Sign in with
Your question

Does Nvidia optimus make my computer last longer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2012 8:58:14 AM

Ok so I have a Alienware x51. It has Nvidia Optimus. So when im browsing the net and other non gaming stuff it uses less power.

Is that going to be a big help in the long haul to keep my computer lasting longer? Cause I leave my computer on 24/7. Im also thinking about updating my video driver but if I did that I would lose the Nvidia Optimus support. Optimus using very low power could be very beneficial to the lifespan of my computer. So be best to wait for a video update with Optimus support?

July 12, 2012 9:14:35 AM

You shouldn't loose optimus support by upgrading the graphics driver; if anything, the driver update may fix certain bugs that prevent optimus from being used more often. While you shouldn't have any issues having the laptop running 24/7, I wouldn't recommend it. The cooling system wasn't designed for 24/7 usage. Also, restarting every once in a while does wonders for Windows' stability and resource management.
m
l
July 12, 2012 10:09:20 AM

Its a desktop.

I keep it on pretty much all the time because I get on and off the comp all the time.
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:57:12 PM

Norrec69 said:
Its a desktop.

I keep it on pretty much all the time because I get on and off the comp all the time.

My mistake. I just affiliate optimus and alienware with laptops. :lol: 

In that case, 24/7 shouldn't be an issue. If you are really concerned about power management, you may want to look into under-volting as well. It can yield quantifiable power savings if either the GPU or CPU are under-volted. Manufacturers tend to run the voltage a few mV high to get a few more chips stable, but most don't need the extra voltage.

My other points still stand though. GPU driver update should be helpful, if anything, and restarting Windows is good every once in a while.
m
l
Related resources
!