Sign in with
Your question

Need help portforwarding

Last response: in Networking
September 2, 2011 2:29:09 AM

I have never managed to get a port forwarded. I want to create a TF2 server out of spare computer parts I still have around, but before I do that I want to check if I can forward the right port.

I forwarded in the router like this:

But canyouseeme.org says it can't see me: Error: I could not see your service on 178.84.XXX.XXX on port (27015)
Reason: Connection timed out

Anyone wants to help me? I've tried forwarding ports before but I never managed to succeed.

More about : portforwarding

September 2, 2011 5:52:44 AM

did you assign the IP as a Static IP to the server?

does the server have a firewall?
September 2, 2011 1:57:02 PM

Emerald said:
did you assign the IP as a Static IP to the server?

does the server have a firewall?

Static IP means that a certain computer or device will always have the same local IP? If the answer is yes, then yes.
There is no server yet, before I set up a server (on a different computer I'm yet to assemble) I want to successfully portforward first.
Related resources
September 2, 2011 1:58:23 PM

Pffft, I'm not allowed to edit my post.
What I wanted to add: The computer on 192.168.1.101 is my main computer. I forwarded the port on that one so I could check if the port would be open or not.
September 2, 2011 2:06:02 PM

Do you know if your ISP blocks that port? Also, you said you had it pointed to a different machine, is there anything listening on that port? The way you have it set up appears correct, but if the machine is not accepting traffic on that port then it will show as failure.
September 2, 2011 2:28:48 PM

I don't think my ISP blocks those ports.
Listening means there is something like a source-game server running? No, there's not. Does a server need to be active before the port would be opened or something?
September 2, 2011 4:01:29 PM

Correct. If there is nothing for it to connect to on that port, that means that the connection will fail. This is true even if the forwarding is working correctly.

From what I can see, the forwarding is correct. Once you have the actual game server up and running, swap the IP over and test it again.
September 2, 2011 4:07:39 PM

Yeah, I read something about needing a server up to test it some minutes ago on Google. I'm currently installing the software to run a TF2 server.
September 2, 2011 4:33:42 PM

Cool, let me know how it goes.
September 2, 2011 5:01:35 PM

It worked :D  That's reassuring.
On a related note. I'm out of ethernetports on my router. I read something about a internet switch that let's you add ports or something? What are my options for this?
September 2, 2011 5:37:23 PM

Yet again, I can't edit my post. I just remembered that I still have some old routers around. Can I use one of those as a ethernetswitch?
September 2, 2011 8:01:53 PM

I would not recommend that. You should be able to pick up a switch at any electronics store for between $20 and $50 depending on the number of ports you need.
September 2, 2011 8:48:46 PM

ender2003 said:
I would not recommend that. You should be able to pick up a switch at any electronics store for between $20 and $50 depending on the number of ports you need.

Why not? This way is free.
September 2, 2011 9:02:07 PM

Would involve a bit of configuring, especially default gateways and whatnot. I have not had much luck with doing that and switches are rather affordable. If you are comfortable with doing to configuration, then it should not be an issue.
September 2, 2011 11:22:37 PM

ender2003 said:
Would involve a bit of configuring, especially default gateways and whatnot. I have not had much luck with doing that and switches are rather affordable. If you are comfortable with doing to configuration, then it should not be an issue.

Ah, ok. Well, it's worth the try, since I have already have them around.
September 3, 2011 4:56:22 PM

Well, that wasn't as hard as you made it out to be. It worked. Thanks for the help, all!
!