Solved

Gaming Desktop Build

Hello everyone, first time poster here, looking for help to establish a parts list to put together my first desktop myself, Thanks ahead of time for everyone's input!

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Within this month or next, The less expensive, the quicker I can afford it.

Budget Range: $800-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I wish to play some of the following games with mods such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, DayZ, Guild Wars 2, The Fallout Series, The Sims 3, Minecraft, Etc

Are you buying a monitor: No, As my intention is to hook my tower up to my 46" flat screen TV as the monitor, at least for the time being, May buy a monitor in the future though.

Parts to Upgrade: Need to build the entire PC, But willing to upgrade parts in the future that may not be the best atm (to help get it within my budget)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I will need to purchase Windows.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would likely order parts from Newegg.ca (I live in canada)
I can also haggle down my local shops to match/ come closer to newegg's prices, and not need to pay shipping.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Parts Preferences: I believe I want to go with an Intel processor/ motherboard, as I have heard they are better.

Overclocking: Doubtful, I'm a beginner.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, I don't know much about it, but may look into it in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am Currently using my Laptop that I bought last winter at a boxing day sale. It is an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Its Specs are as Follows:
Intel Core i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53 GHz with 4.00 GB of RAM and it runs off of the crappy integrated graphics.. you can see why I need an upgrade ;)

As far as an upgrade path, I am OK with starting out with a fairly decent/inexpensive build that can get decent enough performance and then upgrading later when I have saved up some more, I am generally looking for experienced builders inputs on decent parts and specs, as there are so many it becomes a tad overwhelming to new users 0.o
Side Note: I already have a gaming Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers and TV Connection Cables, and the TV I use as a monitor, that I use with my current Laptop, So I will not require those things.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am upgrading so that I may enjoy a much broader selection of games and to play them at I much better quality than I can on my current laptop. 10 Frames a second on a lot of Games :(
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming desktop build
  1. $1k Budget Rig

It is slightly over your budget, but you will wet your pants.
  2. Best answer
    Here ya go...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Canada Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.05 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($289.49 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.65 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Total: $1002.00
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 15:02 EDT-0400)

If you can't afford it, the easiest way to make the budget is to drop the GPU down to a hd 7870 or hd 7950. However, I would strongly suggest you put the extra cash towards this build. It's well worth it.
  3. well, theres the top end, let me see wat we can do at the bottom:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX Mid Tower Case ($28.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: Antec 400W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.69 @ DirectCanada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $754.38
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 15:19 EDT-0400)

its $784.38 before the rebates.
  4. getting the 2500k over the 3570k and the z68 over the z77 makes no sense whatsoever. one example of this is the 660 ti is a pci 3.0, which the 2500k nor the z68 support.
  5. DarkOutlaw said:
    getting the 2500k over the 3570k and the z68 over the z77 makes no sense whatsoever. one example of this is the 660 ti is a pci 3.0, which the 2500k nor the z68 support.

660 Ti is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. Furthermore, it makes plenty of sense to get a z68 board and a sandy bridge chip. The sandy bridge can be overclocked farther and doesn't run into heat issues. Only reason you'd really want PCIe 3.0 is because of the potential bottleneck when you run PCI gen 3 cards in SLI or Crossfire. One single powerful card is typically the best route anyhow. This way you won't run into microstuttering and what not.
  6. ....yeah im not even going to try. There are new things out, best to get them.
  7. DeusAres said:
    660 Ti is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. Furthermore, it makes plenty of since to get a z68 board and a sandy bridge chip. The sandy bridge can be overclocked farther and doesn't run into heat issues. Only reason you'd really want PCIe 3.0 is because of the potential bottleneck when you run PCI gen 3 cards in SLI or Crossfire. This isn't necessarily the case. One single powerful card is typically the best route anyhow. This way you won't run into microstuttering and what not.

DarkOutlaw is right. Ivy Bridge will be much better for gaming. Especially the i5 3570K.
  8. Nanekud said:
    DarkOutlaw is right. Ivy Bridge will be much better for gaming. Especially the i5 3570K.

There's virtually no difference.

They perform the same; especially with a single gpu setup.
  9. Nanekud said:

Don't sweat it. I think the OP has enough info to make his decision, just leave Deus in his bubble.
  10. DarkOutlaw said:
    Don't sweat it. I think the OP has enough info to make his decision, just leave Deus in his bubble.

There's no reason to pay more money for something when you can get the same thing for $15-25 less. That extra money can be put elsewhere. Ivy bridge is Intel's "tick" this year. The 2500k will get the job done. Just go with whatever is cheaper. At the time of my post, the 2500k and z68 combination was the cheapest solution. Drop the attitude; no need for the immaturity.
  11. DeusAres said:
    There's no reason to pay more money for something when you can get the same thing for $15-25 less. That extra money can be put elsewhere. Ivy bridge is Intel's "tick" this year. The 2500k will get the job done. Just go with whatever is cheaper. At the time of my post, the 2500k and z68 combination was the cheapest solution. Drop the attitude; no need for the immaturity.

We're not being immature. We're trying to help the person who created this post. The 2500K will not perform as well as the 3570K in gaming, which is his priority for the build.
  12. You all are wrong. The i5-2500k is just as good as the 3570k and a budget isn't meant to be exceeded. I agree with Deus.
  13. Nanekud said:
    We're not being immature. We're trying to help the person who created this post. The 2500K will not perform as well as the 3570K in gaming, which is his priority for the build.

It's the same chip.

Only difference between them is ivy bridge has a minuscule increase in performance clock for clock. That 5% increase isn't worth the extra money...especially when you can overclock the 2500k farther on an air heatsink fan. And no, you're only going to cause the OP to pay more for something he doesn't need. The logical choice here would be to save what bit of money you can and put it towards more important parts such as an SSD or the GPU.

Here's a helpful video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1bet2FGKRE
  14. I HAVE seen the reviews and there is NOT a significant enough of a boost in gaming performance. The only reason the 3570k is suggested here is for PCIe 3.0 in the FUTURE.
  15. azeem40 said:
    You all are wrong. The i5-2500k is just as good as the 3570k and a budget isn't meant to be exceeded. I agree with Deus.

If you've done any research between them besides looking at benchmarks, then you would know that the 3570K will perform better for gaming. It has lower overclock speeds, but compensates elsewhere; which is the elsewhere he wants.
  16. And, if you go to Microcenter, you can get the i5 3570K WITH the Z77 motherboard for cheaper. They give you a discount on both items. I got the 3570K for $189.99 and ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $84.99.

That's a winning deal.
  17. If you haven't noticed, he lives in Canada. There are no microcenters there.
  18. azeem40 said:
    I HAVE seen the reviews and there is NOT a significant enough of a boost in gaming performance. The only reason the 3570k is suggested here is for PCIe 3.0 in the FUTURE.

That's another reason to buy it, thank you. :P
  19. Nanekud said:
    That's another reason to buy it, thank you. :P

There is a reason to buy it, but not if it puts the OP over budget.
  20. azeem40 said:
    If you haven't noticed, he lives in Canada. There are no microcenters there.

It can still fit into his budget without that awesome deal from MC. And will be better for them.
  21. Nanekud said:
    And, if you go to Microcenter, you can get the i5 3570K WITH the Z77 motherboard for cheaper. They give you a discount on both items. I got the 3570K for $189.99 and ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $84.99.

That's a winning deal.

If he lives near a microcenter and can get a deal such as that, then he should definitely go for it. Otherwise, the 3570k and z77 isn't a necessity. Rather a 2500k and a z68 board will get the job done. I'm finished with this petty debate; my point still stands.

Darkoutlaw's build didn't even include an OS. That's an extra $100 you have to configure in the budget. It was already $1100 without the OS. You total that in and it puts the final price at $1200. That's not including shipping costs depending on the vendor.

Rbd25, good luck with your decision. I suggest looking at all the options presented and just go with whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase. For gaming, get the beefiest GPU your budget will allow along with either the 2500k or the 3570k.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Once again, good luck.
  22. He can get the i5 3570K for $209.99 here at NCIX.

He can get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $114.99here at Newegg
  23. DeusAres said:

As we have stated before...your still a moron, and looks like it is somewhat contagious.

azeem40 said:
    You all are wrong. The i5-2500k is just as good as the 3570k and a budget isn't meant to be exceeded. I agree with Deus.

Performance wise yes, the Ivy Bridge is only 3% faster than the Sandy Bridge. The only thing Ivy Bridge brings to the table is PCI 3.0, which if you all pay attention he is getting a PCI 3.0 graphics card. The next CPU I buy will be an Ivy Bridge, and I will only recommend an Ivy Bridge CPU just like 99% of the people on this forum would.
  24. Nanekud said:
    He can get the i5 3570K for $209.99 here at NCIX.

He can get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $114.99here at Newegg

Prices are more expensive in Canada.

In Canada, the 3570k is $220 and the asrock z77 extreme4 is $150.
  25. DeusAres said:
    If he lives near a microcenter and can get a deal such as that, then he should definitely go for it. Otherwise, the 3570k and z77 isn't a necessity. Rather a 2500k and a z68 board will get the job done. I'm finished with this petty debate; my point still stands.

Darkoutlaw's build didn't even include an OS. That's an extra $100 you have to configure in the budget. It was already $1100 without the OS. You total that in and it puts the final price at $1200. That's not including shipping costs depending on the vendor.

Rbd25, good luck with your decision. I suggest looking at all the options presented and just go with whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase. For gaming, get the beefiest GPU your budget will allow along with either the 2500k or the 3570k.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Once again, good luck.

Yeah, you said it; this is petty. Thank you for your input, we all learn from these chats. I just hope the best for the OP. : )
  26. DarkOutlaw said:
    As we have stated before...your still a moron, and looks like it is somewhat contagious.

Performance wise yes, the Ivy Bridge is only 3% faster than the Sandy Bridge. The only thing Ivy Bridge brings to the table is PCI 3.0, which if you all pay attention he is getting a PCI 3.0 graphics card. The next CPU I buy will be an Ivy Bridge, and I will only recommend an Ivy Bridge CPU just like 99% of the people on this forum would.

Insults aren't necessary nor tolerated. Watch your mouth.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282333-31-read-first
  27. Dw Deus, he argues with everyone.
  28. This may be a tick compared to a tock, but it's a big tick. Let's stop trolling and be professionals attempting to help the OP.

Gentlemen.

We have stated our points, now hopefully the OP will do some research and see for himself what is best.
  29. I think I walked away from this forum even more confused than when I had first posted...
  30. Rbd25 said:
    I think I walked away from this forum even more confused than when I had first posted...

Oh god... Here dude, watch this video. Informational vid
  31. Alright so to clarify here, the only real difference between the 2 mentioned builds is One has an SSD included but no OS, the other has the OS but no SSD.

And the main debate between everyone in here is that one processor will run slightly better than the other when overclocked right? because as I stated I don't really have much of an interest in Overclocking at least not until I find I need to. This will be my first build and I wish to keep it fairly simple.
  32. Check out this build. This is what I last built. It was around $1000 when I got it. If you take a while to buy each part, then just get each one on sale. Each one of these parts has been on sale every week or two, so it shouldn't take too long.

Click here for build.
  33. Rbd25 said:
    Alright so to clarify here, the only real difference between the 2 mentioned builds is One has an SSD included but no OS, the other has the OS but no SSD.

And the main debate between everyone in here is that one processor will run slightly better than the other when overclocked right? because as I stated I don't really have much of an interest in Overclocking at least not until I find I need to. This will be my first build and I wish to keep it fairly simple.

Pretty much.

Overclocking is simple. With just a couple of clicks, you could easily get a 15-25% increase in gaming performance. Both the 2500k and 3570k are easily overclocked. They perform pretty much the same. The only key differences between the 2500k and the 3570k is temperature and PCIe 3.0 support. The 3570k runs hotter than the sandy bridge chip and therefore cannot be pushed as far as the 2500k. The 2500k, however, does not support PCIe 3.0. The only way this will matter is if you purchase a second graphics card and run them in SLI or Crossfire. If you plan on doing that, you'll need at least a 750w PSU to be safe.

I'm simply trying to give you the best bang for your buck whilst staying under budget. If you can fit in a 3570k and a Z77 based motherboard, by all means, get it. You'll appreciate the extra features in the future. As for now, any build listed thus far will get the job done. You'll just need to figure out what you and you're budget is comfortable with.
  34. Thank you for the explanation Deus, my next question is, if I selected your build what kind of gaming performance/FPS do you see me getting in 1920x1080 graphics with high/ultra settings, based on any of the more intensive of the games I listed in the OP?
  35. Here ya go...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-9.html <=== Skyrim

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-4.html <=== Battlefield 3

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279.html <=== Website with lots of benchmarks on various games including a second look at Skyrim and BF3 comparisons.

You'll have to scroll down and look for the resolution you'll be playing at (1920x1080). The hd 7950 and hd 7870 also performs very well. You may want to look into grabbing one of those instead. It's totally up to you though.

Not sure about DayZ, but I think I did see on one website where a guy got around 40-50 fps on Arma II. However, on BF3 and Skyrim you shouldn't have any problem. All those games you plan on running should be butter smooth.
  36. Best answer selected by Rbd25.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product