Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Need advice on Sapphire HD7970 OC vs MSI GTX 670 Power edition OC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2012 11:31:19 AM

Basically I need to choose between these two cards:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

I know that the 670 in this case has more features and performs better, but I'm wondering if I can over clock the 7970 to a point where it will have similar temps (according to tweaktown.com the 7970 is 56 degrees celcius under load, and the 670 is 69 degrees celius under load) and perform better for games like metro 2033, BF3, Crysis 2 etc. and I heard that the 670 is annoying to OC, and I will not be water cooling. I don't care for physX, as it is only available in a few games.

I'm currently using a 3570k, just using intel hd4000 for now, on an ASUS p8-z77 PRO mobo, Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB (2x4GB) RAM all powered by a corsair HX850 PSU and housed inside the sexy nzxt phantom. I should also add that I will be using a 1920x1080p monitor, but will probably upgrade to a 2560x1440p monitor relatively soon. I have no plans to go with a SLI or Crossfire X set up.

Please realise that it has to be from pccasegear.com, as I am in Australia and it has the cheapest parts within Australia. I DON'T want to see any comments about how I should buy from a different site because "it's so much cheaper". I also don't want any comments telling me to get a different gpu (eg. gtx680, radeon 7950 etc.), but advice on different cards so long as they use the same gpu and are available on pccasegear.com is fine.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 11:47:20 AM

1.Nvidia really only has 3D and Physx on AMD
2.both cards preform very well as is, and the 670 has a stock clock, and a boost clock, which i find to be the smarter way because it only uses more power, and creates more heat when required, instead of just because it's under some load
3. the 7970 is a good card, with lots of overclocking headroom, i would suggest either of these cards, it really depends if you prefer the red team or the green team
Score
0
July 12, 2012 11:59:15 AM

The GTX 670 does not perform better (on average) than the HD 7970. The 670 is more difficult to OC, and the 7970 will likely give you more OC headroom.

An overclocked 7970 matches an overclocked 680 on average, and a stock 7970 is between a 670 and 680. Since the 7970 is cheaper, there isn't any reason to get the 670 unless you want one of the Nvidia-specific features (the most meaningful of which is PhysX).

Also, at 2560x1440, the 7970 will perform better relative to the Kepler competition - its performance scales better with higher resolution than the 670/680 does.
Score
0
Related resources
July 12, 2012 12:08:42 PM

BigMack70 said:
The GTX 670 does not perform better (on average) than the HD 7970. The 670 is more difficult to OC, and the 7970 will likely give you more OC headroom.

An overclocked 7970 matches an overclocked 680 on average, and a stock 7970 is between a 670 and 680. Since the 7970 is cheaper, there isn't any reason to get the 670 unless you want one of the Nvidia-specific features (the most meaningful of which is PhysX).

Also, at 2560x1440, the 7970 will perform better relative to the Kepler competition - its performance scales better with higher resolution than the 670/680 does.



Yes, on average the 7970 performs better but in this case, msi has done a good job of overclocking and as such it performs better than most 7970's until you manually overclock them. The biggest point that I'm asking is would this particular 7970 be able to be overclocked to ~70 degrees and perform better than this specific 670? Thanks for the input anyway, I probably should've been more specific than I was.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 12:11:13 PM

the 7970 has alot more performance to give than stock
Score
0
July 12, 2012 12:14:30 PM

nna2 said:
the 7970 has alot more performance to give than stock


I know, but would it beat the msi by a considerable amount? I need to know if it beats it by enough to compensate for the lack of features that nvidia cards have.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 12:23:30 PM

there is no reason to go for the 670 at that price, and Nvidia aren't that behind, they have surround gaming, which needs work, but it's coming along
Share
July 12, 2012 12:34:37 PM

nna2 said:
there is no reason to go for the 670 at that price, and Nvidia aren't that behind, they have surround gaming, which needs work, but it's coming along


Ok, I'll go with AMD then. Thanks for helping :) 
Score
0
July 12, 2012 12:35:00 PM

Best answer selected by Eggleburt.
Score
0
July 12, 2012 12:50:07 PM

Eggleburt said:
Yes, on average the 7970 performs better but in this case, msi has done a good job of overclocking and as such it performs better than most 7970's until you manually overclock them. The biggest point that I'm asking is would this particular 7970 be able to be overclocked to ~70 degrees and perform better than this specific 670? Thanks for the input anyway, I probably should've been more specific than I was.


The overclocks are similar (Sapphire = 8% OC, MSI = 11% OC), and on the newest drivers (12.7), that 7970 will beat that 670 on average, without any overclocking.
Score
0
July 12, 2012 1:09:47 PM

nna2 said:
^not to mention that the 670 is more expensive in this situation

i know alot of people hate ebay but... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gigabyte-GV-N670OC-2GD-GeFo...


I don't really trust ebay, and also that has a blue pcb (ew lol)... I'm pretty convinced I want a 7970 anyway now, but thanx anyway
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:13:44 PM

whhaaa, why does everyone hate blue pcb, i personally hate the red ati pcb alot more lol
Score
0
July 12, 2012 1:26:04 PM

nna2 said:
whhaaa, why does everyone hate blue pcb, i personally hate the red ati pcb alot more lol


I don't know, it just looks too bright... To be honest I only like black, and maybe green if it's retro (like in the old see-through gameboys). The worst imo is white
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:39:13 PM

guess it's personal preference, my blue PCB fits in with my scheme, and white PCB, pics or it didn't happen... lol
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:55:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!