adamelmore

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I just setup my blog and my first post outlines my unique home office setup, including details of my custom built workstation.

Read more here:
http://adamelmore.net/office/

Specs:
Processor– Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition
Motherboard– ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79
RAM– Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
PSU– Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 1200W
GPU– 2x ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II
Storage–
240GB OCZ RevoDrive 3 PCI-E (OS / Applications)
480GB Corsair Force Series GT SATA III (Storage)
24GB RamDisk (Some applications, browser caches, temp files, etc.)
Case– Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
Displays–
Samsung MD230X6
2x Samsung 650 Series 27” (Portrait)

Office3.jpg

Office8.jpg

Raisins_Face.jpg

I'm going to guess...$6K? 8K?
Some of this is monstrously impressive stuff, but some of it really is useless. That PSU, for instance: you'll never use more than 700W, and probably much less even under maximum load. You'll also never use more than (maybe, maybe) 12gb of RAM. Otherwise, beastly.
What do you actually do with this thing? I swear if you don't game in your spare time I'll scream at those poor, wasted 7970s.

adamelmore

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

I don't have an exact figure on cost; I built it back in March and I upgraded to this monitor array at the same time, so it's hard to remember what the hardware totals were. I think the entire project (monitors and all) cost around $10K.

Re: PSU, you're right. But, the cost of breathing room on a PSU is negligible, and I'd rather have excess for the sake of longevity.
Re: RAM, 24 GB are used for a RamDisk, 12 GB are used for a disk cache, and the other ~30 GB are typically utilized at 50-60%. So, you're right in that sense (12-15 GB), but I use over half of the available RAM for disk performance improvements.

I use this setup for software design/development/testing/documenting, and other odds and ends management duties. I wear a lot of hats and needed a larger than average hat rack, if you will. No gaming, though I did some in college. The cards were chosen for their output profile (4xDP, 2xDVI each).

I forgot about all that RAM wizardry. How do you manage to have that extra 15gb in use? CAD, Photoshop and Maya at the same time?
Oh, right, that's a $1000 CPU. It didn't enter my mind that anyone would buy such a thing when I ballparked the price :D

The graphics cards make some twisted kind of sense. You've done your research. Well done.

adamelmore

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Mostly development related stuff (IDEs, test sites, etc.). I run Dexpot and typically have various projects isolated within virtual desktops, each loaded up with multiple instances of Visual Studio, SSMS, trading apps, debuggers, and lots of browsers. It's not uncommon for me to have over 100 chrome tabs open on any given day, across all of my virtual desktops.

TRENDING THREADS