Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Black Screen/system freeze.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2012 5:56:17 AM

So here's the problem. I've had my system for over 3 years and finally decided to upgrade the GPU since I was using the onboard graphics and they weren't anywhere near good enough to play Diablo 3. I ordered an ATi Radeon 5450 but had problems when playing any game/using the system. The game/program would lock up, and become unresponsive. The whole computer would then swiftly follow suit.

I thought this problem was related to the card itself so sent it back and ordered a GeForce GT 630 thinking since it matches the chipset of the MB and is actually a much better (relatively speaking) upgrade for me. Alas I am running into the same problem.

MB: ASRock K10N78FullHD-hSLI
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950 (GeForce 8200 Chipset)
GPU: GeForce GT 630 1GB DDR3
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) 266MHz
PSU: Alpine 500W 120mm, +12VDC: 30A
OS: Vista Home Basic 64

I ran a stress test on CPU/GPU for about 10mins. CPU was fine, GPU crashed at about 86 degrees C.

BIOS is up to date (ver: 2.3, 7/16/2010), as is the MB drivers (ver: 1808, 4/14/2008). GPU driver is also newest (ver: 295.53, 5/16/2012).

The crashes seem to be random, but usually happen when playing a game. There is no overheating of GPU and game settings aren't set high at all.

I would appreciate any input as I'm hitting a brickwall in terms of what may be the problem.
July 13, 2012 9:11:40 AM

I may have solved the problem, tried this yesterday and not had any crashes yet (touch wood).

I wasn't sure if the MB chipset had been disabled properly, but I couldn't see it in device manager even by connection. I restarted, set output to onboard in BIOS, and restarted again. Once I was in device manager again and using the onboard VGA output, I disabled the 8200 whilst it was being used forcing me to reset the system. Luckily I could still go into bios from onboard VGA and set the output back to PCI-E.

I wouldn't recommend doing this since you're disabling something in use and have to reset the system without shutting down properly, but it seems to have go the job done.

I've read in lots of different forums about people having similar problems so this may help some you.
Related resources
!