Some questions about my building

ascii900

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I need help with my computer building project, and here I go:

1 - AMD FX-8150 question: I was looking to a video in YouTube of the AMD FX-8150 Unboxing ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwTXoswO0bI&feature=related ) and I saw that the box he had, comes with the processor (obviously), a belt buckle of that processor (Becouse AMD is a Houston, Texas based company), and an Asus Crosshair V Formula and I'm going to buy the same processor but I don't know if it comes with that motherboard, every FX-8150 comes with that motherboard?

2 - Power supply question: I'm going to build a gaming pc but IDK much about psu, so idk what psu to use. Here are my build specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Black Edition.
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula (if it comes with the FX) or Gygabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (if it doesn't).
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) @1866Mhz.
HDD: WDC W10EARX 1TB Sata III @7200RPM.
DVD Reader/Recorder: Samsung 22x sata twin layer.
GPU: xFx Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3.
Screen: Emachines 18.5w E180HV
PSU: ??? probably 800w?
Cooler: ??? Please not watercooling suggestions.
Case: Sentey Black Box w/ all 4 fans

and
3 - Windows 7 64 bits: I have no idea what's the matter if putting 32 or 64 bits, but I've been searching and what I understood was than 32 bits don't support more than 3gb RAM. Is that true?

Thanks and sorry for bad English, any building suggestions please?

Solution
Unfortunately, I can't view the website due to the filters at my work place (I'm on break), and I'll be able to give you a more accurate list in 5 hours after I get home.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g6nb

My recommendations:
CPU: i5-3570k
Motherboard: AsRock z77 Extreme 4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
RAM: Gskill Ares 2x4 GB 1600 mhz or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600 mhz
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX670
Case: Sentey GS-6000 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec BP550W
Optical Drive: Any cheap DVD burner
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor

~$1300 before rebates in the U.S.

This doesn't account for Venezuelan parts availability and prices, which may switch around a...

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
The Crosshair V Formula cost more than the CPU itself, so you probably won't get the motherboard for free with the CPU.

Roughly looking over your build, you spend too much on the CPU and not enough on the GPU. If you want a gaming machine, a 6570 won't cut it.

Fill this out, and we'll come up with something that'll give you a better bang for you buck gaming machine:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

I hope your not planning on gaming with that graphics card, it's VERY low end.

You do not want a DDR3 card either, you want a DDR5 card.

I have no idea what would make you think a $230 motherboard comes with a FREE $190 cpu........LOOL

The psu you choose depends on the graphics card you choose. For the setup you listed a 400w psu would be fine.

Seriously I would recommend getting a new monitor, I mean what's the point of a gaming machine with a 18.5" monitor.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Fill this out this link, and we'll be able to answer your questions better:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

The kind of GPU you need depends mostly on your budget. It can range from a Radeon 7750 at a minimum for around $100 to a Nvidia 670 for around $400. You can also check out TomsHardware Best gaming GPU for the money guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Right now, Intel offers a better gaming CPU for the $180 price range.

ascii900

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

If u take a look to the Youtube link I posted u'll understand why is my confussion.
What gpu do u recommend? And I'm not really sure about a 400w psu could support all that, but that's why I'm asking xD

ascii900

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Approximate purchase date: when I get the money (about 2 months)

Budget range: 1000 - 1300 US$

System Usage: Gaming.

Are you buying a monitor?: Yes

Parts to upgrade: all except hdd (1tb wdc @7200rpm)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website (s) for parts: www.mercadolibre.com.ve

Parts preference: AMD CPU; Corsair RAM; Asus, AsRock or Gygabyte Mobo

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Res.: I would like 1920x1080

Comments: games to play: The Sims 3, NFS: Shift 1 & 2, Juiced 2, COD: MW1, 2 & 3 TDU 1 & 2. All on max settings or at least High.

Why are you upgrading: Becouse in this computer I can't do anything (U can check my pc at my profile)

Parts that I have already selected:
HDD Western Digital Caviar WD10EARX @7200 RPM
Mobo Asrock 990FX Extreme3
AMD FX-8150 Eight Core Black Edition
Case Sentey Black Box with 4 coolers
RAM Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-15000 (1866Mhz), probably 2 of this sets.

400w would easily support all that.

I don't need to look at your link, it's common sense a $230 motherboard doesn't come with a FREE $180 cpu.

Besides all you have to do is google "Asus Crosshair V Formula" and you'll clearly see it does not come with a cpu.

I'm not going to recommend a gpu because on that tiny monitor resolution any decent card (and the rest of the system) would be a complete waste of money.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Unfortunately, I can't view the website due to the filters at my work place (I'm on break), and I'll be able to give you a more accurate list in 5 hours after I get home.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g6nb

My recommendations:
CPU: i5-3570k
Motherboard: AsRock z77 Extreme 4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
RAM: Gskill Ares 2x4 GB 1600 mhz or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600 mhz
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX670
Case: Sentey GS-6000 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec BP550W
Optical Drive: Any cheap DVD burner
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor

~$1300 before rebates in the U.S.

This doesn't account for Venezuelan parts availability and prices, which may switch around a few things.

I chose the i5 over the AMD you prefer, because it is more optimal for gaming. Games don't benefit from that many extra cores in the CPU, and Intel CPUs are currently faster at the same price. I will offer an AMD alternative once I get home.

The Z77 motherboard will allow you to overclock and has all the feature anyone really needs. The CPU Cooler 212 Evo is also a great cooler for its price. However, I am not sure it will fit into the case selected. It really depends on if there is a fan in the side panel in the case you selected. If the case was 8in wide, then it will probably fit.

Right now, the GTX670 is the most optimal high end gaming card. It can play all the current games on ultra, and isn't that much slower than the 680.

The case I selected is a guess. Case selection depends on your personal preference and how much you're willing to spend relative to the other parts. The width may conflict with the CPU cooler I chose.

The ASUS 23in monitor is an excellent HD monitor. 2ms response and 1920x1080 res.

To answer the question from your first post, Windows 7 32 bit can only support up to 4 GB RAM. Win 7 64bit Home Premium can support up to 16 GB. For a gamer, 8 GB is the optimal amount in a dual channel motherboard. More than 8 GB is only more useful for people who do a lot of video/photo rendering.

I did not chose an SSD, because I felt that investing in a better GPU is more worth it. However, you can purchase one to make boot times faster. It is a nice luxury to have.

Again, these are only U.S. prices. I will be able to offer something from your website later today, and will offer an alternative AMD build as well.

Hopefully, this helps as a guide to what you want to build.

Solution

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
So, I have checked the website you provided. Unfortunately, everything in the site is 230% the prices in the U.S. which means everything is changed. Must have something to do with supply and taxes.

Anyway, it appears to me that the pre-built PC's offer the best deal. This may be due to the fact that you went to an auction based website rather than a retail sales site. You may want to reconsider the website you buy from.

This combo:
Computadora Amd 2.8 Ghz Am3+ 500gb Dd+ 4gb Ram Ddr3 Vac12 (BsF 3000)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-402194529-computadora-amd-28-ghz-am3-500gb-dd-4gb-ram-ddr3-vac12-_JM

EVGA 550ti (BsF 1800 )
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-402392318-tarjeta-de-video-gtx-550-ti-evga-1gb-gddr5-nvidia-geforce-_JM

Win 7 (BsF 300)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-402137662-windows-7-home-premium-original-_JM

You'll need a 500W power supply unit. I'm not sure what comes with the first link, and I don't see many PSUs on the website.

However, my suggestion is to save up more money. Given the prices in your country, it'll be hard to get anything good with your budget.

ascii900

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
The website is filled completely with parts, but sorry for the confussion, I putted my budget in US$ and not in BsF. Get crazy with the parts, 9000BsF as max is my budget, send me your msn and I'll help u with Spanish and then u can search for the parts.

ascii900

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
http://home.mercadolibre.com.ve/computacion/

Even I was confused with all that categories, so don't worry.

Quemadoras y discos virgenes= Burners and blank CDs
Quemadoras de DVD= DVD Burners

Memorias RAM= RAM (dah)
Para laptops= For laptops
Para PC= For PC

Monitores= Monitors
Planos LCD= LCD monitors

Software
Sistemas Operativos= OS

Mouses
Láser= Laser (that's the only that matters, the others don't)

Componentes de PC= PC components
Cases
Fan coolers
Fuentes de poder= PSU

Tarjetas Madre= Motherboards
Para Intel= For Intel
Para AMD= For AMD

Periféricos y accesorios de PC= PC peripheral and accesories
Combos de mouse y teclado= Mouse + keyboard combos
Cornetas= Speakers
Mouse Pads
Joysticks

Tarjetas de video y captura= GPUs and capture cards
Tarjetas de Video= GPUs

Discos Duros y removibles= HDDs and removable HDDs
Discos Duros= HDDs

Procesadores= CPU (I recommend u hit the category itself and not the subcategories becouse the products there are not really good listed, e.g. AMD Athlon & Sempron and u can find the FX, A series and things like that.)

And when u b watching the articles see that they say Caracas or Miranda on the right side of the article, if u already opened it check up the "Comprar" button that says Articulo Nuevo and NOT Articulo Usado, I don't like to buy used things; and down of "Artículo Nuevo" it has to say "Caracas ( any other place )" or "Miranda ( any other place )"

I only listed the thing that I'm interested, and the things that I need.

Let your imagination turns crazy, u have a limit of 9000BsF.
And thanks.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Ah, that does change a lot, because I was using the 4.3 BsF = 1 U.S. dollar exchange rate. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until late tonight for another build when I can use my personal computer. Don't worry about the Spanish, google translate does enough for me to grasp which parts I'm looking at.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
It doesn't say in the immediate chart, but the benchmarks for that 550ti is for SLI configuration. Meaning it was tested with 2 graphics cards working together. I had to click into the individual game benchmarks to see.

Normally, the second 550ti AMP version would outperform the first 550ti due to the faster clock (1000mHz vs 900 mHz).

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I'm not sure about this seller, since he is selling something for 75% cheaper than everyone else. It is also possible he only means to sell each stick at BsF 350:
Corsair Vengeance RAM 4x4GB (BsF 350)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-402147716-memoria-corsair-vengeance-4x4gb-ddr3-1600-mhz-vac12-_JM

Anyway, there is still a significant price difference between the U.S. and Venezuela and the selection is relatively limited or poorly labeled, so I had to change a lot of parts.

CPU: Intel G630 (BsF 789)
Motherboard: AsRock H61 (BsF 630)
HDD: Seagate 500GB (BsF 849)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x2Gb (BsF 350)
GPU: Zotac 560ti (BsF 849)
PSU: Corsair Builder Series 500W (BsF 880)
Case: Sentey Black Box (BsF 649)
Monitor: 19" Samsung (BsF 960)

Total: BsF 7877

Which leaves a little over BsF 1000 for Windows 7 64 bit. All the prices listed on the site seemed too high to me, but I'm not sure how prices go in Venezuela. You should see if you can purchase Win7 directly from Microsoft to save money.

List of Alternative Parts that you can swap into the build if your budget allows.

CPU: i3 2120 (Total + BsF 761)
Case: Apex Vortex3620 Atx (Total - BsF 224)

Depending on how much you spend on win 7, you may want to consider getting the cheaper case and the more expensive CPU. The i3 is definitely faster than the G620.

TRENDING THREADS