degrade over time, and 7 years old is very old.

so even if the PSU could handle the cards based solely on Specs, it would be playing with fire, literally if you ran one, very good chance it could burn out the PSU, and possibly damage the entire PC.

plzz clear my confusion if I add any of these card in my motherboard then my pc is damaged!!!! plzz help me bro.....

If i were you i would definitely change that PSU weather am changing the graphics card or not, am sure a 7 years old PSU won't have OVP / OCP / OPP / SCP protection functions.....
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:50:44 AM

If you want to game on that computer then you should change the graphics card to something more powerful.

Then again, if you want to game on that machine, then you are going to want to get a whole new machine.

That PSU is pretty old as well.
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:14:58 AM

fantastik250 said:

I have checked my motherboard specification it shows PCI-E v1.0a compliant slot,will the newer 2.0 and 2.1 cards work in this slot? or I should put only PCI-E v1.0a compatible graphics card???
m
l
July 15, 2012 6:15:50 AM

If you get a decent 3D card, I am afraid your processor will bottleneck your 3D card !! go for a decent processor first and if it is not possible, then go for Nvidia geforce GT220 1GB DDR3 !! If u want anything beyond this card, u will probably waste your money cuz of your processor !!
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 6:03:10 PM

ajit85dsd said:
I have checked my motherboard specification it shows PCI-E v1.0a compliant slot,will the newer 2.0 and 2.1 cards work in this slot? or I should put only PCI-E v1.0a compatible graphics card???

Yes it will, the cards you listed will work fine. They will not suffer any performance loss. If you get a mid-range card such as the 7850, 6850 and such, and put those on a 1.0 slot the performance will suffer. There is a possibility that a 2.1 card will not work in a 1.0 slot. The watts your PSU has is fine, but your friend does have a point regarding the PSU, it is quite old.
m
l
!