Sign in with
Your question

4850 crossfire w/ Litepower 600?

Last response: in Components
January 14, 2013 11:55:24 AM

Can my PSU handle it?
I already have a single 4850 running fine.
I could get another one here for 35$ so it's really tempting :D 

rest of my specs:
Phenom 980
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
8gb RAM
2x 7200 rpm HDD
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 12:14:54 PM

give us more detailed specs on the psu such as how many rails it has
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 11:28:01 PM

That is really pushing it on that PSU, I would go with something like a Thermaltake TR2 Bronze 700w which I actually own that has 57 amps on the 12v rail where as your PSU only has 45 amps on the 12v rails.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 11:39:44 PM

For a system using two Radeon HD 4850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 550 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Thermaltake Litepower 600W (W0355), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36.7 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 4850 in 2-way CrossFire mode.

Your PSU is not a 600 Watt PSU. It is a 500 Watt PSU. This is typical Thermaltake deceptive marketing practices.
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:45:22 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using two Radeon HD 4850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 550 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Thermaltake Litepower 600W (W0355), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36.7 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 4850 in 2-way CrossFire mode.

Your PSU is not a 600 Watt PSU. It is a 500 Watt PSU. This is typical Thermaltake deceptive marketing practices.

It is because litepower is a crap series for gaming computers, if you want to run a gaming computer you should really use TR2 or Toughpower
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
January 15, 2013 3:48:30 AM

goldsauce said:
It is because litepower is a crap series for gaming computers, if you want to run a gaming computer you should really use TR2 or Toughpower

No. [:lutfij:2]
No.
No.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:43:04 AM

amuffin said:
No. [:lutfij:2]
No.
No.

What is so bad about TR2 and Toughpower they both perform very well that's why I chose one, my 700w has 57 amps on the 12v rail tell me that isn't good!
m
l
!