Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Nikon NEF

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 14, 2005 9:25:54 AM

I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW files
from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc etc.
For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
language to support batch processing?

Gregor
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:20:48 PM

GTO <gregor_o@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
> I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW files
> from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
> supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
> calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
> spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc etc.
> For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
> good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
> language to support batch processing?

Gregor, how much slower is it due to the new 16-bit support?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:36:56 AM

It's surprisingly fast. I expected a noticeable slow down. For instance
noise reduction is as fast as with version 9. It requires more memory, but
with 1GB, my laptop is doing just fine. BTW, while I was able to crash
version 9 rather frequently, so far, I was not able to crash this new
version. - I was really reluctant to upgrade since I mostly use Nikon
Capture 4 for my work. But so far, I am impressed.

Gregor

"Bill Tuthill" <can@spam.co> wrote in message news:43283fd0@news.meer.net...
> GTO <gregor_o@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>> I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW
>> files
>> from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
>> supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
>> calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
>> spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc
>> etc.
>> For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
>> good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
>> language to support batch processing?
>
> Gregor, how much slower is it due to the new 16-bit support?

September 15, 2005 12:56:12 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:25:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "GTO"
<gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW files
>from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
>supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
>calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
>spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc etc.
>For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
>good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
>language to support batch processing?

Unfortunately, you still have absolutely no control over the raw
conversion process. To me this is still a major drawback.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:15:01 PM

What control do you want?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:15:02 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:15:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Arthur Small"
<arthurh(NOSPAM)@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>What control do you want?

Well, IIRC PSP9 at least had rudimentary exposure and WB controls on raw
conversion process. Ideally something like Adobe ACR in PS Elements 3. or
better.The 10 demo I'm trying has none. If you want a raw conversion
workflow they offer RSE. I've had that since it came out but am interested
in a workflow that I don't have to save an intermediate file if I don't
want to.

I've been a PSP user for years, but recently bought PSE3 to use instead of
using Capture or RSE on every shot.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 16, 2005 9:31:51 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:15:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Arthur Small"
<arthurh(NOSPAM)@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>What control do you want?

Also, it currently strips out all exif info. The web site mentions this
will be fixed in a maintenance release. How could you release such a new
and improved version with this deficiency?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 16, 2005 10:28:57 AM

If you need full control with Nikon NEF, you need to use Capture 4.3.1.
Today, not even CS2 gives you better control for NEF than the $99 Nikon
Capture. But in a year, we will get our "full control" in Windows Vista
(including color spaces) ;-)

For now, PSP X looks pretty good. Works much better than version 9 ever has.
And later, all this finally goes out of the applications and into the OS,
where it belongs. After all, the monitor/printer calibration nightmare and
the differences between various applications in how colors are interpreted
should be managed at a central location in the OS and not scattered all over
the place. I think that it is slowly time for such a move since computers
can do this much better than the average user when trying to match the look
on the paper with what is actually displayed on a reasonably calibrated
monitor.

Gregor

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:25:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "GTO"
> <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW
>>files
>>from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
>>supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
>>calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
>>spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc etc.
>>For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
>>good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
>>language to support batch processing?
>
> Unfortunately, you still have absolutely no control over the raw
> conversion process. To me this is still a major drawback.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:28:58 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:28:57 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "GTO"
<gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>If you need full control with Nikon NEF, you need to use Capture 4.3.1.
>Today, not even CS2 gives you better control for NEF than the $99 Nikon
>Capture.

I've been using Capture, RSE, but they require one save a 16 bit tiff as an
intermediary step, something I'm looking to avoid if possible. One reason,
I'm currently using PSE3 to see how the results are.

>For now, PSP X looks pretty good. Works much better than version 9 ever has.

Never upgraded to PSP9, stayed with PSP8. I still find some tools in it
better than in Elements3, such as the cropping tools as a first.

>And later, all this finally goes out of the applications and into the OS,
>where it belongs. After all, the monitor/printer calibration nightmare and
>the differences between various applications in how colors are interpreted
>should be managed at a central location in the OS and not scattered all over
>the place. I think that it is slowly time for such a move since computers
>can do this much better than the average user when trying to match the look
>on the paper with what is actually displayed on a reasonably calibrated
>monitor.

Not waiting. I all ready use a Spyder to calibrate my monitors and use
color managed tools. Another reason I never upgraded to PSP9 as it still
had the CM limitations of 8.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 25, 2005 2:47:13 PM

On 13-Sep-05 22:25, GTO wrote:
> I just got my upgrade, the Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used it with RAW files
> from Nikon (called NEF) and it worked great. Most of its tools are now
> supporting 16-bit per color channel. Additionally, a reasonable monitor
> calibration is provided and full support for Adobe RGB and sRGB color
> spaces. The package is full with multi-layer editing features etc etc etc.
> For around US$129, it is certainly a good alternative for all that need a
> good tool to process their RAW and JPEG images. - Did I mention the macro
> language to support batch processing?

Good, you are however always managing to mention or not to mention
things randomly:

Paint Shop Pro X *does not run on WinMe or W98!!

Careful, you might just land where I am now: Sending it back!!!
I will still be using PaintShop 7 (Jasc is still on the box...)

Thomas

!