Old CPU upgrade - Intel LGA775 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I hate to make everyone stretch their brains back to an older chipset, but...
I have a Gigabyte G41M-Combo (rev1.3) motherboard with 775 socket and Intel E6700 Core duo 3.20 GHz CPU. I bought it near EOL, of course, for a packaged up bargain upgrade from what I had before...it was a big step up from where I was, and for a really good price.

There are Intel quad-core CPU's similar to the dual-core processor I have now that will fit on this socket, and I was wondering if going to one of those quad-core CPU's is an option? Also, if I find one with slightly lower clock speed will it hurt performance even though it is quad core? I have sent a tech support request to Gigabyte to ask about any specific issues, as I believe they offered this mobo with the quad core chipset in one configuration or another at some time. But I was wondering if anyone could give me any practical advice about it - just because I can do it, and I can find a 775 quad core still sitting on the shelf somewhere, should I bother to do it? Are there any major issues I will face?

The computer works fine now for internet surfing, watching video's, etc. which is most of its life. However, I play a few online games (BF3, RoF, and now Planetside2). Computer performs well enough now for most, but Planetside2 min requirements are quad core, and I can tell the machine is struggling. I didn't want to go through a whole mobo upgrade just for a little gaming (I'm not an uber-gamer, just recreational).

Thanks!

Gigabyte G41M-Combo (rev1.3) mobo
Intel E6700 core duo CPU on LGA775 socket
4 GB (2x2) Crucial DDR3 1333MHz memory
ATI/Radeon 6850 1Gb graphics card
Asus DGx 5.1 sound card
Cable modem 40Mb/s download speed
Win7-64b Home Prem

cmi86

Distinguished
An Intel Core2Quad Q6600 can be had online for about $70 U.S. I use this CPU in my back up clocked at 3.0Ghz (which is about the max you will get out of that G41) paired with a GTX-260 and I still play all the newest games at high settings with respectable frame rates. Nothing wrong with it, it's still a solid quad. If you don't need all the extra ponies than there is no sense in going with an all new build.

twelve25

Distinguished
Q6600 is a slower clock rate quad core so for some games you might end with worse performance. Some newer ones that hit all 4 cores equally, it would be a little bit of an upgrade. Overclocking would require an upgraded cooler which just adds to the poor value.

Since you have DDR3 RAM, you might find a MB+CPU to be not much more expensive and considerably higher performing while leaving more upgrade options. Socket 775 is now 4 generations back. It's just not worth buying any parts for that system if you are looking for a performance upgrade.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hmmm...thanks to all...

So would you recommend AMD or Intel? I know there are lovers and haters of each...

My point in asking is just that I'm probably not going to be hunting the absolute top of the line mobo and CPU, I'm just going to see what the egg has on sale as a combo in the price range I want to spend, just like i did when I bought this one two years ago. If there is one that's a more solid choice than the others, it may factor into my decision.

I'm pretty sure I can use my GPU and sound card and memory and stuff...just a mobo change.

Thanks again.

twelve25

Distinguished
For dirt cheap gaming upgrade, a lot of people are running Phenom X4 965 Quad core processors. Tigerdirect has them for $75 for the OEM version. You can find really cheap motherboards for this platform, especially if you don't need SATA 6GB or USB 3.0, which if you are reusing old drives you likely can't use anyway. Add in a $20 upgrade cooler and you can even get a bit of an overclock (the OEM chip doesn't come with a fan).

Intel is king for gaming, but you won't find a new intel Quad core under about $160.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Well, Gigabyte responded and told me that the fastest chip i can put in the motherboard i have now is the core 2 quad 9650. When i looked it up, the comments i've seen say it's still a very good chip and performs well. It also looks like it's still running the same price as a new mobo with newer socket would cost, somewhere between $250 and $300, but i wasn't really planning to spend that much anyway... :( Not sure i'm ready to pull the trigger on this right now. Hmmm...

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for encouraging me not to waste money. I didn't really want to spend $300 anyway, even if it would be a nice upgrade. I don't really HAVE to upgrade right now, just noticed that one of the mmog's i'm playing lags and chokes when things get busy, and that's frustrating. But it's also not very important. ;)
I suppose i'll need to do some more research into sockets and chipsets, cuz i obviously have no idea what's out there right now.

Everyone has been helpful, thanks again!!

cmi86

Distinguished
lntel is on the 1155 socket with i3 dual cores on the bottom end, i5 quads in the mid range and i7 quads on the high end .

AMD is on the AM3+ Socket for their performance desktop chips with the FX-4XXX quad core on the bottom, FX-6XXX 6 core in the mid range and the FX-8XXX 8 core on the high end.

AMD also has offerings on the FM1/FM2 Sockets called APU's which are lower powered/lower clocked duals and quads with entry level-mid range graphics on chip. These APU's are very useful for home theater PC's and general use sytems with some light gaming. Hope this helps you.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
This is very helpful CMI86, thanks again for the quick response.

I still have no idea what I can get in terms of $$ when I put a mobo in the mix. It sounds like I'm going to have to spend $300 one way or the other just to get up in the quad cores that will perform decently... That's the point I was hoping would magically go away.

Not to sound pessimistic, just wasn't really "planning" on doing this at the moment. I just thought I would innocently start looking at what I might have to do (LOL!), and it seems that my graphics and sound cards are okay for now, not super, but good enough, and i'm in DDR3/1333 memory, so the choke point in my system seems to be the CPU.

The lagging concern in the back of my mind is whether I'll have to upgrade other stuff on a new mobo, like memory and such... A $225 upgrade turns into $400...you know what I mean...

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Okay, I looked over the architecture and sockets from Intel and it appears that the 1155 socket is the current one as you said, starting in 2011. I'll look and see what mobo/CPU combo's I can put together, and for how much.
Looks like the 1156 sockets which support the older i3/i5 chipsets are still available in pretty good volume. I would assume those would probably be more readily available in a "value-priced" motherboard/CPU combo?

Any disadvantage to getting a mobo with one of the older sockets, other than the obvious eventual obsolescence?

Is there any real disadvantage to looking at AMD chipsets also, since I'm looking? Purely ignorance on my part...

oGhastly

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I'd say buy a Phenom II X4 965 with a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX motherboard. In the future you could update the bios and buy a Vishera. Because the 6300 beats all i3's in gaming and is way cheaper than the i5's. You could also still use same memory.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Well oghastly and twelve25, i looked at what cpu/mobo combo's were available, and they were surprisingly cheaper than the intel equivalents. Makes me wonder why...?? Looks like the phenom 965 chip is also an older chip...but will fit in the newer socket, apparently. I'll have to check the combo's out again and be sure i'm looking at the Am3+ socket for correct comparison.

If you want to spend the least amount of money for an upgrade and do not want to both re-installing Windows, then consider the Q9550. You can immediately buy one for $128.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9550-AT80569PJ07-Socket-775-2-83GHz-12MB-Cache-QGPK-ES-READ-/190794159579?pt=CPUs&hash=item2c6c37d5db

Of course you can also try bidding on lower priced Q9550s such as the following which ends in around 41 hours from now; priced at $91. I'm sure you know how to search eBay on your own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9550-2-83-GHz-Quad-Core-EU80569PJ073N-Processor-/261163414367?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cce8d735f

You can compare performance of the Phenom II 965 and the Q9550 in the following link. The Q9550 is generally better.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/23?vs=50

=================================================================

Even though the Q9550 is relatively inexpensive and you need not bother re-installing Windows. There is no real further upside to LGA775, other than the Q9650 which is too expensive to consider at this point in time and that will not change in the future either. Switching over to the Phenom II X4 965 is not too much more expensive. Well... actually it will be somewhat expensive because you should invest money in a good AM3+ mobo that allows for good performance and is currently compatible with a PileDriver CPU. Sorry I do not know of a good AM3+ mobo. While the Phenom II X4 965 is not quite as good as the Q9550 in games, you can overclock it and it will provide you will some level of "future proof-ness".

Buying the PII 965 now will give you a bit of a boost in games that can make use of more than 2 cores and likely even with games that can only make use of 2 cores since the PII 965 overclocks well. You need to buy a good heatsink. Anywaste, the point of going with AM3+ is that you can potentially upgrade to Steamroller when it rolls out next year in 2014. It will not be an "Intel Killer", but it is an upgrade path to a better performing CPU in the future. The upgrade is not guaranteed because Steamroller might (I said might) need a new chipset.

How well will Steamroller perform? Unknown. The best guess that it will perform somewhere between an Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU assuming the same clockspeed. That should just be enough to stay competitive with Intel's Haswell CPU that will be released this year. However, in 2014 Intel will be releasing Broadwell and that should further extend Intel's performance lead by a decent amount. However, Haswell and Broadwell are going to be socket 1150 which is not compatible in motherboards designed for Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge; socket 1155.

While going with socket AM3+ is a good option for a balance of $$$ out of your pocket and performance, going with Intel now gives you the performance now rather than later even though socket 1155 is more or less a dead socket and it will cost you more money up front.

You can buy a PII X4 965 for $75 immediately...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-Processor-965-3-4GHz-AM3-HDZ965FBK4DGM-/380441617411?pt=CPUs&hash=item5894166403

... or you can browse around for auctions like the following one that is currently at $50, but there are 2 days left so expect it to go up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-3-4-GHz-Quad-Core-HDZ965FBGMBOX-Processor-/130845024296?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e76f8a028

twelve25

Distinguished

Because they are old! Intel switched sockets a couple years ago.

And Phenom is also 2 gens back.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Sigh... This whole "planned obsolescence" really sucks. :)

Okay, let's just say I buy a 775 socket intel chip like the 9550s discussed above so that all I have to do is upgrade the chip itself. Do I have to upgrade the BIOS when I change the chip out, or will it know what to do with the new chip? And if I have to change it, do I flash it before or after I change the chip?

twelve25

Distinguished
According to CPU list: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3505

9550 has been supported since BIOS F1, so you should not need a BIOS update.

To install the new CPU, you just remove the heatsink, lift the little lever for the CPU, remove the old CPU, lock down lever for CPU. Thoroughly clean heatsink bottom. Reapply new thermal paste to CPU, reinstall heatsink and connect fan power cable. It's not difficult if you use some caution.

vizwhiz

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Excellent...didn't think about the fact that Gigabyte would have that info out there...great find, and very helpful.

I have re-seated my current CPU once or twice, and the heat-sink several times before, and have good paste available, so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the advice.

I think what I am resolved to do for now is just go ahead and buy an upgrade CPU for this socket, like the 9550 or something, and just live with it for now. If I'm going to try to get a performance upgrade that is significant, I should probably plan to upgrade my graphics card anyway, since it was a middle-of-the-road when I bought it, and although it works well enough for now, it probably won't be worth trying to keep once I decide to upgrade. So a small chunk now, and a bigger upgrade chunk when I decide to really do it (new mobo, CPU, GPU).

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

The Q9550 is still a decent CPU.

My current CPU is the Q9450 OC'ed to 3.0GHz. I've been using it since it was released back in early 2008. It still provides me with enough performance that I decided to skip the Core i series so far.

I was originally planning to upgrade when Haswell comes out several months ago. However, I'm considering buying a new laptop so I might just postpone my desktop upgrade. My plan might be:

2013 (This year) - Haswell based laptop
2014 - Broadwell desktop upgrade (currently Q9450)
2015 - Skylake desktop upgrade ... Broadwell will go into my HTPC (currently C2D E6600).

twelve25

Distinguished
It's just a matter of what you need and want to pay for. There are much faster processors than a Q9500 out there, but it still performs like a latest gen $100-125 processor for most tasks. Something like an AMD FX-4300 or an Intel i3.

Matt0871980

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
as a building enthusiast , the q9550 still surprises me at how well it runs modern games and other applications . its stood the test of time and shows how well the lga 775 socket T chipset had the most revolutionary improvement in its lifespan and generations of cpus that being said i see no reason to consider upgrading a e6700 duo to a q9550 quad as a bad investment , i have an i5 2500k love it to death , i have yet to max its potential but i have a grand in that system from all the changeouts of ssds, motherboards etc. I also have a q9550 that i payed 125 at the time paired it with the now hard to find Asus P5G41T-mlx motherboard and i can't complain its still pretty zippy . if i were you i would consider for versatility a Phenom II x4 965 and an Asus M5A78L-MLX plus motherboard , you can get the combo for around 150 and its a very good all around gaming platform , i personally consider this the last respectable AMD effort , the fx chips have flaws , you actually can't play certain games with the FX chips ( original crysis for instance) if you go the AMD route PHenoms the best places to look if you want to keep your 775 alive the q9450 or 9550 is the place to look its your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.