Sign in with
Your question

Adding graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2012 3:49:33 PM

I am thinking about purchasing an Asus A53SD ES71. In the specs it says the Graphics "Coprocessor" is NVIDIA GT 610M 2G, and card ram size is 2000MB. However, I am considering getting the Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 card, which retails for about 80, to get better graphics. Firstly, can I put this card into that computer? And, is it necessary to spend the extra 80 when I will already have the NVIDIA GT 610M? However, why spend $700 to get a laptop with decent graphics when I am just going to install a diff. card anyway? Perhaps I should just allocate the $ resources to a better spec., like rpm (this one is 5400), and get the Radeon chip put in that one. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

More about : adding graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 4:04:15 PM

Changing the graphics card in a laptop is notoriously difficult, if not impossible. It is always better to get the laptop with the graphics you want already installed.
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 4:07:34 PM

With a laptop, your best option is to get the best specs already in the computer so you don't have to take it apart.

The 5400 rpm will make loading times for games slow. But, if you don't mind it, then thats okay. You probably want a dedicated (separate) graphics card for a laptop if you ever want to upgrade. Overall, get a laptop with stronger graphics and a good processor.
Related resources
July 12, 2012 4:23:49 PM

Cool, thanks. I just want a decent graphics setup to run my GIS software quickly. The processor is i7-2670GM, which has 4 cores so that is plenty for me. Unfortunately, anything with decent graphics and 7200rpm is out of my price range ($750). So I think this is a good deal for my needs. I can prob. find it for about $700. Does anyone have problems with Asus? Is the NVIDIA GT 610M any better than like an Integrated HD 3000 that comes with most other Asuses?
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 4:28:11 PM

There's no problem with it. It'll be better than the HD 3000.
!