Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What to upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 30, 2012 7:59:10 PM

Hello,

I want to upgrade my desktop gaming pc (specs are in my signature) and I can't decide what to buy. I currently game at 1920x1080 and I'm playing metro 2033 (hopefully last light as well) and looking forward to Borderlands 2. I can't decide between getting a Geforce GTX 660 Ti (GPU upgrade) or the following (system upgrade):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $298.96
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 16:01 EDT-0400)

was wondering what option would get me more bang for the buck (leaning towards the system upgrade ATM)?.

Update: Here's my current system (provided by Speccy)
Operating System: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P35-DS3L (Socket 775)
Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 560 (MSI)
Hard Drive: 488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA)
Power Supply (not provided by Speccy): SeaSonic 750 watts

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2012 9:43:01 PM

Please detail your system specs. When editing a post, the signature is lost.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 30, 2012 10:52:30 PM

-UPDATED post to include current desktop specs
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 2:48:35 AM

I really don't see either upgrade option as being worth the cost. Yes, your current CPU is showing it's age, but that doesn't mean it's not up to snuff. I just don't see spending $300 just to regain a 10% (guestimate) return in performance.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 1:15:16 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I really don't see either upgrade option as being worth the cost. Yes, your current CPU is showing it's age, but that doesn't mean it's not up to snuff. I just don't see spending $300 just to regain a 10% (guestimate) return in performance.

-Wolf sends


Alright, Let's say "if" you saw it worth the cost ;) , what option would you recommend?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 2:20:59 PM

*IF* I were to spend money on this system, I'd salvage the graphics card, power supply, optical drive and maybe the case (you didn't specify). For all else, go with new components (I5 3570, Z77 Motherboard, RAM, and SATA 6.0 SSD and HDD). However, that's going to cost a lot more than $300.

-Wolf sends
Share
August 31, 2012 2:38:34 PM

Wolfshadw said:
*IF* I were to spend money on this system, I'd salvage the graphics card, power supply, optical drive and maybe the case (you didn't specify). For all else, go with new components (I5 3570, Z77 Motherboard, RAM, and SATA 6.0 SSD and HDD). However, that's going to cost a lot more than $300.

-Wolf sends


Hmm...I'm guessing you've recommended the Z77 chipset for future-proofing sake but why the i5-3570 over the i5-3450? seems like clock speed is the only difference (unless I'm missing something :p ).
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 3:38:44 PM

No, you're not missing anything, but if I'm upgrading, I feel the extra $30 for the I5-3570K is worth it. To me, an upgrade of your current system should not be budget bound. If it is, then the upgrade is not worth it.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 3:50:13 PM

Wolfshadw said:
No, you're not missing anything, but if I'm upgrading, I feel the extra $30 for the I5-3570K is worth it. To me, an upgrade of your current system should not be budget bound. If it is, then the upgrade is not worth it.

-Wolf sends


Good point, I'll probably go with the following then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $389.97
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 11:49 EDT-0400)

what do you think?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 5:23:10 PM

As long as you're not looking to go with any dual-graphic options, then it all looks good. Otherwise, look for a Z77 motherboard that has at least two PCI-Ex16 3.0 slots.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 5:34:43 PM

Wolfshadw said:
As long as you're not looking to go with any dual-graphic options, then it all looks good. Otherwise, look for a Z77 motherboard that has at least two PCI-Ex16 3.0 slots.

-Wolf sends


Nah, I'm going to stick with a single card setup. Thanks for the help man. much appreciated :D 
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 5:34:50 PM

Best answer selected by ghost19.
m
0
l
!