Cosmos?

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 8:42:34 PM

I am new to WoW and have just begun to hear about Cosmos...first off, is it
legal? I know Blizzard had a cow over MapQuest in Diablo. What I hope it
does is to help find quest items. I looked for the Red Crystal in Darkshore
for an hour and never found it and I hear Cosmos can give exact location.
In any event, can anyone give me hint to where this crystal is? Allakhazam
has graphic saying it is near moonkin cave next to mountain but I have went
up and down the mountain and do not see it. Is it something tiny on the
ground?
Thanks.

More about : cosmos

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 8:42:35 PM

My Name wrote:
> I am new to WoW and have just begun to hear about Cosmos...first off, is it
> legal? I know Blizzard had a cow over MapQuest in Diablo.

Well, they *inferred* they had a cow about MapHack (MapQuest is for
road maps) but they never came out and said it and certainly never
procecuted the guy.

Anyway, Blizzard has gotten over themselves in that regard. They opened
up the UI to modifications via lua scripting. They even host a forum on
their web site that discusses how to do it.

So, yes. Cosmos is legal and ethical. So is CTMod (which I like more),
the mods available at www.curse-gaming.com and so forth. If they don't
like mods taking advantage of something they don't like, they'll patch
their UI so it's no longer functional. A good example was mods that
used to show the true level of a ?? mob.

Regards,
Noal
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 4:05:01 AM

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 8:54:53 AM

Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:

> Maybe you could download the release .zip and put it in the addons
> directory without running cosmos.exe (as it says in the helpfile).

That's what I did.

> I also need an arrow on the minimap to get back to the graveyard in case
> I can't find the way to my body (shame on me, but that happens
> sometimes). And an arrow that helps me with my current quest thus :-)

Hmmm. I have never had this happen. I've died in inconvenient places
before, but never so bad that it would be worth using the spirit
healer. Of course you know when you rez at the spirit guy your stuff
loses 25% durability. When you die, your stuff loses 10% durability.
This means you'd have to be in a situation where you die 3 more times
before using the spirit guy is the right choice. Given the fairly wide
rezzing range and the fact that you can go pretty much wherever you
want while in ghost form, I've never had more than 1 additional death
after the first one. Rez at the furthest edge of the rez range, then
run until you die and come back and rez further away again. Or else,
find some remote corner to rez in and then hit hearth immediately.

> And I would like to find quest givers more easily. Usually I miss some
> because they are at an illogical location or if I forget about them.

I think this ought to be part of the game to begin with. It marks the
location of quest enders, so why not mark the location of quest givers
too.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 9:55:58 AM

patrick.barnes@standardregister.com wrote:
> Hmmm. I have never had this happen. I've died in inconvenient places
> before, but never so bad that it would be worth using the spirit
> healer.

Try the exact center of the lava pool in Blackrock Mountain. :-P

Regards,
Noal
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 11:58:56 AM

Cosmos would only help you because then you could ask for and see the
coordinates on the map for this Red Crystal you are looking for. Other
add ons provided the coordinates as well. Cosmos is buggy and adds in
wierd things and I quickly unloaded it. I use Titan Panel (which will
give you coordinates) and recently picked up CT_Mod. CastParty (click
a party members health bar to do the appropriate heal, right-click to
do the best fast heal. Nifty.)

The Red Crystal...

Head East out of Auberdine. Run to the mountains till you can't run
anymore. You should be directly east of Auberdine. You'll see a good
many White Moonkin walking around. (Level 13 if I remember right.)
The Red Crystal is up on a hill that's tucked right about up against
the mountains. You need to look about halfway up the mountain to spot
it. You climb the hill, and I recall going up it from the north side.
(I.e. go to the north side of the hill and move south to climb up.)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 4:57:37 PM

August 25, 2005 8:36:38 PM

patrick.barnes@standardregister.com a écrit :
> Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:
>
>>Maybe you could download the release .zip and put it in the addons
>>directory without running cosmos.exe (as it says in the helpfile).
>

> That's what I did.
>

>>I also need an arrow on the minimap to get back to the graveyard in case
>>I can't find the way to my body (shame on me, but that happens
>>sometimes). And an arrow that helps me with my current quest thus :-)
>>

> Hmmm. I have never had this happen. I've died in inconvenient places
> before, but never so bad that it would be worth using the spirit
> healer.

Lazy people like the spririt healer; after 3 or 4 consective wipes in an
instance sometimes it's the only way to stop yourself from throwing the
keyboard out the window. Speak to the healer and go do something else!
Saves time and if your gear is already in the red, doesn't make much
difference

Mage Kirin Tor

Of course you know when you rez at the spirit guy your stuff
> loses 25% durability. When you die, your stuff loses 10% durability.
> This means you'd have to be in a situation where you die 3 more times
> before using the spirit guy is the right choice. Given the fairly wide
> rezzing range and the fact that you can go pretty much wherever you
> want while in ghost form, I've never had more than 1 additional death
> after the first one. Rez at the furthest edge of the rez range, then
> run until you die and come back and rez further away again. Or else,
> find some remote corner to rez in and then hit hearth immediately.
>

>>And I would like to find quest givers more easily. Usually I miss some
>>because they are at an illogical location or if I forget about them.
>

> I think this ought to be part of the game to begin with. It marks the
> location of quest enders, so why not mark the location of quest givers
> too.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 4:43:53 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:36:38 +0200, Mel <melodie@pasdespam.chezmoi>
wrote:

>Lazy people like the spririt healer; after 3 or 4 consective wipes in an
>instance sometimes it's the only way to stop yourself from throwing the
>keyboard out the window. Speak to the healer and go do something else!
>Saves time and if your gear is already in the red, doesn't make much
>difference

Except if you got extra equipment in your bags (eg. our resident druid
with his 2 filled 16 slot bags) - dying gives -10% durability to all
equipped items, using a spirit healer gives -25% durability to all
items on you, both equipped and that in your bags.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Brian wrote:
<snip>
> The nice thing about Allakhazam's reader (I don't know if Thott's is the
> same or not) is that the data collection is done through a standard LUA
> mod. No .exe needed. Then there's a separate .exe piece that you run once
> or twice a week to upload the data from the LUA mod to Alla's website.

I am being overly paranoid here, but it must be stated that a program
that *knows* World of Warcraft is installed on a computer must be
classified differently in a threat model than a program that doesn't
have this knowledge.

Allakhazam is great though. I just looked up the mean price of wool and
it was 5 silver as I suspected and not 50 coper as some player dared ask
me for it (I even offered it for 1 silver but she refused; next time I
will ask 2 or 3 silver, backed up with my new knowledge from Allakhazam!).

Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
!