Uninstall Compact Flash Card Reader

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 13, 2005 11:00:56 PM

I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one that
does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up" everything if I
only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did not install anything from
the CD.

In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the option
to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in order to keep
things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be removing anything
crucial, but it appears to not be since it disappears if I remove it from
the USB cord.

Tips?

LRH
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:20:50 PM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one
> that does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up"
> everything if I only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did
> not install anything from the CD.
>
> In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
> Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the
> option to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in
> order to keep things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be
> removing anything crucial, but it appears to not be since it
> disappears if I remove it from the USB cord.
>
> Tips?
>
> LRH

Drivers for these things consume *tiny* amounts of space.
I'd leave it on there.
-If your new drive ever dies, you'll be glad to have it, and if you remove
it...it will make such a tiny difference that removing ONE image file would
likely save you more space.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:05:53 AM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one that
> does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up" everything if I
> only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did not install anything from
> the CD.
>
> In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
> Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the option
> to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in order to keep
> things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be removing anything
> crucial, but it appears to not be since it disappears if I remove it from
> the USB cord.
>
> Tips?
>
> LRH

Windows Xp has its own generic device drivers for USB "Plug and Play"
Card Readers. Since you did not install a driver from a CD, there is
nothing to uninstall.
Just replace the old reader with your new "All in One"
When you plug it in, Win Xp will recognize it and install its own driver.
Bob Williams
Related resources
September 14, 2005 3:51:49 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:00:56 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr" <larrytucaz@cox.net>
wrote:

>I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one that
>does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up" everything if I
>only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did not install anything from
>the CD.
>
>In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
>Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the option
>to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in order to keep
>things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be removing anything
>crucial, but it appears to not be since it disappears if I remove it from
>the USB cord.
>
>Tips?
>
>LRH

You may as well kill it if you are permanently replacing it... after all, you
can always put it back...

You never know what windoze wants to do... I have to unplug my joystick to put
my steering wheel or windoze tries to make the steering wheel a joystick...
September 14, 2005 11:14:58 PM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one that
> does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up" everything if I
> only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did not install anything from
> the CD.
>
> In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
> Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the option
> to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in order to keep
> things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be removing anything
> crucial, but it appears to not be since it disappears if I remove it from
> the USB cord.

just ignore it no need to remove anything, just plug in the new reader
and let xp find it, xp has it's own drivers for these things so your new
reader will work fine.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:14:59 PM

"zog" <zog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
>> I am removing a Compact Flash card reader and replacing it with one that
>> does all of them. Do I need to uninstall it to "clean up" everything if I
>> only had Windows XP read it Plug/Play style? I did not install anything
>> from the CD.
>>
>> In System Properties...Device Manager, I see "Storage Volumes, Generic
>> Volume" pop-up; it disappears if I remove the card reader. I have the
>> option to "uninstall" it and I think I probably am supposed to in order
>> to keep things as "clean" as possible. I just don't want to be removing
>> anything crucial, but it appears to not be since it disappears if I
>> remove it from the USB cord.
>

> just ignore it no need to remove anything, just plug in the new reader and
> let xp find it, xp has it's own drivers for these things so your new
> reader will work fine.
I'm not sure if windows physically deletes a driver or simply no longer
loads the driver. For xp, point is mute, since as stated, generic drivers
are already present.
For xp, if you have reserved drive letters under hardware settings you might
want to revise those settings.
Dave Cohen
!