Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer doesn't power on when HD 7970 is plugged in

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2012 4:35:31 AM

My PC doesn't power on when I have my HD 7970 plugged in. When I unplug it, it powers on just fine. The power supply is rated at 530w and is Xfire & SLI ready. I don't know the PSU isn't up to snuff of the vid card is DOA (We all know how UPS handles packages with care). My old HD 5770 works fine also.

Any thoughts?
July 12, 2012 4:38:33 AM

what are the 12V rails rated for? what are all of your system specs?
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 4:47:58 AM

there is a tiny chance that the psu cannot handle the power requirement of the 7970 in question. labled wattage =/= correct wattage. that peak, and psus should never constantly hit peak(it also adds in the barely used 5 and 3v rails)
m
0
l
Related resources
July 12, 2012 4:59:50 AM

PSU is a Raidmax RX-530SS

DC output ---------------|+3.3v |+5v|+12v1|+12v2 |+5vsb
Max output current--------|28A | 34A | 20A | 17A | 0.8A | 2.5A
Max Combined power-------|-----------514W------|-----16w
Total Power--------------| 530w

Both power plugs is on one PCIe rail that is labeled PCI-E

System
core i5 3.2Ghz
4GB ram
Win7 64bit
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 12, 2012 5:14:18 AM

Rahmia said:
PSU is a Raidmax RX-530SS

m
0
l
July 12, 2012 5:54:45 AM

nna2 said:
what are the 12V rails rated for? what are all of your system specs?


Ok, I thought about what you said, so I went back and plugged in two more Modular Cables in the power supply and used the Y adapter that came with card. Now I'm using the PCI connector and two other connectors (one for each end of the Y adapter).

Fired it up and now playing BF3 at full blast. It doesn't look pretty with all of the extra cables, but its getting the job done. I'll look around for a more powerful PSU tomorrow. At least I know now the new card is fine and the ram and monitor that I ordered should be here in a few more days.

Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 10:36:01 AM

Rahmia said:
PSU is a Raidmax RX-530SS

DC output ---------------|+3.3v |+5v|+12v1|+12v2 |+5vsb
Max output current--------|28A | 34A | 20A | 17A | 0.8A | 2.5A
Max Combined power-------|-----------514W------|-----16w
Total Power--------------| 530w

Both power plugs is on one PCIe rail that is labeled PCI-E

System
core i5 3.2Ghz
4GB ram
Win7 64bit



i would drop the supply, raidmax isn't a company that should be trusted...

i had a psu from another company (coolmax) and i little did i know i was running it out of specification... just to have it die 2 hrs later... lol, it didn't do any real damage, but my hardrive has 100 uncorrectable sector error's, waiting for it to die before i RMA it
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:39:59 AM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the 7970's power requirement about 550W?
And judging by the fact that you seem to have an unreliable power supply that's rated at 530W (and likely to run at less than that due to unreliability), that may be where your problem lies..
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:42:01 AM

-Jackson said:
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the 7970's power requirement about 550W?
And judging by the fact that you seem to have an unreliable power supply that's rated at 530W (and likely to run at less than that due to unreliability), that may be where your problem lies..


i was running a HD 6870 on an unreliable 465W psu, and the 6870 calls for 500W if i recall correctly
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:44:40 AM

nna2 said:
i was running a HD 6870 on an unreliable 465W psu, and the 6870 calls for 500W if i recall correctly

Yeah 6870 does require 500W..
Not sure, but I don't see where else the problem could be *shrugs*
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:51:05 AM

i would personally go for a new psu, if that dosent help it, i would RMA it, hopefully OP got a warranty, or returns it within what ever grace period they have
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:54:11 AM

Because from the way I see it, the PSU doesn't seem to able to supply enough power for BOTH the 7970 and the rest of his system, whilst it seems to be able to supply power for his system WITHOUT the 7970, and even if the 7970 was DOA, his system would still boot up, there just wouldn't be anything showing up on his screen though.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 11:58:19 AM

that wasn't the case with my HD 6770 when i started playing with the bios, it was if i buggered it up, i got no boot at all, just a black screen
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 1:31:06 PM

Not even a beep?
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 1:37:40 PM

nope, so it is possible that a card could be blocking his boot, linus tech tips also made mention of this on youtube, he had a GTX 260 which died on him and was preventing him from booting whatever it was
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:23:27 AM

How I was able to solve it was that instead of using a single rail for the video card, I distributed it across 3 rails using the Y adapter. But a day later, I ended up buying a more powerful 800w PSU because I didn't want to risk overloading it for an extended amount time.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 19, 2012 2:54:04 AM

Rahmia said:
How I was able to solve it was that instead of using a single rail for the video card, I distributed it across 3 rails using the Y adapter. But a day later, I ended up buying a more powerful 800w PSU because I didn't want to risk overloading it for an extended amount time.


good to hear it's working, is it from a reputable brand? (like, not raidmax, coolmax, and whatnot :p )
Share
July 19, 2012 3:05:40 AM

Best answer selected by Rahmia.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 3:07:13 AM

nna2 said:
good to hear it's working, is it from a reputable brand? (like, not raidmax, coolmax, and whatnot :p )


Corsair GS800
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 3:07:57 AM

nice, have fun with your new parts
m
0
l
!