DDR - ECC Registered vs. Unbuffered?

DenaroZC

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2001
Alright, so I've been out of the computer building for a bit, as it was costly... now it's cheap and I want to get back to it. I'm building a system with an AMD 1.4Gig CPU and an ABIT KG7 mb, I don't know the difference's in RAM so I'm asking for help. There's the cheap ass RAM out there for $35/stick @ 256mb unbuffered @cl2.5 - Then there is the ECC Registered stuff that cost's $20-$30 more, what's the difference, and what would you ppls suggest. Also what's the difference b/w 2100 and 1600?
Thanks a bunch!

G

All you need for a home based system is pc2100 CL2.5 256MB unbuffered/no ecc. If you can get Corsair or Crucial brands they are better and garranteed.

Well I will do my best to explain it as I know it...

ECC , you wont need this in the enthusiasts computer. Used mainly in servers that need error correction etc.

Pc2100 is basically pc133(133 x2=266fsb) and pc1600 is pc100(100x2=200fsb). Different again for rambus but we won't go there.
CL2.5 is its clock cycle and you can get CL2 now anyway which is slightly faster.

Just released is the pc2400~ pc150 (150x2=300fsb)

Once again I think I am right with what I have said.

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts

DenaroZC

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2001
Ok.. so ECC is for Error Correction stuff? Also... with a 266Mhz FSB of the MB, will the new faster 2400 run on it with it's 300fsb? I know it's probably a lame question... but thanks for humoring me.. :)

G

Unless your an overclocker from way back!
I am not suggesting you get the pc2400, <b>seriously its much much safer with the pc2100. </b>
Its backwards compatable meaning it can be run garranteed back down from the rated speed.

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts

G

I have the Samsung, it says exactly what it says it will do no more, don't get me wrong as it is ok for non overclocking applications.
Crucial on the other hand has a good reputation as it will do better in overclocking than what it is rated for, Samsung wont.

DenaroZC

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2001
Alright... well I'm not planning on Over clocking... :) So I guess it's ok.. will it run @ CL2? and how do I go about tweaking it to get the most out of it.. I'm sure if I looked I'd find all the answers right? :p Sorry... hope my ignorance (and lazyness) doesn't bother anyone!!

G

lol, thats ok asking is better than screwing it up :smile:

I have my Samsung set in bios on turbo or fast, cas2 not a problem. Make sure the voltage for the ram is 2.5volts as any higher its unstable, some boards default at 2.6v so have a good look.

Do you really need 512MB? unless you are doing video editing etc its probably not necessary but its cheap enough I suppose!
Some boards require you to fill all dimm slots if you are using more than one stick, some others need certain dimms filled with ram. Have fun!

BTW I will message you with my bios settings for my Samsung!

TRENDING THREADS